Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my daughter a 2001 outback the with the h6 I drove it for about 2 weeks an really enjoyed it now Im thinking of selling my Landcruiser and getting me one can anyone tell me does the 6 cylinder have less issues than the 4? I hear a lot of head gasket issues is that the same on both motors. Thanks for any help and recomendations

·
Registered
438 Posts
The title of your post is misleading based on your concern with head gasket issues. The 4 versus 6 threads have been an extremely HOT TOPIC in posts, deep discussions and nearly endless comparisons that go as far as driving technique or style. If you are considering the current generation OB/Legacy the head gasket issue seems to have been resolved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry new to subaru did not know the 4 or 6 was such a problem. I really like the 6 cylinder I bought and was just wanting to know if there was any reason to consider a 4 over the 6

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
4 gets better MPG and runs on regular.

6 recommends (and runs best) on premium. That beings said, I'd rather have the H6 myself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Head gaskets are not a notorious problem on the 6.

They are on the 4. Once properly replaced with the proper parts, they aren't a worry anymore. Do it once, be done with it.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
The ONLY reason to get a 4 over a 6 is financial. You'll spend less for the car and less for gas (though on the 2nd gens, the difference in MPG isn't a whole lot).

The H6 is definitely the better engine. When I bought my Outback, I wouldn't consider one with an H4. That said, we do have three other Outbacks/Legacies all with H4 engines in them. They're not bad by any means, but two out of the three have had to have their head gaskets done (I'm sure the other will down the road, but they're okay now) and they don't have the power that the H6 does. H6s are difficult to find (at least around here), while H4s are a dime a dozen. Neither one is a bad choice.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
If your buying new I understand the HG has been addressed. I don't expect to replace mine. Both are good. Obviously power goes to the 6 and MPG cost to the 4. That is a general statement. Read the threads on the site but read carefully. I hunted around here before I bought and a number of comments seem to express more concern that you buy what the writer has then anything else. On the other hand, there are some really good discussions here on relevant issues. The 2013 4 was fine for me but I never really considered the 6. Only drove one once on my first test drive because there were no 4s available.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
I've owned 4 and 6 cylinder models for years.

The fuel mileage difference is only a couple MPG and actually depends on how you drive.

The differences in the engine is varying power and torque output, the 4 runs on a belt that needs to be replace at 60k mile intervals, the 6 has a chain that never needs replacing unless you experience an oiling issue (which if it happens, your rebuilding or replacing the engine due to internal damage, but highly unlikely as long as you keep up oil changes and watch levels which is something that should be done with any vehicle), transmissions are identical with differences in programming from 4 to 6 for torque, the only exception is the VDC model which is AWD all the time with a different traction program but then you get into available options.

With the exception of the VDC, all 4 and 6 models had the same options available with some extras available on the LLBean that weren't on the Limited and base. If your are buying used, you'll have the options on the car that it was ordered with. New gives you what you want and widens your options especially since Subaru now offers a wide range of available options with all trim packages regardless of the engine size.

You just have to decide on what you want out of the car. Either will go anywhere you want it to, will last you a very long time with proper maintenance and both are easy to repair if something should occur.

Take a couple of each out for a drive. And be sure to get off the blacktop if you want to really test the differences in off road operations. I think you are mainly going to only see a difference in the trim package available unless you are really into feeling the extra power of the H6.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
The ONLY reason to get a 4 over a 6 is financial.
Wrong! (See below.) I'd have seriously considered the H6
if either the 6MT or CVT had been available -- but there is
absolutely no way I'd buy an old-school 5-speed slush box.

transmissions are identical with differences in programming
from 4 to 6 for torque
The OP didn't specify what vintage(s) he might be considering,
but for 2010 & up the one thing that can be said with certainty
is that the H4 and H6 transmissions are entirely different:

H4: CVT automatic or 6-speed manual

H6: 5-speed automatic ...only!

·
Registered
'15 Limited White/Black ES,Nav,Moonroof,Powergate,HK audio '15 Premium Wilderness Green/Ivory Eyesight Powergate
25 Posts
I currently have an '05 2.5L 4speed auto,'13 2.5L cvt trans and a '07 LLbean 3.0L 6cylinder 5speed auto. They are all good and as far as transmissions go I wouldn't let 4spd,5spd etc sway you as they all get the job done nicely. I'm currently averaging 26mpg on the H6 and about a 1-2mpg more on the two 2.5L so there's not much mpg difference.
They are all fine engines but if I had to choose one I'd vote for the 3.0 6 cylinder as it's just super smooth and still retains good mpg for what it is.
Good luck and happy shopping.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Wrong! (See below.) I'd have seriously considered the H6
if either the 6MT or CVT had been available -- but there is
absolutely no way I'd buy an old-school 5-speed slush box.

The OP didn't specify what vintage(s) he might be considering,
but for 2010 & up the one thing that can be said with certainty
is that the H4 and H6 transmissions are entirely different:

H4: CVT automatic or 6-speed manual

H6: 5-speed automatic ...only!

Right...I sometimes forget that the MT was offered since I don't many Outbacks with them.

I'm assuming that the OP is referring to the 2000-2004 cars since that's where the thread is posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your advise, I have never been in a Subaru until I bought a 2001 h6 for my daughter and I could,nt believe how tight and sporty it was for a 10+ year car. So I put my Landcruiser on craigslist today and it looks like I'm going to try to find me a 2nd gen h6 for myself

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I sometimes forget that the MT was offered since
I don't many Outbacks with them.
According to this site's "What Gen4 did you buy?" thread,
6MT represents about 23% of total 2.5i Base & Premium
Gen4 sales, (i.e., the only models where it's available).

That's hardly an insignificant niche -- considering that H6
sales comprise slightly under 30% of total OB volume.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
According to this site's "What Gen4 did you buy?" thread,
6MT represents about 23% of total 2.5i Base & Premium
Gen4 sales, (i.e., the only models where it's available).

Only 9.45% of the total, though.

But, I don't doubt there are plenty of them out there--I'm sure it varies by area a little bit, though. Most of what I see around here (old and new) is automatic. I walked around the local dealer's lot not long ago (just before the '13s came out) and they only had one manual out of probably 20 Outbacks on the lot. I only really notice otherwise if I park next to another Outback (which is pretty frequently, actually), and I rarely see manuals.

I do see more H6s around here than elsewhere. When I'm away from the area, I almost never see one but here I even see a good amount of newer 3.6s. There are definitely more 2.5s, but then I can't identify which engine the newer ones have unless I'm behind them and can spot the badge. The 2nd gens are easy to spot H6s due to the grille badge, liftgate badge, and the fact that most of them are VDCs or L.L. Beans so they have the fender badges.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say the sticker price and the "EPA estimated MPG" are the two factors that make this true. I emphasized the EPA part because the logical fine print reads "your mileage will vary..." We all should know the EPA's estimates aren't exactly real-world results. In other words, the H6 probably does better than the EPA gives it credit for.

The other being that most dealers will have many more H4s on the lot to choose from. There aren't many buyers who order cars versus buying what's on the dealer's lot. My dealer rarely has more than a couple H6s on the lot at any given time, versus at least a dozen or more H4s, not including all the Foresters, Imprezas etc. that only come with an H4.

The same goes for manual transmissions. Most dealers will rarely have many on the lot. Let's face it, Americans are lazy when it comes to rowing gears, or they've never taken the time to learn. Dealers care about turnaround, and manuals don't exactly fly off the lot. The exception would be an STi, which has a target market that wouldn't have a slush box.

I'm not trying to spark debate, but just stating what I've observed and compiled based on logic. ;)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
All "H4 versus H6" threads are created equal.

Only 9.45% of the total, though.
News flash! 9.45% is noticeably larger than 4.20%

In the Base & Premium trim levels, the manual 2.5i OB
outsells Base & Premium 3.6R by more than two-to-one.

Notice that Soobie discontinued the 3.6R Premium trim
for 2013, but retained the runt-of-the-litter Base model.
Probably so they could say: "Starting under $30,000!!!"

...on the average, >99.99% of my Soobies are 6MT,

Looby

1 - 16 of 16 Posts