Subaru Outback Forums banner

4EAT maladies?? Trans slips, park doesn't work...

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  nomisharris 
#1 ·
Hi all,
The 4EAT in my 00 OBW has just started to slip terribly. The symptoms are: rev climb and then a jolt leaving from a stop, gear appearing to disengage randomly where the revs and speedometer (?) both shoot to the top as I lose speed, and 3 seconds of terrible grinding followed by neutral when I shift into park. I didn't notice any ramp up or progression, it went from working fine to barely driveable immediately.

It may possibly be better when I put the shifter in 3 instead of Drive, but could likely be in my head. The trans fluid was changed 30k miles ago, and seemed to be full or slightly over, still pink and not burnt. No lights came on in the cluster.

I replaced the front drivers side wheel bearing yesterday, and drove approx 15 miles before the transmission went weird. Also, I set the alarm off about 7 miles before the issues started. On and off for a few years I have had a shudder on a specific hill I climb where the vehicle speed and RPM are just so, which I wrote off to a quirky torque converter. I don't see how these could be related but I share them with the intention of being transparent.

Maybe this is common and the only fix is full trans rebuild, or maybe this is some small issue impeding the flow of fluid or something. I would be happy to get any advice. I've never had any transmission issues before, this is all uncharted waters to me and I would appreciate any tips to get me back in action.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I replaced the front drivers side wheel bearing yesterday, and drove approx 15 miles before the transmission went weird.
The symptoms could be the drive axle not securely locked into the front differential. It only requires the axle to move out a very small amount to lose engagement with the differential side gear. When that happens, it causes the differential to spin freely (thus the engine revving) and also causes Park not to work, i.e., Park doesn't prevent the car from rolling.

#3 ·
Hi plain OM, you mean the CV axle by that right? Didn't know that could be dislocated, with the roll pin and all holding it in. Something so far down the driveline would explain the speed sensor being fooled, but I figured the all wheel drive system would be diverting enough power to the rear to get it moving.

I'll get it up on ramps in a minute and make sure they're where they're supposed to be. Thanks for the tip :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.