Subaru Outback Forums banner

2081 - 2099 of 2099 Posts

·
Registered
Limited 11OB 2.5i CVT 140k mi
26 Posts
No photo but for the first 7.4 miles from my usual fuel fill up to parking at my house I average 44.? to 45.? each time. It depends on if I have to stop at either of the two stoplights between. Most of the way I'm going 55-60 mph. Of course I do lose about 300 feet of elevation over that 7 miles. That means I don't get that going back to town!
Ya, that 300 feet elevation drop certainty helps not to mention going thru green lights!

·
Registered
Limited 11OB 2.5i CVT 140k mi
26 Posts
They patched it and filled the tires to 36psi all around.

The car feels a bit more nimble, but now I'm hearing more bumping noises coming from the front suspension. Are Outbacks typically noisy? (road noise) ... it seems to be noisier than my Tundra (running over pressure tires).
Them repair places and dealers tend to overfill the car tires! 36 psi is way too much! You can go 2 psi over the door sticker numbers, but no more.

Hard to find car repairmen that actually take the time to read the door sticker and put the correct pressure for the particular vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
453 Posts
Most places inflate 40psi or higher to bead the tire onto the rim, but don't bother to lower the pressures back down. When my RT43s were installed, the shop left them at 45psi! - While it wasn't super harsh, compared to the stock Continentals, it was firm and very darty with any steering input. Pulled out the pressure gauge after getting to work, and aired them down to 35psi, until they could fully cool, then made the final adjustments.

You have to keep in mind that most of the tire guys are paid by the hour, and if they could make it through one of the trade schools they'd be a full fledged mechanic, not a tire changer and quick-lube jockey.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
1 Posts
Just switched the tires on my 2011 2.5i Prem (stock 225/60/17) from Kumho Solus TA11's to Goodyear WeatherReady's. Living in Reno, I tend to go up to Tahoe a few times a month or over the pass to Sac and figured the traction in the winter will be great. I've had them on for over a week and have seen a MASS reduction in MPG; far greater than the 3-4mpg drop some have stated can happen. I usually average 26 mpg with about a 40/60 street/hwy mix but so far the most I'm getting is 20.1. A day before the tire switch I just finished a 2 day trek to Santa Cruz/San Jose in which I averaged 30.1mpg on the trip.

I understand the new tires have a far greater rolling resistance & especially if a '3 peak mountain tire,' but this just seems to be an absurd drop in MPG. Has anyone else had a massive drop in MPG upon tire switch? I plan on hitting up a the Bay Area a few more times in winter, which would now be a hinderance for my wallet if the MPG keeps low.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our 2014 Outback came with Goodyear Assurance tires and we're averaging 18 mpg, mostly city driving. I've had the Kumho Solus TAs11 on another car (2.1L Porsche 914) and really liked them. I never clocked the mpg with them, but they hugged the road very well, especially for being low-priced tires. Although our Outback is a bit heavier, I may give them a try when it needs new tires.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i. Approximately 75,000 miles. Purchased used 11/29/19
89 Posts
I am "only" getting about 24 mpg at 77 mph on the express way. I was expecting to get closer to 26 or better. Some say it is the winter blend of fuel way up in the Wisconsin frozen tundra (yeah it was 52 degrees on Christmas day!).

I normally can "beat" the rated EPA figures on most cars. My 2012 OB 2.5 I think was rated at 22/27. But I can not get anywhere near that mileage even driving very conservatively. I will admit I am ONLY accepting the average mileage that is puked out of the cars computer. And I have not actually calculated it fill up to fill up.

The tires were brand new from the used auto dealer. I can't remember the brand, but the dealer stated they are the generic brand name of the basic "General Tire" that they have had great luck with. P225-60-17 with proper air pressure.

Have other people had this poor of mpg with "winter blend" fuel?

Another co-worker says he has found Subaru's to be more sensitive to the winter blends than any other vehicle he has ever owned. he says he loses up to 20% mpg with it gets "cold". He said by cold he means at or below 40 degree F. This may just "happen" to coincide about the time they change over to the "winter blend" of fuel.

What say you experienced northern hemisphere Subaru owners?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,087 Posts
2010 outback with 141K on it... getting between 20-23 mixed depending upon outside temp 3.6R with 5EAT. can touch 27 on the highway. Tires are you average run of the mill Arizonian Silver Edition III...

·
Registered
89 Posts
YeuEmMaiMai,

So you are getting the same mileage with the 3.6 liter engine, as I am getting with the 2.5 liter with CVT. (about 24 mpg).

I would have expected the 6 cylinder to get a bit lower mileage compared to the smaller 4 cylinder engine!

Although in Arizona, I would not expect that you would be subject to the "winter blend" unleaded fuel that way up in the northern states have to live with.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,087 Posts
^ yup, keep your foot out of it. with my 2014 legacy I get 28 mixed (about 70K) and my friend gets 27 in his 13 outback with about 104K on it. when I drive I keep the revs about 2 to 2.5K when accelerating and keep an eye on the traffic ahead to plan accordingly.. highway is roughly 26-27 at 70mph...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do have a light foot. But still don’t get good mileage.

Yesterday it was like 55 degrees outside and I got noticeably better mileage.

Why would temperature have such a dramatic effect on gas mileage? It seems like part of it is the density of the air or something.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I can't explain it but it is like that with all of my CVT Subaru take forever to warm up and until then it not good on gas. my older 2003 there is not much difference... about 1-2 mpg...with the 3.6R and 5EAT it bit worse at about 3mpg and the 14 with the CVT and 2.5L goes from 28 average down to 21-22 when the temps get down in the 0 degree F range

·
Registered
89 Posts
No. I mean outside air temp even after the car is up and running to full operating temp. When air is cold it gets worse mileage. I would love to know if it is directly related to the CVT fluid temp. But cannot get a read out of that from what I have learned so far. I have a hard time believing that something like 30 degrees F will cause the CVT to be cold enough that it noticeably reduces the fuel mileage.

If it is the CVT temp. Maybe I need to get a winter jacket or even a skid plate to help insulate and keep it warm. or a cover for the cvt fluid cooler. But that would be a huge pain to put on and take off with the way the temp swings in Wisconsin. Definitely would not want to over heat it if it warms up for a day or on a trip to warmer climates.

Just seems like BS that the fuel mileage would be so variable based on outside air temp.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Li CVT + 1985 GL 4WD Wagon
38 Posts
2014 2.5 CVT with 132k miles.

First few tanks of ownership I tried 85 octane because I live at 8k feet and work at 10k. Decent elevation gain and loss on a daily basis. My 25 minute commute to work mixed with a couple highway trips on the weekend got me 22-25 MPG for the first 3k miles with General Altimax RT43 tires.

Got GT Radial IcePro 3 tires put on, threw a bottle of techron in, and switched to 87 for the last two tanks and got 25 on the tank with the techron, and 27 on the one after. Same mixed use, mostly my commute and a 100-200 mile mountain highway trip or two to snowboard on my days off.

I'm due for an air filter replacement, and oil change--going to use the red jug Rotella 0w-20 for gassers. I'll clean the MAF then too. I'd love to see 30 on a highway only tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did about a 500 (almost 1,000 there and back) mile trip from northern Va to Greenville SC in November. I have Geolandar G015's 225 65-17 on and had them aired to 35psi the car hauled me (220lbs) the gf (105lbs) our 2 dogs together about 70-80lbs together and our load which I'd say was about another 60ish pounds. With the 2012 2.5 cvt, 120k miles and fresh oil the total average was 30mpg going off the computer and cruising out of the SC and NC mountains at about 70 - 75 until we hit the flat half of NC and Va. After filling up having done about 400 miles, computer was telling me I had 500+ miles on a full tank lol compared to my 335+/- on my daily work drives. Really want a 3.6 now so I don't feel bad when ascending mountain roads

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
No. I mean outside air temp even after the car is up and running to full operating temp. When air is cold it gets worse mileage. I would love to know if it is directly related to the CVT fluid temp. But cannot get a read out of that from what I have learned so far. I have a hard time believing that something like 30 degrees F will cause the CVT to be cold enough that it noticeably reduces the fuel mileage.

If it is the CVT temp. Maybe I need to get a winter jacket or even a skid plate to help insulate and keep it warm. or a cover for the cvt fluid cooler. But that would be a huge pain to put on and take off with the way the temp swings in Wisconsin. Definitely would not want to over heat it if it warms up for a day or on a trip to warmer climates.

Just seems like BS that the fuel mileage would be so variable based on outside air temp.
once the CVT car has warmed up, the legacy will return 29mpg at 72....

·
Registered
31 Posts

I know you posted that 4 months ago, but no, the cold has nothing to do with your CVT temp, all cars burn more fuel when the air is colder as the computer has to adjust for cold with air/fuel ratios increasing.
I am getting very good gas mileage on my 2014 Outback 2.5 right now, 9.4L/100km and that is all city stop and go driving! **** that is only .2 better then my POS Nissan Sentra I traded it in for last year!

·
Registered
14 Posts
interesting to see a variety of MPG here.
i myself is getting about 23-24 mixed city/highway on 87 octane here in CA, where the car is all stock with Continental tires (which will need replacing in the next few months).

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, 2014 Forester XT
1 Posts
I average 27-29 (if I really keep an eye on it) during my 25 mile stop & go highway commute. 2013 2.5i w/ 98k

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
59 Posts
I have averaged 25 mpgs over my last oil change interval (close to 8k miles). That said, there has been a fair amount of idling and city traffic driving in that interval. Mine is a 2010 2.5i with around 190k miles on it. Personally I think the cvt is a gimmick. I've gotten as high as 32 mpgs average on an all-highway trip. Never seen anything higher than that for a length longer than 5 miles or so. My next Outback will probably be a 4th or 5th gen 3.6R. Skip the CVT if you can. The reliability issues aren't worth the extra increase of 1-2 miles per gallon average max per tank. Besides, from what I've seen, most 3.6Rs average north of 20 mpgs anyway. I'm sure I could hypermile one and get at least 25 mpg average. Wish they made some non-cvt H4s in the Gen 4 and 5 OBs. Oh well.

2081 - 2099 of 2099 Posts