Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably one of the most moronic things I've done in my life, but my wife and I recently bought a Tribeca. We were taking our time on the purchase prior to child number 3 so we wouldn't be rushed into a purchase.

So we love Subarus... have an '05 Outback and wanted to stay Subaru for vehicle #2. After browsing the new vehicles, we saw the Tribeca was a 7 seater. Decided against a new vehicle and eventually spotted a used Tribeca in awesome shape.

Downside? Believe it or not, we honestly did not know there was a 5 passenger and 7 passenger difference. We never put the third row up because we didn't need it yet..... just assumed it had 7 seats (I told you a moronic decision).

-----

So this tale leads here. I've heard many mixed things.... people talking about converting 5 to 7 passenger not being smart, safety, etc... or that yes, it can be done.

The Tribeca DOES have a 7 seater so I'm assuming the design is safe for 7 seats. I'm not saying it's be cheap (as long as it's cheaper than ANOTHER purchase of a new vehicle)... but CAN it be done? I know this forum is for Outbacks, but there doesn't seem to be a subarutribeca.org site or such :)

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,343 Posts
It definitely can be done and if you don't have the skill to do it yourself an upholsterer in your area should be able to help.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Installing the 3d row seat belts sounds like a pain. Even more so for the rear AC evaporator and plumbing, but those are optional.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The optional is no big deal... just wanna make sure it's safe.

Update: I actually had Subaru call me back and confirm that the rear portion of the Tribeca is NOT in the cumple zone and safe for 3rd row seating. Aside from having to weld the seats in and do some custom hooking up (and obviously a safety inspection), it's all good :)

I can rest easy... (phew)

·
Registered
978 Posts
The seat will bolt right up. To install the seatbelts, you will likely need to remove trim panels and the headliner.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I would email a few dealers and see what kind of trade you can work out for a 3rd row Tribeca first.

Sure it CAN be done and probably safely, but I just think it would involve a lot of work. Plus IF you were in any accident that caused harm to a 3rd row passenger, it wouldn't take long for the insurance company to figure out your car didn't come stock with 3 rows. At that point they could easily refuse to pay any medical claims because you altered your vehicle.

Just my $0.02

Best of luck if youd decide to do it though, and be sure to post back your results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Insurance here in Canada won't be an issue. I got a confirmation that the body/framework is identical. I would need an inspection on the welding to ensure it will hold a required number of lbs of force.... ironically, my boss and I ARE weld inspectors lol.

Once that's done, it can be insured without an issue. We also don't have privatized insurance... so it's unlikely we'll run into an issue with companies refusing.

----

I also don't care about the AC and such in the back.... the internal AC system is good enough to cool the vehicle. Just need the seats and obviously seatbelts (which I've heard will be the worst part).

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
This is such a low volume vehical that there wont be some with and some without the mounts. They will all have the mouints from the factory so no need to inspect them.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The optional is no big deal... just wanna make sure it's safe.

Update: I actually had Subaru call me back and confirm that the rear portion of the Tribeca is NOT in the cumple zone and safe for 3rd row seating. Aside from having to weld the seats in and do some custom hooking up (and obviously a safety inspection), it's all good :)

I can rest easy... (phew)
I hope your through bolting the seat mounts - all seats are bolted through the floor for a reason. Bolts can and do stretch and tolerate lots of shock load - welds on the other hand easily fail especially when done wrong.

All of your seats should be through bolted through the floor pan of the car.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
This is such a low volume vehical that there wont be some with and some without the mounts. They will all have the mouints from the factory so no need to inspect them.
All he needs is the factory 3rd row seat and yes all the proper mounting points will be in place.

DO NOT WELD!!! Welding will weaken the metal and is also not how seats are mounted in vehicles!!!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
Bump - any other 5 to 7 seat conversion experience/knowledge aside from the one mention of it on SB9T?

opposed forces is a bit ambiguous of changes over the years, so it looks like any 7th seat should install into a 5 seater?

·
Registered
978 Posts
What, you got a Tribeca? Quite sure the conversion is the same between all years, although having to match the color and/or texture might restrict the choice of the donor vehicle. There could have been some minor updates to the seat assembly to fight squeaks and rattles mentioned in relevant TSBs, but the attachment points got to be the same.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
thanks for the link, i've never searched craigslist that way. a ton of dead links, but nonetheless a great option.

I think this is probably one of those things that would be easier/cheaper to sell the 5 passenger unit and buy an OEM 7 passenger unit?
definitely see the point. the way i buy vehicles though is quite different from most people.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think this is probably one of those things that would be easier/cheaper to sell the 5 passenger unit and buy an OEM 7 passenger unit?

It definitely is if one wants a full conversion, with an extra AC evaporator and air ducts in the rear.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,419 Posts
thanks for the link, i've never searched craigslist that way. a ton of dead links, but nonetheless a great option.
If you drop down the search options box, and select time, it gives you options of varying time to search. Select to search in the last month, most of the links will be valid.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts