Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
burnedhog - Great post! I bought mine before the sales people had any schooling on it and very few reports out on it in July 09. I bought it more on faith of past products, even if this is a new Outback over the 2009. Had a few things wrong, however everyone is fixed and I have a great Subaru. Subaru is a great company, and they answer all my e-mails too!

Thanks for your work on this post.

Build Date 6/9-

·
Registered
85 Posts
burnedhog said:

In view of the large majority of great reports plus, the fact that SOA is now replacing or buying back irrepairable shakers, I am proceeding with my order.

The 2011 subies are coming out soon!!! Would it be better for you to wait? I am happy with mine (recently bought) but if I knew the 2011 were coming out so soon I would have waited.

:)

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I already have a deposit and a VIN# of one coming in. I'm optimistic that, one way or another, I'll get a good one! Just hope I don't have to pull teeth and spend months and multiple trips to the dealer running gauntlet if it develops the shakes!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Now...those are some really great reads. Lots of info that I didn't have when I purchased my OB...I did my research....but compared to all those...not so much :5:

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, just copying/pasting links found with google searches.

There is a lot to like about the 2010 Outback. And Subaru has been steady in its pursuit and implementation of fixes for those inevitable 1st model year glitches.

However, unlike the hesitation and the cold/high altitude start issues that were fixed quickly, the fix for the wheel shake issue has been elusive.

But, recent reports of success by SOA District Service Reps and engineer teams are very encouraging that Subaru is quickly zeroing-in.

And at least Subaru has been replacing and buying back those OB's that have proven that they can't be fixed. That says a lot in my book.

I'm still proceeding with my purchase.

scoobydoo2 said:
Now...those are some really great reads. Lots of info that I didn't have when I purchased my OB...I did my research....but compared to all those...not so much :5:

·
Registered
22 Posts
berniemason said:
[..However, I am definitely not a fan of the CVT transmission; especially in combination with an under-powered engine.. Bernie [/B]
After 7K miles on our new CVT Outback, I don't think the 2.5 is underpowered. 100% of driving so far has been essentially at sea level with no hills though. Folks in the high country might have a different experience. The CVT is certainly a different driving experience and will not win a drag race. But, if I had wanted that sort of performance, I would have bought a Magnum SRT/8. I find acceleration to be more than adequate in stop light jump starts. It's just 'different'. I guess that is the Subie quirk for the new OB, the CVT is 'different'.

With that being said, a turbo OB would be a hoot!

We are a multi Subie family:

2010 Outback Premium
2003 Baja
2003 WRX
1999 Outback Limited
1995 Legacy

Previously:
1995 Legacy
1995 SVX (the coolest Subie ever)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have owned one six cylinder, one eight cylinder, and five four cylinder cars and the 2010 OB has equal or better acceleration for all but for two of them (the v-8 Impala and a 4 cylinder Camry). The OB will not pin you to the seat, but I have had no trouble merging onto the Interstate or passing as needed (this in the Atlanta area where folks drive pretty fast). That is my experience. Others may feel more need for speed and would prefer more power for pulling. Different strokes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2.5 or 3.6

I have a bmw x3. After hearing all the great comments about the outback - I am seriously thinking of buying one. I have 2 big goldens that I like to cart around and hike with. I live in an area with lots of snow. The 2.5 is appealing due to the gas mileage and environment - but I don't think I will be happy without the 3.6. Sounds like from comments you need the 3.6 to get through snow, up hills, and generally enjoy the subaru more. What do you think? I am deciding this week and really would appreciate any comments or feedback - on #1 - Will I love the subaru after driving the x3 as much as you all do and #2 - should I get the 3.6? HELP!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the 2.5 and have no issues in deep snow or going up hills, I would say the six cylinder is needed when towing hauling lots of heavy cargo, or just want as much power as possible, I have a small(light) 4*8 trailer I hall a couple motocross bikes on, about 700 to 800 lbs total. I can tell it is back there but buy no means kills the car.

Just my opinion I love mine and the gas mileage is worth the trade off for me, plus the initial savings.

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I live at 7200, we just got about a foot of snow, local schools closed, lost power for most of the day. I need a reliable 4wd to get up my access road and then to get up my driveway. I chose the Outback based on my neighbors' very strong recommendations.

However, as described in this forum, the 2010 OB has 2 potentially serious issues:

1) the Steering wheel shake, thus far with no verified fix, and;
2) Unsupportive SOA and/or dealer to which obliges manyh to pull teeht for months pursuing a fix, a buyback, or, a replacement.

No ones knows for sure what the shaker-to-non-shaker ratio is. Some members here have quoted Service Tech sources that all 2010 Outbacks are affected to one degree or another.

In view of the widescale rebuild of the suspension, engine mounts & brackets, steeering gear and body mounts busings that memers report that SOA engineers are upgrading, it is hard to imagine how any 2010 Outback with the original parts would not be affected, either now, or, when the car settles at higher mileage and the effect of "tolerance stacking" takes effect.

And there are mounting reports of the commencement of the shake at higher mileage.

Thses are not figment sof my imagination because I have a bone to pick wuth anyine. There are reports from owner/forum members in here.

I also want a 2010 Outback, but the abysmal SOA and dealer support of those afflicted with the shaker problem is very discouraging. I'd be mor ewilling to roll the dice if I knew that, in the end, Subaru would take care of me. But many reports in here shoot that down.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't know about the steering wheel shake, I think you also have to consider most people don't post when everything is fine, only when there is a problem. I think my dealer is great haven't had any problems so I have nothing to report about dealing with soa. I personally would recommend the vehicle, but I'm sure you could find someone easily on the board who would not.:8:

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have posted everything positive that I could find about the 2010 Outback. But it would be less than truthful in a thread entitled "New Buyer Research" to disregard the bad stuff too. This site has both the good and the bad. Potential buyers have to weight the good and the bad and make their own decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also note another award: "April 12 -- Subaru of America, Inc. today announced that the 2010 Subaru Outback received the 2010 Ward's Auto Interior of the Year Award for popular-priced car under $29,999. The 2010 Ward's Auto Interior of the Year Awards list features winners in pricing and vehicle type categories, as well as special award winners for design, versatility and brand expression." Subaru Outback Wins 2010 Ward's Auto Interior of the Year Award

·
Registered
11 Posts
.... the reporting of members of SubaruOutback.org has alerted me to some common problems with the new 2010 Outback, ... i.e.; the rolling start hesitation, the steering wheel shimmy and problems with high altitude cold weather starting.

.... Subaru is addressing/fixing these problems ....
Yep, my 1/10 2.5 Outback LTD has the rolling start hesitation and picks up a slight vibration between 65 and 70. Not a big deal, yet.

Subaru is fixing it? If it was fixable, a company with the size and resources of Subaru would have it fixed by now don't ya think? :D

·
Banned
27 Posts
Information about the wheel shake/vibration problem...

…The service manager reported to me that last week, while at a meeting, he had received official info and instructions from a SOA Tech who was in attendance specifically related to the "shimmy/vibration" issue!

The SOA/Technician overviewed procedures in place to manage Legacy/Outbacks with these problems. He said that about 20,000 vehicles are "affected".

My service manager was instructed that he would soon be provided with ordering information for a "Kit". To his knowledge it was the bushings that are being replaced. Once the "kit" is received, then an appointment would be set in which a SOA/Technician would come to the dealer to evaluate the car and perform the repair…. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wheel-vibration-2010-legacy-2-5i-premium-124998p7.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
brand new 2010 outback received on 25th of Apr, 2.5 with all black~~too much fun for the drive.
Question: any outback2010 bodykit for sale???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, my 1/10 2.5 Outback LTD has the rolling start hesitation and picks up a slight vibration between 65 and 70. Not a big deal, yet.

Subaru is fixing it? If it was fixable, a company with the size and resources of Subaru would have it fixed by now don't ya think? :D
I've been driving for cup of days, no any problem a...

The temp of my city is around 20to33~~

·
Registered
84 Posts
RE: BurnedHog

****! That was a great first post! :D

You've got my vote for a sticky, in fact burnedhog has given me a wake up call because I used to make loaded posts with a lot of content regularly but apparently I've been slacking off :17:

Well done, thanks for coming aboard and joining all the great members we have at Outback.org :7:

Dear Myllari,

Why was Burnedhog banned? I see that under his name. He has given us some great information and knows so much about Subaru's. I'm confused.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Dear Myllari,

Why was Burnedhog banned? I see that under his name. He has given us some great information and knows so much about Subaru's. I'm confused.
Uh oh, another BH alias? LOL

If you click on his name, then click "view posts by this user", I think the answer to your question will be blatantly obvious. Then in a pathetic attempt at redemption, he started the X-Buyer SN.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Uh oh, another BH alias? LOL

If you click on his name, then click "view posts by this user", I think the answer to your question will be blatantly obvious. Then in a pathetic attempt at redemption, he started the X-Buyer SN.

Oh, thanks. I didn't think someone would get banned on a Subaru site. He must have turned out nasty to be banned. But, he sure did a nice job on informing us of how nice the Subaru is.

I'm still finding my way around and learning more and more as I read on. This forum sure has been helpful as I'm having lots of problems trying to buy a Subaru with my dealer. I'm still working out the price haggling part. It's funny how I just got a call from the dealer owner while I was posting this and we are to meet with him soon. This is my third meeting. I hope we can come to terms.

We switched from a 2.5i to a 3.6R and all of a sudden the terms have changed. It's funny how they can discount a 2.5i and then all of a sudden they change their tune when you say you want a 3.6R instead. It's as almost as if they were gold. Maybe Subaru needs to make more of them. If they had them, they would sell them. I wonder if they don't get as much of a profit on the 3.6 vs. the 2.5i.

Thanks again.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
47 Participants
Des
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing