Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys the 20 amp #4 fuse on my 2002 outback keeps blowing. This fuse controls the fan motors, cigarette lighters, power mirrors and make up mirror lights, and either the seat heaters and/or their switches. I bought the car two months ago with it blown, and have replaced it 5-6 times since. Sometimes it would go a day without blowing, other times weeks. It blew two days ago, then last night and when I put a new fuse in last night it blew instantly. I'm thinking it's a short somewhere in the system but don't know how to look, or too much experience with electric systems. Any help would be appreciated folks.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,924 Posts
Does the fuse life correlate to how much you run the HVAC fan?
It could be the blower motor is dragging and drawing more current than normal.
I'll guess you're not running the seat heaters right now (but maybe you are!).
If it were a hard short, the fuse would blow almost immediately after replacement. If you can access the connector for the blower motor, see if it is running hot.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Dukey. The fuse blew once immediately after replacement but now I've had one running for a few days without issue.

It doesn't seem to correlate with the fan speed, I've been running it higher due to the heat wave we've been having. I did unintentionally have the passenger seat heater on for a bit last night with no issue. And the passenger make up mirror lights as well. I've also been using a 12v USB charger without issue as well. Whenever the fuse has blown it's seemed to be at random times besides the one time it blew instantly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts