Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Lithuania - Poland (2days) - Slovakia (5days) - Hungary (1day)- Croatia (3days) - Austria (2days) - Czechia (1day) - Poland (2days) - Lithuania

so there it is my mega mega long waited dream trip to sea famous Slovakia Carpathians mountains and climb them , then to Croatia see beautiful Plitvice Lakes National Park, and stay couple days on Croatia on Adriatic Sea . then to Austria to Alps , drive via famous Grossglockner High Alpine Road. and then back home . all in all i made about 5400 km in 14 days trip. and ust 2 days slept in hotel room in Croatia . all other nights in the car. couldnt be more comfy really . just one thing . when weather its really hot then its just too hot be in car in morning.
no more mods just what i did before with car. and even went to all that long high speed driving without rear sway bar. could be much more stable car with it i presume. well but still was pleasure to drive car all those days.

those pics in croatia near Adriatic sea. it was smoking hot some 35 celcious and on sun it was more then 40 . was too hot be outide or even in sea. sea was too warm to cool you down really. so cars climate control was saviour there. cant imagine what i would do there without AC and climate control.

rear moments when i put car to some tests there. mainly it was good high speed roads. so those gravel mountains roads in croatia was like blessing . had so much fun. and car managed in that heat too

Adriatic sea in backround. drove some twisty road up to mountain , didint knew was it closed to cars or what , didint saw any signs any people too so just tested it . so narrow road it was and twisty . just amazing

where some old cheap 2001 subaru could take you

those tyres where just amazing everywhere

those kinda views just blows mind really

cockpit views

Austria Alps

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,793 Posts
Wonderful trip, glad you got to do that!

But if you call 35C "smoking hot," I invite you to visit me in Arizona...we had a few 48C days in June and we get 35C in November!

·
Registered
'17 OB Touring
106 Posts
Wow, looks like a great trip! Surprisingly hot, too. Same temps as here in south Texas. Thanks for sharing nice pictures.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonderful trip, glad you got to do that!

But if you call 35C "smoking hot," I invite you to visit me in Arizona...we had a few 48C days in June and we get 35C in November!
would be great to visit that hot place sure:) we here no have such hot even in middle summer so croatia was really hot for us. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,793 Posts
would be great to visit that hot place sure:) we here no have such hot even in middle summer so croatia was really hot for us. :smile2:
A tour of the Baltic in July or August should be awesome!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pics of my bed that 2 people were sleeping in for 12 nights. really comfy with foam stuff under and i wanted to feel like home not like camping so real bed stuff and not sleeping bags . we were sleeping mostly in those big petrol stations on highways were all truck drivers top to sleep and rest. so to be safe with lights and cameras there. just closing front windows with covers and rear ones are tinted so no need notin more.
im 186 cm and rear seats were left just folded down and i almost could fit stretched all way. with some modifications it could be even more comfy to sleep.

as for other car problems there was almost none , just car eats oil with some leakage so i was puyting about 1l oil to 1000 km . at end trip i was used 5l oil so yh that problem i will look now and try to fix

more look to Adriatic sea from mountain road .. those lights down by sea is were i was going and were i was sleeping night.

good sleeping spot and it was free. some other campers were staying there too

austrias "burning" alps

driving to alps

croatia again

one of the highest points were you can go with car in Alps. sign says its 2571m

same parking place

Austria's small villages near mountains were like views from dream

·
Registered
'17 OB Touring
106 Posts
That's a great vehicle for the trip. Looks like new, appears to be in good condition. How many kms since new? Why no sway bar?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a great vehicle for the trip. Looks like new, appears to be in good condition. How many kms since new? Why no sway bar?
yh it just looks that outside couse i do polish it and clean but it was badly taking care in years and its really rusty a lot under car specially in rear part. its passsed 300k not so long ago well before trip. no sway bar because earlier i wanted to have just some more flex so i took it off. then before trip i thought to put it back because lots highway driving but i kinda forgot and left it off. and really had no problems with high speeds and stability. tyres are not best for long trips too they not most economical either because so heavy and agresive, but they not too bad and not too loud either.
yes great vehicle for price i payed about 1500 euros just. tyres alone went another 550 euros . so really cheap and with VDC so better safer AWD system. couldnt find another car for that price and with VDC really. just person who sold it didint even knew about VDC.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it was fantastic and first one i did ever. and i would do it again even same trip . would make it better and more amazing now that i have experience and things that i need in car more. because i was sleeping and eating in car and outside . just 2 days was sleeping in hotel and eating in coffe. all other days and nights was eating what i had for first 5-6 days i had food still taken from home. later i started to buy some food from cheap market as Lidl. just buy some smoked meat , chicken , salat and wine and eat those in car or in some place were i could do it outside.
thats my foam bed and my 12v fridge. fridge was was working ok half time then later socket started to heat up and even started to melt. so last 4-5 days was without fridge .

then have couple folded chairs as those

and small folded plastic table. but was using those just one day in Austria. because most times i stoped and petrol stations or some parking spaces.
then i bought this for my morning coffe. and was using it really good every morning making coffe myself

its really small and had enough gas even from that small gas container

and those were all extra stuff i took with me . i didint cooked any food just made coffe in mornings, but then i wasn't camping anywhere outside were i could do that .
ohh and i had extra battery fully charged just in case i would need start car or any other stuff. couple times i used too much climate control and music and then couldnt start car so extra battery saved me.
what more i would need its some kinda way to use climate control in car but from extra battery maybe or some separate stuff just for keep cooler air in car or warmer if needed. because otherway its just too hot to be inside car when you wake up in morning and its hot sun outside cooking your cars windows and roof.
all other things were just great and im not picky man so really happy and i rested great every night in car.
ohh and some way to use fridge in night time when you no run car engine. would it be enough just to use fridge from extra battery. didint tested that but would be nice to have fridge working 24/7

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after trip and after some thinking what was not ok or what could be better i found some things like :

leather seats too hot in hot weather . they comfy and easy to clean and looks great but they become really hot under you like they would be turned on heating. would be nice to have seats with ventilation/cooling as newer models do have if i no mistaken.

bfg ta ko2 tyres are not best for long trips for doing good MPG or in my case km per liter . but there is big "but" in them. if you need to go somewere off road just anywere into forest into mountain, into small river or pass some mud ,sand, snow , etc. then they best out there that can be. still they not too loud on high speeds if you listen music. as i do all times there is no prob for me from tyre noise rly.

could be more power from engine. in austria alps mountains car was really going like it has no power at all . but thats maybe more about engine probs or p0420 problem with restricting engine to do better. still didint fixed that.
if i would towing some camper i cant imagine how weak car would be then . need to look into that problem soon i guess.

poor lights low beams and high. thats would be looked into as well. thinking of changing low bulbs to some philips x treme vision or osram night braker unlimited / laser . i have H7 on low .

other then that , well engine eats oil. that i knew and i was prepared . it took about 5 litres new oil in all trip so for over 5000km . means it was about 1l oil for 1000 km. thats not ok too. thou coolant was almost allways on level . thats weird because earlier i had coolant leaking too.

still all time i had just amazing experience for lifetime that i would never forget sure. same could be done with any wagon maybe and more comfy with better MPG , but to know that you have safety with AWD and you have capable car to climb mountain road or sand or mud thats gives you really special feeling with this car.

and it was enough space as it was. for 2 people with all clothes all food all needed stuff and small fridge. while driving all was on rear seats and trunk and when go sleep all stuff was packed to front seats. so yes you need to do that every night and then everymorning pack back but that was no prob at all.

plus i had all tools for car in case i need any. all keys for almost do anything rly. some spare bolts and things. some minimum recovery gear too, folded showel and axe . diff sizes plastic stripes is must .

maybe some roof box will come with time too for extra space.

there were peasant moments here and there when people just come to look at car tires , front bumper and lift. mostly tires i guess :) for me tires speaks mostly for car. you look at bfg ta ko2 and you know that its no joking around there . most even 4x4 cars with lift avoid those for long trips so they just driving on city tires for less noise and better mpg i guess. but i no want that .because any time i see some interesting turn from main road that might give me some adventure or take me to interesting places, i go for it . and then i no need to worry about my tires , i just go there.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,793 Posts
Yeah, leather, especially Subaru "leather," is good for nothing but looks and cleaning (especially if not perforated). I keep my offroad ARB sport seat cover on my seat all summer. The problem is that the cloth seats on the 2013 looked dreadful. Anyway, just find nice seat covers for the summer. The ARB is not nice at all, actually, but does the job and it takes seconds to put on since it does not pretend to replace the original seat cover.

As for the KO2s, I only use them for rocks. They are not great for sand at all (unless you expect lots of rocks/wood buried in the sand) and they are not necessary or in any way helpful on regular forest roads. On the contrary, they are an annoyance on forest roads because their high road pressures mean one needs to air down for any dirt roads--or suffer the consequences. This is one of many reasons mine are not full time tire. While they may be a little better in mud than most non-MTs, they are not an MT tire.

My GeoL ATS are on their last legs as DD. I will be choosing between Go15 and Continental AT to replace them. Both would be plenty good enough for sand/forest roads, leaving the KO2s only for designated 4x4 roads.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About ko2 maybe depends from size as wider tyre would perform differntly, but my 215/65 r16 are just supperbon sand . worst very loose sand were your feets gets sucked in is no problem for those tyres at all. And i didint even lower psi for forest never. Well i too never keep psi too high as well i like it just in middle. So you can say my tires allways kinda ready for forest. I duno notin yet stopped my car it stops when its not enough torque to go forward so thats to engine.
So i think wider tire really would perform not same on sand specially. I have sandy forest just near my home and i went there often and tried all places were i would thought i would get stuck and i never did rly.
This is really heavy tire and rly strong as it can be for non mt tire .
About sand again i tryed to dig me up down some and then its just undug itself after couple moves. More then happy . my new tyre would be same or newer if they would make newer model in future

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more mountains pics from trip as they are just amazing views from car

those two pics allready in about 2400 m above sea

..you driving into dream

1 - 15 of 15 Posts