Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So planning on resealing the transmission on my 2002 L.L. Bean, along with replacing the old leaking coolant hoses, dipstick and harness o-rings and banjo bolts/crush washers. Looking there’s a place where another filter can go on the transmission housing besides the one in the fender well.

It currently has a round blank off plate kind of thing with a banjo bolt holding it into place. Just wondering if that’s correct or should there be another filter there.

Car, like I said is a 2002 Outback L.L. Bean made in late 2001. Trying to stop some small leaks and also hopefully solve a weird shudder I get when I’m driving around 45 in town. I’ll barely be pressing the gas and go to coast, letting off the gas petal it’s almost like the engine brakes.

Replacing the transmission mount too in hopes that’s the problem there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,080 Posts
When Subaru introduced the 3.0 , there was less room for the external filter due to the exhaust. So it was relocated remotely.

If you change it (recommended if you are opening the trans - it is really there just to catch posible debris from manufacturing and many folks never change them) , get the replacement from the dealer - it is built differently than an engine oil filter inside. I think Amsoil makes a proper replacement for it. Just don't put an oil filter there.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already have the OEM just threw me for a loop with the parts diagram showing a filter on certain models.

Will have to open it to access the AT temp sensor cable’s o-ring. Little worried about that one. Looks like a plastic cap of some sort, that the o-ring fits on. Hope it’s not brittle and crumbles on removal. Hate to buy a $250+ harness and my car being down till I get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts