Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the wife’s 20 XT touring was making an odd vibration at about 50 mph that you can feel in the steering and gas pedal. Took it to the dealer and they were sure it was tires so they put it in the air and got it up to 50. They could feel it in the lift and it sounds like it’s the transmission. Car only has 5500 miles on it and she drives like a grandma. The noise wasn’t there on our trip we took at 2000 miles. Just sucks.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT / Nappa brown interior
141 Posts
Oh crap that’s scary as my wife’s 2020 Touring XT has 275 miles on it and I dread the thought of needing a new tranny that soon.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,534 Posts
Following discussion. Can you post more information about the build date?

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Onyx
54 Posts
There are reports of problems with the HTCVT and the standard CVT across all platforms. Subaru extended the warranty on most models at least up to the 2018 model year a few years back.

I did have a seeping leak on my 2017 FXT at 27K that was repaired and never came back. I pushed SOA for an extended Gold Plus Plan and they offered a 7/100K $0. I started to notice an issue that I thought was TQ converter related and could never repeat it for the dealer. It was very intermittent but still there. That said....

I traded it at 75K miles on this OBXT. Subaru has shown me that they back their product and will step up and do good by the consumer. Anyone who has a major component failure this early should push for a Gold Plus Plan,. If you purchased the plan you should push for a refund . Really all you have to do is call SOA and open a case.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,534 Posts
I can't imagine a remanufactured one exists yet. I've heard Subaru has flown engineers in from Japan for CVT failures in the past to figure out what the heck happened to them. (This is why when the CVT was new in the 2010 Outback generations, they didn't repair anything because they wanted to figure out failures. Then, over time, they allowed repairs to the torque converters, valve body, etc. I think now the only thing they can't/aren't allowed to fix is the pulley and chain system itself or problems with the bell housing. There was a TechTIPS newsletter from a year or two ago warning about techs accidentally overtorquing the CVT drain plugs which required a full replacement of the CVT.)

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
21 Posts
There are reports of problems with the HTCVT and the standard CVT across all platforms. Subaru extended the warranty on most models at least up to the 2018 model year a few years back.

I did have a seeping leak on my 2017 FXT at 27K that was repaired and never came back. I pushed SOA for an extended Gold Plus Plan and they offered a 7/100K $0. I started to notice an issue that I thought was TQ converter related and could never repeat it for the dealer. It was very intermittent but still there. That said....

I traded it at 75K miles on this OBXT. Subaru has shown me that they back their product and will step up and do good by the consumer. Anyone who has a major component failure this early should push for a Gold Plus Plan,. If you purchased the plan you should push for a refund . Really all you have to do is call SOA and open a case.
Subaru did pay 1,000 on my valve body that died at 112k, Crosstrek 2014. Extended warranty to 100k. I paid 750. They didn't step up all the way

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: So we drove the car Saturday to pickup dinner, when I was parallel parking the car made a sound like I had run into the curb or something, however I opened the door and we where no where near it yet. Put it back in drive and moved forward and the noise started again then suddenly went away. We looked all around and under the car to see if it was a can or something but there was nothing so I have to assume it was the transmission. Weird, so at this point my wife is afraid to drive it and we dropped it off to the dealership today. They gave us a new Crosstrek for a loaner. They said Subaru was sending a new transmission and it would be here later this week.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I lost track, is this new transmission for an XT or a 2.5?
The first post says XT. I recall only one other thread from someone who bought a 2020 XT early on, and had some sort of CVT issue. I don’t remember exactly what the issue was, but Subaru replaced the transmission on a basically new vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
The first post says XT. I recall only one other thread from someone who bought a 2020 XT early on, and had some sort of CVT issue. I don’t remember exactly what the issue was, but Subaru replaced the transmission on a basically new vehicle.
Thanks, too late at night and I forgot XT in the first post.

Subaru replaced the transmission in our almost new 19. I was pretty stressed but they did a great job. Turned out the transmission wasn’t the cause of the problem, but that’s a whole other story that is gladly behind us, and now we’re even happier in our 20.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife is growing increasingly unsure of the Outback, should I push for a replacement car if that is even possible? I told her we have the SAS gold plus warranty already on it for 8 years 80k but at this point her trust in the car is shot.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts