Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
New Buyer Research

That title would indicate research as to who buys these cars. However it seems to be just alittle more of the same - There are tens of thousands of people who have purchased 2010-11 outbacks who do not respond to this forum, who are completely satisfied with the automobile. Its that way on most forums - you typically here from people who are having issues with the car! Not necessarily a bad thing but to a person who is looking at a subby for the first time (as I was in june of 2010) it gives a unfair overall picture of the car. Because the Subaru has almost a cult following it is confusing to hear about so many issues surrounding the newly designed outback. After "weeding thru the chaff", doing alittle leg work and test driving a few ob's its clear subaru came up with another winner in the new outback. Yup some shake issues and some hesitation issues but in small numbers (you wouldn't think that if all you did was read thru this forum) that will be fixed by soa. If I had just spent 30 grand on a new ob and it shimmyed down the road I would be VERY upset also. I don't mean to make small of that issue. A very few indicate that it was just fine at purchase and has developed "the shimmy" after a time. Still - the numbers are small - a large majority are very pleased with their purchase. I test drove a 2010 ob that shimmyed at 65 mph. Salesman told me it was probably a tire issue. I test drove another 2011 ob limited next (build date june 2010) - no shimmy at all. Both had the same tires. I bought the 2011 limited and in a four week period I have put almost 5000 miles on the car and that included two round trip tows of 2500 lbs from Houston, tx to larkspur, co. without a minute of problems. I get better than the posted mpg. The 2.5 did a great job towing and the cvt transmission did what it was engineered to do in silence and without a shutter! My only complaint if you want to call it a complaint - do away with the fuel econ meter and replace it with a dual temp guage showing the temp of the eng.coolant and the transmission fluid (for us that tow). I sympathise with those having new model problems but if you are new to the subaru product as I was and like the outback - go for it! Just test drive a few - you'll be rewarded with an exceptional automobile. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh Lord, I thought I may have noticed some vibration in my new OB 2.5 Ltd, but now it's all going to be psychosomatic from here on out :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread. Many thanks!

I got pretty caught up in the 'Shaking Wheel' reading tonight (about 3 hours worth) and it was pretty discouraging. Almost had me completely backing away from going to the dealer for a test drive tomorrow.

This new OB has finally grown on me 'looks' wise (I love the way it looks now, initially i felt it was too big and more SUV than station wagon) and the reports have all been good. This shaking issue was the first negative i had come across. although it is a genuine concern, if it's only affecting a small number of vehicles perhaps i can over look it....?

2.5 or 3.6 is the big question now.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Go for the test drive. It will win you over. I opted for the 3.6R as I was coming from a V8 Jeep and thought the 2.5i might have been too much of a jump. I am very happy with the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too am struggling a bit buy/no buy decision because of the "Shake" issue. If there was no issue it would be a done deal.

I am coming from an 2003 XTerra V6 with only 180ish HP on a pretty heavy frame, so it is not a real snappy experience, not the best ride on the planet...but very good on limited off road and NO issues at all.

I test drove both the 2.5i and 3.6R this weekend through the foothills of South Orange County, both handled it fine, minor pros to cons of each.

The CVT did fine on the climbs, I played a bit with manual shifting too...worked fine. You can hear the CVT, but it was not overpowering, and you definitely don't get the shift "surge" of a normal automatic transmission.

The 3.6R had a more power and a little quieter..little smoother, in fact at one point at the light I had to take a quick looks at the tach to see it was still running. I tried the coast then accelerate test it worked fine, but it did shift with a solid surge under acceleration up the hill, it was fine nothing out of the ordinary but back-to-back the CVT and the 5 speed are definitely different.

So i have done 3 test rides all firm handling no shake, one 2.5i on freeway at 70 mph+ the other 2 up to 60-65 around the foothills...still trying to decide.

Actually, I can wait my XTerra will run for years, but I get to point after all the research and driving that I just want to get on with it...but still a little hesitant.

Fine, I can use the time to decide if I want to be more socially / fiscally conscience with the 2.5i or a little more fun / power with the 3.6R. I do go to the mountains but I don't have a problem putting up the hill if need be. I am also seriously looking at the XC70, 3.2 FWD it is a little more but a seriously nice car (especially now that you get Free 5 years maintenance and wear and tear items for 5 years / 60K...pretty much everything but tires.)

Oh well back to thinking...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If it wasn't for the CVT I would say go with the 3.6 or get a manual 2.5. But having replaced my old 2.5 5spd MT subaru with a new CVT over 14,000 miles ago I'll be the first to admit the new CVT is impressive and probably the best thing Subaru has ever done to the 4banger.

Even tows nice! We did SF to Big Bear in July this year roof box and a full car two adults kid and a dog. Arrived in Big Bear from the back side with a trip average of 28mpg. That was with a SF to Grapevine speed of around 75mph. Very happy with that

Then we spent a couple of days in Palm Springs scorching hot 116 our dark blue OB could have doubled as a frying pan. The AC was cold and worked great. Returned back to SF with a 75-80mph trip back with the return trip showing 26mpg. We were in a little more of a hurry to get home.

If subaru had a larger heavier platform I'd consider getting the 3.6 but having lived with the 2.5 since 2001 and towed boats up and down the west coast from Seattle to SD I haven't found the need for more power. Cooling capacity in the old car yes but the new car seems to have no complaints regarding cooling.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fine, I can use the time to decide if I want to be more socially / fiscally conscience with the 2.5i or a little more fun / power with the 3.6R. I do go to the mountains but I don't have a problem putting up the hill if need be. I am also seriously looking at the XC70, 3.2 FWD it is a little more but a seriously nice car (especially now that you get Free 5 years maintenance and wear and tear items for 5 years / 60K...pretty much everything but tires.)

Oh well back to thinking...
I strongly considered the XC70, much nicer interior in terms of quality of materials, similar (maybe a tiny bit better) cargo space, and the 5-yrs maintenance is nice, but I went with the outback because i felt the 3.6 is more fun to drive than the 3.2, and optioned similarly, the volvo is approximately $4-5k more (though a power liftgate would be a nice convenience option) so I figured that I'm basically paying ahead for 5 years of maintenance and 2 years of wear and tear since Subaru covers 3 years of wear and tear items.

I was also not feeling the whole Volvo is now a Chinese car thing which in hindsight is kinda stupid of me since, as a Korean, I should probably have stronger feelings towards buying a Japanese car ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I strongly considered the XC70, much nicer interior in terms of quality of materials, similar (maybe a tiny bit better) cargo space, and the 5-yrs maintenance is nice, but I went with the outback because i felt the 3.6 is more fun to drive than the 3.2, and optioned similarly, the volvo is approximately $4-5k more (though a power liftgate would be a nice convenience option) so I figured that I'm basically paying ahead for 5 years of maintenance and 2 years of wear and tear since Subaru covers 3 years of wear and tear items.

I was also not feeling the whole Volvo is now a Chinese car thing which in hindsight is kinda stupid of me since, as a Korean, I should probably have stronger feelings towards buying a Japanese car ;)
Thanks for the good input...somehow I missed the 3 years wear and tear for the Subies...that's great.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you owned and what kind of mileage are you getting out of your 3.6?

On the Volvo / Chinese thing, my friend who is a long time Volvo employee said that right now things are better with Ford out of the way, long term he is waiting and seeing. BTW I do get the Nationalistic References :) and I lived in Seoul for 2 1/2 years as boy as a USAF brat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So the shake & shimmy problem has Subaru of America started a recall campaign on this issue or is this a "silent" recall trying to isolate what the problem is ? at the dealer etc ? has to be in the production / manufacturing stages !! my 2 cents !

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cvt reverse problems

So my case number with SOA is 1550801696 - the 2011 with CVT is not expected to be able to clear objects greater then 5" without momentum!

WHAT THIS MEANS: If you get stuck somewhere and cannot move forward and have uneven surface behind your rear or front tires the CAR WILL NOT CLEAR THE OBJECT WITHOUT MOMENTUM.

I have been to Georgetown Subaru in CT and their service manager agreed that the car is not suitable for driving off of roads anymore with the CVT if you were to need to reverse.

I have taken my car, reversed up to a curb, stopped, then tried to apply the gas pedal only to have the car sit at 2500 RPMS and go nowhere. The only way I was able to get my SUBARU OUTBACK 2011 CVT over the curb was to reverse into the curb with speed and risk blowing my tires or denting my rims.

IF YOU INTEND OR NEED TO REVERSE IN DEEP SNOW OR OVER ROCKS DO NOT GET THE CVT TRANNY. SOA DOES NOT THINK THIS IS AN ISSUE. :28:

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
So my case number with SOA is 1550801696 - the 2011 with CVT is not expected to be able to clear objects greater then 5" without momentum!

WHAT THIS MEANS: If you get stuck somewhere and cannot move forward and have uneven surface behind your rear or front tires the CAR WILL NOT CLEAR THE OBJECT WITHOUT MOMENTUM.

I have been to Georgetown Subaru in CT and their service manager agreed that the car is not suitable for driving off of roads anymore with the CVT if you were to need to reverse.

I have taken my car, reversed up to a curb, stopped, then tried to apply the gas pedal only to have the car sit at 2500 RPMS and go nowhere. The only way I was able to get my SUBARU OUTBACK 2011 CVT over the curb was to reverse into the curb with speed and risk blowing my tires or denting my rims.

IF YOU INTEND OR NEED TO REVERSE IN DEEP SNOW OR OVER ROCKS DO NOT GET THE CVT TRANNY. SOA DOES NOT THINK THIS IS AN ISSUE. :28:
Not really anything I've had happen not that I haven't tried with the stupid trailering and backing up tricks I've ended up in. So far its backed up over plenty of things even with a trailer behind it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
As a person that used to work in the auto sales racket, for a variety of reasons I will not purchase new vehicles. I will look for a 1-2 year old vehicle with low(er) mileage. That being said, I am very interested in purchasing a 2010-11 OB premium. What concerns me is what happens to all of the OB's that are bought back or exchanged by SOA. Are they then auctioned to non Subaru (or even Subaru) dealers for resale to the general public?
Does anyone know?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
As a person that used to work in the auto sales racket, for a variety of reasons I will not purchase new vehicles. I will look for a 1-2 year old vehicle with low(er) mileage. That being said, I am very interested in purchasing a 2010-11 OB premium. What concerns me is what happens to all of the OB's that are bought back or exchanged by SOA. Are they then auctioned to non Subaru (or even Subaru) dealers for resale to the general public?
Does anyone know?
If you've worked in the biz then you know the answer.

#1 the General public will have all sorts of odd ball complaints and reasons why a car gets returned or lemon lawed etc. The % of cars which actually do have some type of flaw and actually do shake for reasons other than crappy tires etc are probably a very small number of cars. I own 2 2010's of the affected platform with the shakes I bought both knowing about the shake issue even when it was just a few people commenting on the issue in Oct November 2009. I did a very detailed test drive on both cars to make sure they were as shake free checked as possible prior to buying them. Checked tire pressure and ran various high speeds for a fair distance looking for signs of trouble.

Both currently have over 27,000 miles on them and are still "shake Free" however the outback with the continental tires has one tire which has gradually gone out of round and has been tracked by the local tire shop I have doing the rotation and balancing. Also the continentals have both I and the tire shop a bit mystified as to why the tires seem to change balance over time in a fairly large manner requiring in some cases a sizable amount of weights. Something I've never had with other cars or tires. I can't wait to get rid of the continentals!

As for what subaru does with the cars bought back from folks? Any number of things pending what the actual issue is with the car. Crushed - used internally - fixed and re sold. You name it.

A smart company that builds a good product would simply take back the product from unhappy consumers and sell the product to a consumer that enjoys and likes the product. Yes there are some companies that do this Auto companies not so much but other companies do operate this way.

As for what your getting for the price? The OB and Legacy from a value standpoint and cost simply have no competition making them a great value and at the price point a very cheap alternative to a AWD Infinity - BMW - Mercedes shoot even a Ford Explorer is quite expensive and returns far less mileage with a lower tow rating. LOL So from a what your getting for your money standpoint the OB and Legacy are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you've worked in the biz then you know the answer.

As for what your getting for the price? The OB and Legacy from a value standpoint and cost simply have no competition making them a great value and at the price point a very cheap alternative to a AWD Infinity - BMW - Mercedes shoot even a Ford Explorer is quite expensive and returns far less mileage with a lower tow rating. LOL So from a what your getting for your money standpoint the OB and Legacy are dirt cheap.

I searched for 2 years and kept coming back the Outback. I could not beat it's value for money with the interior quality and smooth ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those of us that are shopping for a new Outback, this may be a useful tool. This site allows you to view what others have paid by dealer. They have reported prices for the Outback.

Canyon Subaru in Twin Falls, ID sold an MY13 Auto 3.6i Premium for $25,590
Reported at: Regionalwise | www.?voiceofthedriver.com

Be sure to share your price paid/details after you purchase to help others in their price negotiations w/ dealers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wish I would have seen this before I bought my 2012 OB. I too live in Colorado - SW area. I'm driving 7700 and more all winter long. The vibration is definitely an issue and I haven't gotten any satisfaction.

How have you made out with your Subaru?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
47 Participants
Des
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing