Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my 2008 Outback (90,000 miles) at a local shop today; had new tires put on last week and the guys at that place said I needed new rear breaks, $400.

Well, got the estimate from the shop today, over $1300!! They want to replace all four calipers, in addition to the usual rotors and pads.

Anyone else ever had to replace all four calipers at the same time?? I think these guys are full of crap. Called another shop, and they quoted me $440 for front and rear rotors and pads.

Any input greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-DJ

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
LOL I've heard about this. Some shops are swapping out OEM calipers for high core values - and putting on cheap knock off calipers that lack any sort of rust prevention coatings and within a year or so your new elcheap O calipers are rusted up.

Brakes are crazy stupid easy takes me 30 minutes to do the rears with the car sitting in the driveway. Same goes for my trucks. Pads are like $60 if you need rotors its like $150 for totally new OEM rotors.

Say no thanks and find a new shop and tell them what you want. When you walk in and say I need brakes its like opening up your Wallet and saying here take as much as you feel like charging me for stuff I may actually not need.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT 5MT
183 Posts
They are trying to screw you over big time. It's not likely you need anything caliper-related at that mileage and even if you did you could rebuild them with a few kits from rockauto for ~$2.50 each.

From the sound of it I would recommend never going back to that shop, their tactics seem extremely suspect.

Where are you located?

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
It's possible the calipers are corroded and leaking, but not real likely. If the car were 15 years old, I would say install rebuilt ones, not new.

I suggest you have two other shops LOOK at your brakes and give you quotes. Phone quotes are no good since there may be an unusual problem.

Make sure the quote includes a full fluid flush.

I like OEM pads and hardware, but the NAPA Ultra Premium rotors are pretty darn impressive.

NAPA - Products - HIDE_ProductSecondLevel - HIDE_Product Detail

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
303 Posts
Les Schwab is notorious for this practice. When doing a brake job they only do it with replacing the calipers also(rebuilt) and cheap pads. I would not want this so I didnt go through them ,point is whats going to gaurantee that the rebuilt calipers are any good and will not fail in a certain period of time. I know they come with a warranty but the who has time for warranty work and how often. If the calipers are not leaking, sticking there good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts