Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a loyal and happy Subaru owner ever since I got my license when I was 17...I fell in love with the Subaru Outback when I was 8 years old when my friends parents bought a 98 Outback Limited....I thought it was the coolest car I've ever seen...Ever since then I've knew that's what I wanted for my first car. When I turned 17, I bought my 98 Outback from the same family with 2 blown head gaskets. I got a great deal on it, and being 17 I knew how to turn a wrench but working on a boxer motor was totally new for me. But after some blood sweat and tears and help from my dad I finally got my Outback running and I was the happiest kid ever. I didn't need a fast car for my first car like a lot of my other friends. I still had my share of problems with my 1st outback but it was a great car until my water pump failed. I was pretty bummed out because I didn't have a car anymore and I had put a lot of work and money into that car....A few weeks later my dad helped me buy the current Outback I own now...I'm 22 now...I turn 23 in less than a month and I've had my 08 Outback for almost 4 years now. I bought it used with 12k on it, and now she sits in my driveway with 83k on it. Needless to say she's one **** of a car, I've had some problems with it over the past 71,000 miles..headgaskets,both front axles, rear control arms, the gas door broke, wheel bearings,I had an accident with it 3 years ago, and I sadly slid into a curb bending the control arm 2 years ago, but right now she loves to eat up the miles on the highway. It left me stranded once about a mile and a half from my house over the summer when I was having issues with the axles...but despite all that...I don't think I could picture myself owning any other car, I love my Outback...I've had a lot of adventures and I know there will be more to come down the road...My friends would always poke fun at me for not buying a WRX, or an Outback XT...but like I said I don't need a fast car... I couldn't be any happier with my car... and I plan on keeping this car for the long haul even after I buy my next subaru a few years down the road....I just wanted to share that with everyone

·
Registered
696 Posts
I also fell in love with subaru at an early age.
My mom bought a Subaru GL coupe in 1980 .
At the time it was the coolest looking car.
My parents drove that car all over the US and Canada .
I loved the car so much I pissed off my date for my HS prom because I drove it instead of getting a limo with my friends.
She finally got rid of it after about 200 k miles because it need a entire new exhaust system .
Ever car show I went to I always went right to the Subaru and went right to the outback.
My first car was a 02 outback base with AWP .
Loved the car but it had the dreaded piston slap.
I got a good trade in deal and now drive my current car 06 outback 86k miles.
Going to drive this car untill the I cant safely drive it anymore.
Since I've had my two outback's . My friends have purchased a 08 impreza a 10impreza and a 11 forester.
So I know how ya feel .

Mike k
In South Jersey

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my close friends is a tech for subaru but he loves subaru with a passion...he's owned I think 14 subaru's now? I've lost count...He just bought an 88 Subaru XT6...But he's owned a subaru 360, he currently has an RS(His 4th one he keeps buying and selling them) an STi, a 1976 Subaru GF, an SVX, A 91 Turbo legacy, a 93 Subaru Legacy Wagon..I mean those are a few in his possession right now. But he and I share the same enthusiasm for Subaru...except he's owned more Subaru's in his life and he's younger than me than I probably will in my life. But I just love the Outback's....I remember when my car was being serviced at the dealer earlier this year the service rep who was helping me told me that my car isn't designed for off roading ( There was some slight damage under the car so they could tell) And I told her if she's see any Outback commercials of them being driven off road...like I said it's a very rugged car...I couldn't be happier with it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice story! I've owned Subarus for 30 years. The list is in my signature. I have never been in a situation where my Subaru didn't get me home. I do a lot of off roading when I hunt (I know Subaru owners are mostly granola heads and tree huggers ;)) and they ALWAYS get me out of what I get into. I've had four with over 200 k miles. I gave my 96 Outback to a co-worker when it had 178 k miles on it five years ago. I see it everyday when he drives it to work with well over 220 k on it. We have three now and as far as I'm concerned I will always own a Subaru.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's funny, the family I bought my first subaru from..at one point they owned each generation Subaru Outback until recently...I love doing road trips in my car, and I've done some off roading with my car as well...The dealer found about my off roading thanks to my friend telling them because he worked there...so they lectured me saying that the car isn't designed for off roading and I told them it's my car and I will drive it where I please. I only got stranded because there was a terrible wobble having to do with the replacement axle subaru used...so my car was towed to the dealer and repaired and ready to go the next day. Over the summer I lived on Cape Cod, and a few nights when it was humid out and my roommate would snore I would sleep in my Outback with my sleeping bag...Plus I did trips up to Acadia National Park to go camping and I even drove up into Canada just because I felt like it. I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere with my car. Just recently I've done 2 trips to Vermont with my friend and we always go in my car just because it fits all our camping gear, and ski equipment. My dad taught me to work on cars at a young age...when I was 14 I did my first complete engine/transmission swap and ever since then I've loved working on cars....So my car is never neglected, always changing my oil every 2500-3000 miles with synthetic oil, tranny drains and refills every 10k as well as doing the front and rear diffs too(I know it may be excessive but the transmission and diffs on a subaru are usually the most neglected things) I just did my spark plugs 3 weeks ago, plus all the small stuff too brakes and all that. My car has taken some damage over the past 4 years with scrapes and having an accident people swiping my bumper but still I love my car I feel bad I haven't washed it in 3 weeks so it's pretty muddy right now...I need to wash it this weekend

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Subaru Outback is an perfect family car if you need a strong but civilized city friendly vegan with perfect stability and the advantage of full-time all wheel generate. It’s greater than your regular car but not big enough to create it overwhelming to parking area.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, glad the OP is happy with his car. That makes a big difference.

That said, if I have the problems with my '07 that he has had with his '08, I would not be very happy ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ditto

Wow, glad the OP is happy with his car. That makes a big difference.

That said, if I have the problems with my '07 that he has had with his '08, I would not be very happy ...
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read his post. I have an 07 XT with about 70K miles and other than oil changes, regular maintenace and new brakes/rotors, all I do is drive and wash it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love my 08 outback, yeah other than regular maintenance and my headgaskets lol and synthetic oil changes every 3k all I do I rack on the miles on my Subaru

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
98SubaruOutback
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing