Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a way to cross refference these tags to determine what transmission`s will correctly enterchange?
my bellhousing Tag reads TZ1A4ZCABA-WL and the vehicle I.D Tag reads
Transmission Type TZ1A4ZCABA what is the breakdown of these numbers?
how do you determine what will enterchange?

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Pretty sure most of us just bolt them on and hope. . .provided the FD ratios are correct, which is easier to look up.

95-98 I'm pretty sure any OB auto will work with any other OB auto same year. 99 is different, or at least the bell housings gained 4 extra bolts. That continued on into the 2nd gen cars. They will physically bolt up (even with the extra bolts) and should plug in but whether it'll work or not I can't say.

The rule of thumb on final drive ratios is it's dependent on overall tire size. . . so when going from an Outback to a Legacy, shorter tires=more revs per mile=higher FD ratio. . . so Outback autos typically have 4.44:1 final drive ratios, Legacy autos will be 4.11:1. Manual trans cars get different FD ratios still. . .same rules apply tho.

You can run a regular Legacy auto trans in an Outback if you swap the rear diff along with it. There are some benefits to doing this, better fuel economy mostly. Your takeoff times will decrease so don't go that route if you plan on drag-racing it. . .horrible 60 foot times anyway :lol:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
my bellhousing Tag reads TZ1A4ZCABA-WL and the vehicle I.D Tag reads
Transmission Type TZ1A4ZCABA what is the breakdown of these numbers?
you can use ant auto trans with a tag number that starts with TZ1A4Z..... they are all the same EXCEPT for the final drive ratio. you will need to double check that.

a good guestimate on final drive ratios, 00 - 04 is outbacks and GTs have a 4.44 final drive ratio. leagcy L, brightons, (and low end imprezas, this is just a guess, i am not familiar with the impreza models) have a 4.11 final drive ratio.

you can confirm your final drive ratio by looking up the part number for your ''ring and pinion'' in your diff on http://opposedforces.com/parts .
it will be listed in the drive ''TRAIN'' section.

it will look like this, item #15 in link below:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_21/train/differential_individual/illustration_2/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please can someone help!
I have a 2001 Subaru outback with a shot gearbox.
My box number is tv1a4yvcaa ??
I have found a replacement but the number is TV1B4YVDAA-RK
Will it fit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
A1SSE1966
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing