Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have decided to sell the OB. Now that I have made that decision and have a replacement vehicle lined up I figured I would cancel the extended warranty on the Subie to offset the new car cost.
Aside from the fact it was like pulling teeth to get any info on the process and status (on Monday it would have been 7 weeks, btw). The refund was prorated in a way that surprised and disappointed me:

2011 OB
20,000 miles
3/36 warranty still in effect

I got a check for 40% of what I paid for the warranty :confused: WTF, over? The only other time I did this when the factory warranty was still valid I got 100% refund minus $70 processing fee. Although that was Chrysler. And still is that way (we are getting a Grand Cherokee so I asked)
Anyway, is this the norm with Subaru? What are others seeing back from a cancelled warranty? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Very different than my experience. I paid $1307 for my 7/70/100K $0 ded warranty in 2011. I owned the car for 19 months and got back just shy of a grand. 7 years = 84 months. @ 1/84th per month($15.50)x 19 months that's $295 worth of warranty used. $1307-$295= $1012. That's within $20 bucks of what I got back. Kinda cheesy I had to pay for the months during the factory warranty but I didn't feel completely hard done to.;) It would be worth it to me to go back and ask for an accounting on 40%.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I completely disagree that they are counting you as "using" the extended warranty while the factory one is in effect. I'm sure it was in the 6 pages of fine print. Chryslers was easy: Here is what isn't covered and if you cancel before the 3/36 ends you get your money back.
I have put in an email to Subaru and will be calling the dealer as well.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
It's cutting into the F/M profits & commission that's were the money is. If you bought it from the dealer, they don't want to give it back after it's spent.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I cancelled my genuine Subaru Gold warranty on my 10 Forester, (while the 3 year/36,000 warranty was still in force) contacted SOA, mailed them a letter, requesting cancellation. That letter was forwarded to the dealer, who originally issued the warranty (not the selling dealer) and got my money back - no questions asked - similar amount to that of OBnube... would have to dig it out to find out the exact amount of the refund. But it was quite reasonable... I bought that warranty at Mastria Subaru up in Raynham, MA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts