Subaru Outback Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2083 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my 2014 limited 2.5 last Monday. Put 900 miles on it this week combined averaged 27.3 by car computer, actual was 28.9 doing the math after each fill-up. Sad part is I think that is low. I used to have a 2015 premium that was always in the mid 30's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my 2.5 CVT (2014) new in California and live there a few years with it.
CA mpg: City 18-19 mpg / Hwy 25-27 mpg / Average 21.5 to 23 mpg
CA oxygenates their fuel. A full tank of gas in CA is 25% air. Air doesn't propel a car forward (read the research on CA gas).

I moved to Washington State 2 years ago (no oxygenated fuel).
WA mpg: City 24-25 mpg / Hwy 30-32 mpg / Average 27 to 28.5 mpg

Interesting side note about dedicated snow tires and MPG:
In WA I run dedicated snow tires (Firestone Winterforce) from November to April.
With the dedicated snow tires,
WA mileage drops to City 23 mpg / Hwy 26 mpg / Average 24.5 mpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
My gas mileage is usually around 24mpg. Which from reading all of these posts makes me think it is low. This is 90% highway miles as I live off the highway and work off the highway. I drive about 100 miles every day for work and am driving a 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited. Thoughts?
On a side note I have not hit above 25mpg at any point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Leadfoot here gets 23.7, mostly highway miles on a 85 mile (RT) commute.

I tried to go the speed limits on US 101 but that does not make me a good road neighbor. Got 25 doing the limit, using cruise control and trying to hyper-mile. Hated it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
116k on the clock. Recently had a head gasket job done. Just drove from Seattle to Missoula and back and got 31mpg average. In town it's anywhere from 20-26mpg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
123K on ours. My wife tooling around town gets 28 mpg. Loaded with down Griswold family vacation style with the Yakima storage we get 26. The best I ever saw was 31, but that was when the car was new, under 10k, and only two people driving it in on a road trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a (new to me) 2011 3.6r with 98k on it, just got back from a ~5,700 mile road trip and according to the trip computer I averaged 28.5 over the whole thing. Did another ~350 miles last weekend and averaged 29. Those are mostly highway miles, and I go easy on the gas pedal. Around town I usually get 21-22, but I don't do much city driving if I can help it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 2.5-has about 75k, drove it from central TX to Utah last week. First day thru TX and eastern NM,doing around 75, got about 30-31 mpg. Second day on slower roads in northern AZ doing about 60-65, the car was almost 34 mpg. In the city I get about 23 or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought the '13 2.5i Premium a little over a year ago at 62k miles. It now has about 76k. Over several months, my long-term average is 24 MPG but I do a lot of short trips (my commute is short). Over longer highway hauls, MPG can get close to 30. These numbers are all calculated by hand; I don't trust the onboard computer and rarely look at it.

I wonder why my numbers seem lower than most folks' here. I change my oil on schedule and I'm not a lead foot. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought a 2013 3.6 Limited with 77,000. Just finished putting my first 3,000 miles on and have averaged 25.2 mpg hand calculated over this mileage. Just changed oil this weekend and have done as well as 26.2 on a single tank (again, hand calculated) with about 90% highway mileage using the cruise at 69 mph.

I'm extremely pleased with this mileage and at least in my experience it does hold true that subaru's gas mileage increased with a little age. Our previous crosstrek was the same in this regard. Once we got to 60k the mpg per tank crept up about 2 mpg until it leveled out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After 4,000 miles on my new (to me) 3.6, I'm averaging 25.8. That will probably improve as I get over my newly acquired leadfoot from the additional horsepower. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drive a 2011 Outback 2.5 CVT Limited with 125k miles. I am not a gentle driver so my fuel economy suffers for it. My numbers are 26 mpg on highway and 21 mpg on city driving. I calculate my mpg at every tank fill manually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I drive a 2011 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium with 147k. I average roughly 25 mpg over 50\50 commute....granted I have a Tyger Cargo Basket and all terrains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought the '13 2.5i Premium a little over a year ago at 62k miles. It now has about 76k. Over several months, my long-term average is 24 MPG but I do a lot of short trips (my commute is short). Over longer highway hauls, MPG can get close to 30. These numbers are all calculated by hand; I don't trust the onboard computer and rarely look at it.

I wonder why my numbers seem lower than most folks' here. I change my oil on schedule and I'm not a lead foot. Any ideas?
In this same boat. '14 2.5i Limited with 65,000 miles. I got about 30 over a 700 mile almost all highway trip. Get about 25 mixed.

2041 - 2060 of 2083 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
856 Participants
cyberdog433
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing