Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Limited Outback fully loaded
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filmed this, so the video will be up sooooon :) Cheers!

(PLACEHOLDER)

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback limited 3.6R
108 Posts
Hey ChrisJ,
Been meaning to tell you: I subscribed to your youtube channel and can see individual videos - but when i click see "all your videos" it tells me "channel not available." Not sure if its a setting or what not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manik, that's so weird... I'll check out the settings.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manik, that's so weird... I'll check out the settings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
19mm RSB Installation instructions with torque settings

The attached pdf provides instructions and torque settings for the 19mm RSB upgrade. This and Chris' video should make installation easy and correct.

Just a note - no need to lift vehicle or remove anything other than the old RSB.

Attachments

·
Registered
'14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
118 Posts
The attached pdf provides instructions and torque settings for the 19mm RSB upgrade. This and Chris' video should make installation easy and correct.

Just a note - no need to lift vehicle or remove anything other than the old RSB.
bfoutch, thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to ChrisJ's video, hoping to install the 19mm RSB on my OB soon.

Just one note for folks using bfoutch's pdf, the inch conversion is off, it states 6mm = 6.24in, when it's really 6mm = .24in. Looks like a typo in the Subaru instructions. The kgf-m to ft-lb conversions look correct. https://www.google.com/search?q=6mm+to+in

On a separate note, I've seen on the RSB thread that folks without torque wrenches hand-tighten as much as they can without stripping the bolts, and use threadlocker.... RSB Tutorial post322349 Is that really an acceptable method?

·
Registered
91 Posts
bfoutch, thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to ChrisJ's video, hoping to install the 19mm RSB on my OB soon.

Just one note for folks using bfoutch's pdf, the inch conversion is off, it states 6mm = 6.24in, when it's really 6mm = .24in. Looks like a typo in the Subaru instructions. The kgf-m to ft-lb conversions look correct. https://www.google.com/search?q=6mm+to+in

On a separate note, I've seen on the RSB thread that folks without torque wrenches hand-tighten as much as they can without stripping the bolts, and use threadlocker.... RSB Tutorial post322349 Is that really an acceptable method?
Thanks for catching the conversion error. Since my new bar had the paint marks, I lined the bushings up to the edges of the paint stripes like the instructions said and then used a 6mm Allen wrench to check the spacing to the stop. This worked out well for me. Also, I believe I recently saw that subaruonlineparts.com posted the instruction sheet in another post, so they should get the credit for the instruction sheet. I found it earlier on a legacy forum.

Regarding torque. I was an aircraft mechanic in a previous life and consider proper torque as a requirement, especially if a torque is called out by the instructions. Just how would one tell when you are "close to stripping the bolts"? You will certainly know when you go past that point! Use a calibrated torque wrench and you do not have to worry about this problem. I also used blue Loctite 242 and torqued to instruction's numbers without any lubricant compensation. This is the method recommended by Loctite - "No on-torque adjustments needed". http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/168592_LT4985_Threadlocking_Guide.pdf

·
Registered
'14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
118 Posts
Regarding torque. I was an aircraft mechanic in a previous life and consider proper torque as a requirement, especially if a torque is called out by the instructions. Just how would one tell when you are "close to stripping the bolts"? You will certainly know when you go past that point! Use a calibrated torque wrench and you do not have to worry about this problem. I also used blue Loctite 242 and torqued to instruction's numbers without any lubricant compensation. This is the method recommended by Loctite - "No on-torque adjustments needed". http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/168592_LT4985_Threadlocking_Guide.pdf
Bfoutch, thanks for recommending the torque wrench and loctite. I was a Lego Constructor/Builder in a previous life and working on (real, life-sized) cars is new to me. I never encountered a scenario where a particular torque setting was required, and in this application I decided to be prudent and followed your advice. I went out and got a beam style torque wrench from Sears, they apply the usual "bring it back and we'll replace it" warranty on these so I figured that was a good in-the-middle approach. You were right, I had no idea what kind of torque I was applying and I'm happy I got the wrench. I also had some loctite from a previous project: blue 243.

I'll be checking on the sway bar every so often making sure nothing is loose, but I do feel better knowing everything was set at the appropriate torque. As for the RSB itself I didn't think much of it when it came, but comparing it to the OEM, it's about a 60% increase in thickness. I haven't driven the car after install, but I'm looking forward to a difference in handling and less body sway.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
25 Posts
Hi - Has the video been posted and removed? Is there a link to it anywhere? I am completely new to tooling around with cars, so any type of DIY videos will help immensely - regardless of it being a 10 minute or 5 hour job.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys as you know or may not know, I leave for work sometimes a month at a time! I have been so busy I haven't had time to post this!! I ended up with a different 4th gen, and will be re-filming this in a few weeks. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
Just bought an '11 OB Limited... Been reading about this mod a lot around the forum and am REALLY interested in the video to see if it's something I can take care of myself.

Sub'd, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem, I am still waiting on my second bar to arrive! Then I'll film it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts