Subaru Outback Forums banner

2061 - 2080 of 2083 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2012 3.6 is only getting on average 20 mpg a tank and I drive 90% highway... been trying to figure out what's wrong, I drive grandma style too. might try to fuel injector cleaner

·
Registered
59 Posts
2013 2.5i Premium with 107,500 miles. As soon as my car hit 100k, my gas mileage went to ****. In the city: 17-19; on open highway with 55-65 mph, I get 19-22. I used to get 25 in the city and 30-32 hwy. The dealership told me its because my driving habits changed (which is a weird thing to happen all of a sudden and weird thing for them to assume) and that there's nothing they can do.

Does anyone have a recommendation about diagnostics or fixes?

·
Registered
389 Posts
2013 2.5i Premium with 107,500 miles. As soon as my car hit 100k, my gas mileage went to ****. In the city: 17-19; on open highway with 55-65 mph, I get 19-22. I used to get 25 in the city and 30-32 hwy. The dealership told me its because my driving habits changed (which is a weird thing to happen all of a sudden and weird thing for them to assume) and that there's nothing they can do.

Does anyone have a recommendation about diagnostics or fixes?
over time my MPG on OB 2013 also has dropped, isn't as drastic as yours

I assume it isn't what you see in your car display, but real / counted MPG between gas fl

I may say about probable cause in this order:
1. winter type gasoline
2. bad gasoline, unless you have used the same trusted gas station, however I see that over past 10 years gasoline got diluted by 'corn' more and more that as result delivers less MPG
3. bad gasoline that effected internals or even clogged something; try to use some cleaner like Techron concentrate or BG44 - make sure you know how to use those
4. O2 or / and MAF sensor

·
Registered
59 Posts
over time my MPG on OB 2013 also has dropped, isn't as drastic as yours

I assume it isn't what you see in your car display, but real / counted MPG between gas fl

I may say about probable cause in this order:
1. winter type gasoline
2. bad gasoline, unless you have used the same trusted gas station, however I see that over past 10 years gasoline got diluted by 'corn' more and more that as result delivers less MPG
3. bad gasoline that effected internals or even clogged something; try to use some cleaner like Techron concentrate or BG44 - make sure you know how to use those
4. O2 or / and MAF sensor
1) and 2) I haven't had this much change in fuel economy the past 4 or 5 winters that I've lived in the same place, used the same gas stations, etc. This would surprise me.
3) I am keen to give the Techron (or similar) a try to see if that helps. Is there anything I need to know besides the instructions on the can?
4) I asked the dealership about these sensors. They said there isn't enough evidence to have them look into testing/diagnosing problems with them. I need to take my vehicle somewhere else... I hate Reno Lithia Sub.

Thanks for the advice, Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replaced the clutch on my 2014 Outback (120k miles) and my mileage has increased from a low average of 21mpg to about 26mpg. Not saying this is what everyone's issue might be, but a slipping clutch will hurt mileage, even if you don't always "feel" the slip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have the same issue, I have a 2013 outback 2.5i w/ 118k miles and according to my vehicle display I am barely getting 24mpg on the highway, city is about the same. Even going on a slight grade downhill at 70 mph in no wind I can't even get 30mpg instant. Plugs haven't been changed yet, but perhaps I will also try a cleaner, I have heard good things about seafoam. I am not sure what else could be causing the poor fuel economy other than a hitch but that shouldn't have such a large affect on its own. Any other ideas that helped those out who were also getting poor fuel consumption rates?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 2.5i Premium with the 6spd m/t. Before my roof racks I was averaging around 30mpg I drive a lot at at 55-65mph as my daily commute consists of 62 mile round trip 40 of which is at or above 45mph posted speed limit. Since I added two sets of the poly Malone autoloaders I have gotten 27.0 on the button for an average. that's probably going to take another hit very soon as I am hoping to be putting a set of 16x7 wheels and AT tires on before this fall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just picked up my 2012 3.6R on Friday and through some mountain passes between Idaho and Montana I got 27mpg doing an average speed of 80mph on a 370mi trip. That's just from the dash meter but I'll confirm actual mileage once I fill up today.

Update: Filled up yesterday and got 26.2mpg, so my dash reading is a little ambitious!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last tank I filled up I had driven 429 miles and calculated MPG right at 33.2mpg. The car says 35.3mpg, but the car readouts are always overhyped. This mpg is on a 2011 OB CVT with 134k miles. Driving 70% Hwy, 30% City. By the way, the highway part has plenty of hills. It all comes down to acceleration folks; do it gently and Mr. mpg will smile right back at ya.

Good luck and God bless America!

·
Registered
39 Posts
2014 Outback 2.5 Premium. Summer driving A/C on, half city/half highway--11.5L/100km's. Did a trip out east, all highway averaged in low 8's. Winter driving, with 5-10 minutes warm up 16-17L.. Not bad, not great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Man that translates to about 21 miles per gallon! Yikes! In my humble opinion, that's poor fuel efficiency. In the city, I can get 29 mpg driving when I drive like a grandpa!

Grandpa, your the best!

·
Registered
389 Posts
2014 Outback 2.5 Premium. Summer driving A/C on, half city/half highway--11.5L/100km's. Did a trip out east, all highway averaged in low 8's. Winter driving, with 5-10 minutes warm up 16-17L.. Not bad, not great.
I'd recommend to:
1. try diff gasoline
2. check brakes, to make sure no frozen pads
3. use techron concentrate

what tires on the car?
winter tires eat 3-5 MPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man that translates to about 21 miles per gallon! Yikes! In my humble opinion, that's poor fuel efficiency. In the city, I can get 29 mpg driving when I drive like a grandpa!

Grandpa, your the best!
Yeah it's bad. But, lot of it my fault. I have a bad back and cold just kills it. We had very cold winter, warming up car 10 minutes every morning and night sure kills FE. winter tires doesn't help either. Currently, with A/c mostly on, i'm getting 10-11.5L mostly city driving. On my Hyundai Accent similar conditions i'm getting close to 9, so not bad on the subbie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up a 2014 2.5L NA, CVT with 52k miles on it for my wife last week.

I filled up the tank a few days ago and we've only put about 60 miles on the trip odometer so far. The fuel economy readout is indicating between 19.2 and 19.8 mpg with all city driving.

I'll do a better calculation at next fill up. I plan to run some injector cleaner through the fuel system and possibly replace the fuel filter, as well as cleaning the throttle body and MAP sensor device if the mileage doesn't increase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up a 2014 2.5L NA, CVT with 52k miles on it for my wife last week.
I'll do a better calculation at next fill up. I plan to run some injector cleaner through the fuel system and possibly replace the fuel filter, as well as cleaning the throttle body and MAP sensor device if the mileage doesn't increase.
Only 52k miles! I don't see any reason to clean the throttle body, but maybe the MAP sensor. Note that some MAP sensors cannot be cleaned, but I think Subas can, though. Don't even bother with the fuel filter cause it's probably inside the fuel tank and most people never touch that even if car has over 175k miles. Make sure tires have correct pressure and you can get away with going 2 psi over the tire pressure stated inside the driver side door to get a bit less rolling resistance with the road. Any more pressure and it becomes a possible safety problem because then the tire may not be making enough contact with the road.

IMHO, the most likely contributor for such low mileage is lead foot and or lots if idling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2.5 CVT Limited.
Used to get 28-30 on the freeway long drive and about 20-21 in San Francisco with a short drive on freeway.
But after one time Check Engine light was cleared by a local shop, it has dropped to 25-26 mpg on the freeway long distance and only 18mpg in the City. Notice the car does not have enough power to push forward after 50 mph uphill, feeling like pedal hitting the compressed room. And taking off from idle stage or speed up, i need to step more on the gas. Overall, per tank, it loses about 60 miles on same driving behaviors.
RPM goes up but car wont go faster. Also during the idle, mpg gauge used to sit at mid way between bottom and middle. Now it sits at the very bottom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only 52k miles! I don't see any reason to clean the throttle body, but maybe the MAP sensor. Note that some MAP sensors cannot be cleaned, but I think Subas can, though. Don't even bother with the fuel filter cause it's probably inside the fuel tank and most people never touch that even if car has over 175k miles. Make sure tires have correct pressure and you can get away with going 2 psi over the tire pressure stated inside the driver side door to get a bit less rolling resistance with the road. Any more pressure and it becomes a possible safety problem because then the tire may not be making enough contact with the road.

IMHO, the most likely contributor for such low mileage is lead foot and or lots if idling.
No lead footing ... we're trying to keep the mpg factor at optimum. The mpg display has been indicating between 20 & 22 mpg lately, and I'm OK with those #s (all city driving). We'll see what the actual is at next fill-up (fuel gauge is reading at half tank now).

I noticed the low tire pressure indicator light up so I checked and filled the tires to the spec on the door tag (32F/30R). It came on again a few days later so had to check pressures again. Found a nail in the left rear and took it to the tire store. They patched it and filled the tires to 36psi all around.

The car feels a bit more nimble, but now I'm hearing more bumping noises coming from the front suspension. Are Outbacks typically noisy? (road noise) ... it seems to be noisier than my Tundra (running over pressure tires).

·
Registered
262 Posts
20190811_062751.jpg

Wish I got this kind of mileage all the time! I think this is the highest I have ever seen it go, I just got gas and was feathering the pedal through small towns on my way to work doing a lot of cruising.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No photo but for the first 7.4 miles from my usual fuel fill up to parking at my house I average 44.? to 45.? each time. It depends on if I have to stop at either of the two stoplights between. Most of the way I'm going 55-60 mph. Of course I do lose about 300 feet of elevation over that 7 miles. That means I don't get that going back to town!

2061 - 2080 of 2083 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
856 Participants
cyberdog433
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing