Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and found some references to some causes, one of which is brakes. Does this video sound familiar to anyone? It happens only in reverse when backing up a hill. 2005 OBW 4EAT transmission. Not too familiar w/ posting videos, here is a link to a youtube video. TIA.
subaru reverse whine - YouTube

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm surprised that nobody has any thoughts on what this noise could be caused by?
Most posts of mine in the past are answered numerous times very quickly. Did I ask the question wrong or is my post in the wrong forum?
thanks

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
Missed your earlier post, but now having listened to the video, I certainly can't relate to that noise. As far as I can tell, it's not the type of reverse whine I've heard from a number of different makes of cars with automatic transmissions. The difference is that most that I can recall are recognizably gear meshing noises, whereas this one seems to be almost more of a mild metal-on-metal screech.

I also noticed that it appeared when going straight as well as when turning.

Nothing like that with my 07.

Ah, yet another sound to try to diagnose from a distance . . .

Seeing as it appears at a fairly slow speed, could some else back the car (perhaps in a long, empty parking lot) while you walk beside to try to narrow down where the noise is coming from -- front or rear, side or center?

Also, what happens if you lightly apply the brakes while backing just enough to change the pad/rotor contact conditions -- does the sound change? How are the brake pads?

Any noises when going forward at any (legal) speed? Any sign of a low growling or buzzing noise (wheel bearings)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. It was only noticed by the wife on hills in reverse but I'll try to get to a flat parking lot and listen like you suggest.
thanks again.

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
Had another look at the video. Is it correct that the car is being backed out of a driveway that has a slope; in other words you're backing up the hill at the same time? If so, then what happens if the car is turned around at the top, and reversed down the slope, one time under power (in Reverse gear) and then again just coasting back in Neutral?

I'm wondering if the sound could be something like a loose heat shield that is very near to the propeller shaft. It might not make too much noise going forward, but when backing up, with additional torque on the shaft, the shaft could displace ever so little, just enough to contact the shield - that could result in the more tinny type of sound it seems to be. (Just an idea that might be considered . . . .)

Along the same lines, it could be a brake rotor dust shield that's rubbing on the rotor . . .

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
Thanks for the update.

How did you isolate it?

Interesting that the pads/rotors exhibited a directional effect. I wonder if that had something to do with the wear warning tabs, or perhaps the way the pads had worn down. Also, it's often the simpler things . . . but we just have to think of them!

Enjoy . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.