Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
all,

Per feedback from Tokico, Bilstein & KW, they will assess tooling up to create 4th gen OB applications if they recieve enough interest.

i let all 3 suppliers know that KYB is the only shock supplier for the OB's and their new involvement would be greatly appreciated. i also mentioned to them that the KYB option is only offering a 10% increase in damping. KW agree'd the roads in Los Angeles are horrible and fast and the majority of OE shocks aren't tested in Los Angeles.

so, please help this community & yourself, by communicating w/ these suppliers that we would like their support.

thanks

duckboy

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts
I would live some Bilsteins or my OB! I'll send an email.
I agree! Shock and stuts would be great!

Not to mention the 4th gen outback is the best selling OB ever. They should definitely be able to eventually sell some. The reason the demand isnt up there yet is only because people havent hit 60-100K on there OB yet to need replacements. I know that when I replace mine they will NOT be OEM.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if we start this campaign now, chances are, 1 of these mfg's will be offering replacement shocks by the time we really need them.

TOKICO:
BelShore Inc.
Tokico Performance Shocks
2388 Peck Road
Industry, CA 90601

Phone: 626.310.0517
Toll Free: 800.548.2549
Fax : 626.310.0517
Email : [email protected]

BILSTEIN US:
Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873
(go through the process of selecting a shock and an email will be sent to them automatically)

KW Automotive North America Inc.:
1075 North Avenue
Sanger, CA 93657
USA
Phone: 1-800-445-3767 (toll free)
Fax: 1-559-876-2259
eMail: [email protected]

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
IIRC KW has a coilover setup for the Leg, and true enough... KW Variant 3
Somebody check if the rear dampers are adaptable/compatible with the OB.

Rebound Adjustment
Being vehicle-specifically possible, the rebound damping is adjusted by a spindle at the end of the piston rod. Mainly, the traction phase (rebound) controls car body vibrations and also influences handling and comfort in the low-speed damping range.
By using the traction phase adjustment, the vehicle can be adapted to the requirements of the driver. Moreover the driving behavior can be regulated from comfortably rolling to sporty and tense with improved road holding characteristics.
Compression Adjustment
The compression phase adjustment is carried out at the lower end of the shock absorber via KWs patented multi-purpose valve. The large number of pre-set parameters of this valve allows for a wide range of adjustment for individual use. The unique low-speed compression adjustment significantly distinguishes this technology from any other.
In the compression range, the driving behavior of the vehicle is drastically influenced. An increase of the damping power supports the vehicle already during compression and therefore avoids rolling and pitching, significantly improving the directional stability.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

When I called KW they said they do not have an application for the 4th Gen OB and don't have plans to tool up for our application unless the demand presents itself. I've even volunteered my car as a loaner since I'm in socal like their satellite office. I also asked them to consider a one off for me but said they won't do that.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

When I called KW they said they do not have an application for the 4th Gen OB and don't have plans to tool up for our application if the demand presents itself. I've even volunteered my car as a loaner since I'm in socal like their satellite office. I even asked them to consider a one off for me but said they won't do that.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know how we can get this thread to be a stickie so we can get the support of the entire community?

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moderator, can we make this a Stickie? so we can all support this campaign?

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts
moderator, can we make this a stickie? So we can all support this campaign?
I dont think you will get much support for.....another year...thats when people will start wanting to replace there shocks and struts. By then....it will be to late...You will have to wait for them to mock something up...fit it and then produce it.... LOL!
So...yea...

But i did email the 2 that could be and asked them to make some!

But it cant hurt to sticky it.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited - Twilight Blue
167 Posts
I have clicked on the Bilstein US link for the 2013 Outback 2.5i at least 50 times. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
2010 OB Prem
43 Posts
duckboy, where did you find the information on the KYBs being 10% heavier damped? They really aren't that expensive to get a set and try them out, so I'm interested. The part number, in case anyone else wants it, is 340027 for the rears and 339224 for the fronts with SB103 strut boots. The front of the car feels ok to me for what it is, but I really feel the rear end could be controled a bit better.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

biking,

i called KYB tech support and asked their "tech" person. i even suggested heavier %'s of damping increase and he said "no, it's in the range of 10%.

but being that Subaru '13 shocks are heavier damped than Subaru '10-'12 shocks, it wouldn't make sense to purchase KYB '10-'12 shocks. it MAY just be near the same damping level as Subaru '13 shocks. as of monday, there were no KYB applications for '13. i'm going to wait for KYB/aftermarket "13 shocks to become available.

duckboy

duckboy, where did you find the information on the KYBs being 10% heavier damped? They really aren't that expensive to get a set and try them out, so I'm interested. The part number, in case anyone else wants it, is 340027 for the rears and 339224 for the fronts with SB103 strut boots. The front of the car feels ok to me for what it is, but I really feel the rear end could be controled a bit better.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Are KYB's monotubes? Monotubes themselves are generally firmer than twin-tube shocks. So, Monotubes + 10% may be quite significant.

(Personally, i have never had much luck with aftermarket shocks.)

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

bikingOB,

i think you may have a small typo on the '10-'12 part #.
Front-Right: 339224
Front-Left: 339225
Rear-Right: 240027
Rear-Left: 240027 (yes, both rears are the same)
Front Strut Boots: SB103

there is no application currently listed for '13 :(.

duckboy

·
Registered
2010 OB Prem
43 Posts
Doh! Your right, there are different part numbers for the left and right fronts. I just glanced at those. However, the rears definitely are 340027 according to the KYB online catalog. I'll probably give it till the new year to see if anyone steps up then I may order some of these to try them out.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kyb said they should have'13 applicability by near end of this yr. So we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
35 Posts
ill be interested on these but Im not sure how much of an performance increase I would get.. Ill give kyb a call tomorrow..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.