Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buy my Purolator oil filters for a reasonable price at Meijer's [grocery chain] in Detroit. I noticed late last year they stopped stocking the oil filter for the 2001 2.5 4cyl engine, filter #L14460

Their catalogue only lists filter L14459 for the 2001 6cyl Outback models, no 4cyl engines are listed. I'm curious why they would discontinue the filter.
I'm very disappointed since they're priced right and the quality is good.

Do you think I can use the L14459 on my 2001 4cyl?

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
The Purolator web-site still shows the 14460 as the model for the 2001 2.5 engine. The 14459 is, as you noted, for a 6 cyl engine. (Here's the link to the page: Application Guide Results)

According to the link page, the 14460 has the relief valve at 20-25 psi, which is close to the Subaru filter's 23 psi, but it doesn't have an anti-drainback valve. The 14459 has the ADB valve but the bypass relief is far lower.

Wix recently came out with a filter that seems to be specifically for Subarus such as yours, with both the ADB valve and a bypass at 23 psi. Perhaps Purolator is going to introduce one as well.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
are you sure it's actually discontinued and not a symptom of the particular store or something else? are they available elsewhere?

·
Registered
2001 Outback
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
L14460

are you sure it's actually discontinued and not a symptom of the particular store or something else? are they available elsewhere?
I'm not 100% the L14460 its discontinued, but its no longer listed in their oil filter catalogue and not found in store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts