Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just saw a product advertised for $39.95 that checks the quality of your oil. The name of it is Lubricheck and it's made by Waveon Technologies, Inc. out of Osceola, WI.

The link below takes you to their Kickstarter page where they were trying to raise money to get production going. They have raised the money according to the posting. Whether or not they are actually producing yet I don't know, but there is a page on their website that will take your order. Their Kickstarter page:

Lubricheck, the digital 'blood tester' for your car by WaveOn Technologies — Kickstarter

There are links to the company:

WAVEON

I have not tried the product or even contacted the people, but it looks interesting. Maybe some of our techno members can tell us if capacitors can do this.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
"How does this thing work?

Using a proprietary combination of capacitance and resistance sensing, the Lubricheck primarily measures the acidity, or PH of your oil. As the oil degrades, acidity increases. As the oil becomes more acidic, the acid will begin to attack and ‘pit’ the metal surfaces inside your engine. Lubricheck also detects contaminants in the oil, such as metal particles and water or coolant. For a clear demonstration of how to use the Lubricheck, see http://lubricheck.com/The_Technology.html"

$40 eletro-gadget to measure PH.

Sure it can work. But I can test PH easier cheaper. The benefit of the product is it has pre-programmed established values to light up LED's (green, orange, red) according to their data/research.

Personally I'd never buy this, but the concept is intriguing.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Something like this would be good to add to the technology of maintenance indicators. I have heard that if you dont climb mountains every day with your car, maintain basic RPM ranges, etc you can go longer between oil changes. It used to be with regular oil you could base it on the color, but no longer. So long as oil companies dont shoot it down I see something like this being a green alternative to changing oil on intervals and ratehr waiting until the car actually needs it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
hiker74
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing