Do you want one?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next big thing in automobiles is the 48 volt systems that will be used in the future for things like steering, braking, e-Turbo/Supercharge, engine valve actuators etc. I love my Outback but I find the 3.6R 6cyl is under powered for my likes. I plan to use a Rechargeable 48v 14Ah 1000w Lithium ion battery pack as the power source for an electric Turbo or e-turbo. This would run exclusively on the battery and completely separate from the 12 volt electrical system from the factory. The battery would need to be recharged every day or two while parked. I am fairly confident that I can create at least 5 psi boost to target the 1000-3500 RPM range starting with at least 20% throttle position. I don't like racing my engine. The turbo would activate in stop and go traffic and passing but not at cruising speed unless the throttle is over 20% (adjustable). I think there is enough room to remove the original air handler and replace that with the e-Turbo and an aftermarket intake (perhaps K&N)

The focus on this project is drive ability, power, fuel economy, and just the coolness of it all. Project goals
10% mpg increase
20% more horsepower
30% more Torque
30% more smiles
To fully qualify this as a success it must be repeatable, affordable, removable and not damage the host vehicle.

The budget for this project is a nice round affordable $1000
Battery $125
e-Turbo $500
Air handler/filter $300
??

Sample Battery
48v 14Ah 1000w Lithium ion Battery Pack.

Sample Turbo
Universal Electric Turbo Supercharger Turbocharge

C'mon y'all! Let's make this happen. Like, tag, follow etc.
Welcoming positive constructive replies.
Yes, I know others have failed at this.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,021 Posts
@Brucey did something electrically interesting to his 2000 2.5 back in the day....and he has a 3.6 now.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,828 Posts
I am fairly confident that I can create at least 5 psi boost ... starting with at least 20% throttle position.
1. Ask yourself why you want any boost at all at 20% throttle ... or anything less than ~100% throttle, for that matter.

2. If you manage to get that 5 psi boost at low rpm, ask yourself which is going to fail first ... the engine or the CVT.

Either you're not explaining yourself very well, or you need to do a LOT more research, learning, and engineering analysis before you start spending money on hardware.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
30% more Torque
30% more smiles
To fully qualify this as a success it must be repeatable, affordable, removable and not damage the host vehicle.
Aside from skepticism that you can generate enough boost to increase peak torque by 30%, if you were to achieve that goal, the CVT may experience catastrophic slippage unless the CVT were re-programmed to clamp harder on the chain, which would create its own problems. That's why CVT WRX owners have so many problems if they try to increase performance.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drive around most of the time under 3500 rpm now. Boosting torque would likely deliver the power I want at lower engine speed. I rarely hit 70% throttle and have only floored it a couple times. I am not looking to run at Pikes Peak. I am looking for a more responsive daily driver. You guys are talking race car stuff. I thought I was pretty clear about that. To be honest, one small 5psi turbo would not likely be enough to pressure a heavy breathing 3.6 boxer at 6000 rpm wot. I am not looking to go there at all.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,828 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the build thread:

Thanks Brucy. I had to join the group to read it. Interesting project. Thanks for linking me. I am trying something much simpler than what you did. I don't have to do anything with belts or even cut and drill much if anything at all. What I want to do could go in with zip ties and maybe a couple screws for mounting, but minimal modifications to be sure. Ecomodder had some other e-turbo stuff that I am also reading. Thanks for putting me onto them.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,565 Posts
Force compressed air into the intake at 5 psi over.

Leave engine and ECU to sort out what to do with it.

What could possibly go wrong here?

The $1000 you waste on this will be the least of your problems.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,277 Posts
Watched a video a couple of days ago where someone bolted on an eTurbo kit and dyno’d the vehicle before and after.

The results were quite surprising and from memory raised the HP from 85 to 135 on a very ordinary family vehicle.

I think this technology is a feasible way of boosting power with little cost and good results.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
962 Posts
If you want it dependable you will spend your $1000 or more on a custom tune IMHO. As others have mentioned, CVT pressures are likely too low at low RPM's for the torque and I suspect there is a good possibility you would be running lean since the ECU will not know what is going on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must be missing the point of you wanting more power. If you have only gone full throttle a couple of times, why not just floor it more often?

Also, there is much more to a turbocharger system than just the turbo. You will spend far more than $1000 to get this to work correctly.

You will not see an increase in MPG. Whenever you're 'in boost' you'll be using more fuel, and that's if you can get the fueling sorted out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I disagree with almost all of this. A turbo charged engine needs to be designed from the ground up. Simply attaching a turbo to what was designed to be a normally aspirated engine is asking for trouble. At the minimum, you will have a significant reduction in reliability and longevity of the engine.

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
135 Posts
The next big thing in automobiles is the 48 volt systems that will be used in the future for things like steering, braking, e-Turbo/Supercharge, engine valve actuators etc. I love my Outback but I find the 3.6R 6cyl is under powered for my likes. I plan to use a Rechargeable 48v 14Ah 1000w Lithium ion battery pack as the power source for an electric Turbo or e-turbo. This would run exclusively on the battery and completely separate from the 12 volt electrical system from the factory. The battery would need to be recharged every day or two while parked. I am fairly confident that I can create at least 5 psi boost to target the 1000-3500 RPM range starting with at least 20% throttle position. I don't like racing my engine. The turbo would activate in stop and go traffic and passing but not at cruising speed unless the throttle is over 20% (adjustable). I think there is enough room to remove the original air handler and replace that with the e-Turbo and an aftermarket intake (perhaps K&N)

The focus on this project is drive ability, power, fuel economy, and just the coolness of it all. Project goals
10% mpg increase
20% more horsepower
30% more Torque
30% more smiles

The budget for this project is a nice round affordable $1000
Battery $125
e-Turbo $500
Air handler/filter $300
??

Sample Battery
48v 14Ah 1000w Lithium ion Battery Pack.

Sample Turbo
Universal Electric Turbo Supercharger Turbocharge

C'mon y'all! Let's make this happen. Like, tag, follow etc.
Welcoming positive constructive replies.
Yes, I know others have failed at this.
You plan to install a cheap Chinese component listed as not compatible with your $40K vehicle that will negate the vehicle warranty? Why not just send me the $1000 instead; at least you will still have a car that runs.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
453 Posts
Sounds more like you're trying to reinvent the adiabatic engine, using a 3.6 boxer engine and an e-turbo. - Low pressure turbo to 'homogenize' the mix, but they typically employed other tricks to keep in as much heat (energy) as possible, to make the engine more efficient. (I was a Smokey Yunick fan, what can I say). Typically a turbo, as we know it today, increases mpg, by allowing a smaller displacement engine, that simply works harder. Taking a 3.6 and just adding pressure, isn't going to increase mileage, you'll have more power, but not fuel economy, without other measures.

Problem here is a boxer by it's design, has more surface area to release heat than most other engine formats. On the H6, you have much more surface area for cooling than a typical v6, which is why many of the early boxer motors were air cooled with fins, the design allowed for it. (Think VW Bug, early Porsche, and <cough>Corvair<cough>....last part put some vomit in my mouth). I remember reading somewhere the H6 internals were good for hp in the mid-300s, anything more and you're going to want forged parts, or a built motor. - I'm not however sure the CVT, even the HT model, could handle that much power and torque over the long haul. (The 5EAT can probably be beefed up to handle it, but doubtful the CVT could, not in stock form anyway).

Roadkill did an episode bolting on something like 5 leaf blowers to a Chevy Monza, and gained like 20 hp for all their effort. You can probably see their project on YouTube, so yep, $1500-$1600 for 20 hp. - Obviously, the car was useless as a daily driver, and probably dangerous, but they did it.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,828 Posts
Question: Please explain what you think will happen when the throttle is 20% open and 5 psi of boost is applied?

Answer: Exactly the same as opening the throttle to ~27% with no "boost." ... i.e The manifold pressure downstream of the throttle plate will be roughly the same in both cases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to have a Police Interceptor 4.6l Romeo. The electric blowers were pretty popular. They were pretty much useless, but they gave a slight torque benefit at low rpm. Some guys would add all the silly trivial mods and buy a ECU programmer and adjust the engine settings to optimize them. The electric blowers required a alternator and battery upgrade along with tune and I believe the most someone recorded on the dump with a 12v model was 2-3hp. You are better off buying a K&N cold air intake and pull the intake box and customize it, or mod the existing box to flow more cool air and swap a K&N intake. I run one on my 3.6R and it has enough power for a wagon. Your second best option is a good tune. You can usually get a good preprogrammed tuner for $400. Look for a model that allows expansion and has a community that supports common mods. This way you are under budget and get some good gains without destroying your engine and transmission.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts