Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
once you get the new transmission you'll still have a nice car with an extended warranty. And a functioning transmission. Any other issues with the car?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
372 Posts
My wife is growing increasingly unsure of the Outback, should I push for a replacement car if that is even possible? I told her we have the SAS gold plus warranty already on it for 8 years 80k but at this point her trust in the car is shot.
Depends on the lemon laws in your state and you'll need a lawyer most likely. But I think most states as long as the dealer is working with you on fixing the issue the lemon law doesn't kick in. I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Quite frankly, if they are putting in a new transmission it most likely will not fail unless there is something systemically wrong with the car. We are still at less than 4k due to covid-19 so I can't speak for the car. There have been some reports of transmission failure and I've only seen a handful. I know that doesn't help but I'd hold out and see if all goes well with the new transmission. Make sure you document everything if things go South. You will need every record related to the vehicle including maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
what was the issue out of curiosity?
The car wasn't happy on regular and intermittently retarded the ignition under load, which caused surging that felt like a transmission issue. When the new transmission performed exactly the same, we then learned that running premium solved the engine surge.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
My wife is growing increasingly unsure of the Outback, should I push for a replacement car if that is even possible? I told her we have the SAS gold plus warranty already on it for 8 years 80k but at this point her trust in the car is shot.
Having been through a similar process with Subaru, I understand your wife's apprehension. See how it does with the new transmission: if it's good, be happy, if it isn't, then you can explore other options. It's a machine, it would be nice if they were all perfect, but some aren't. If the people providing the support are taking care of you, that's what really counts.

Did Subaru pay for the 8/80? They have longer terms available, keep that in mind for a future conversation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Having been through a similar process with Subaru, I understand your wife's apprehension. See how it does with the new transmission: if it's good, be happy, if it isn't, then you can explore other options. It's a machine, it would be nice if they were all perfect, but some aren't. If the people providing the support are taking care of you, that's what really counts.

Did Subaru pay for the 8/80? They have longer terms available, keep that in mind for a future conversation.
no I bought it (ironically enough because I was worried about the CVT) with the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So to update after three weeks waiting for a transmission they put it in and all seemed fine. Fast forward a month (400 miles more) and it’s noisy again, but a bit different sound. Took it in and the new transmission now has bad front differential bearings. I don’t know what to do now. My wife doesn’t want to drive the car anymore. Going to call Subaru and see what they say.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
21 Posts
Lawyer up. Make sure you consult with a lawyer in your state. The bad tranny will stay on the record
of the car so be sure to get as much as possible from Subaru.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Man I hope I don’t have to go that route but we are more than half (probably 2/3rds) the way to my states lemon law, time down wise. The dealer service guys have been great to work with and done their best but we are starting to feel frustrated. Maybe they will let us order a 2021 and just drive my daughters Impreza till then. That would be nice. Wishful thinking.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
21 Posts
Just talking to a lawyer (1st time) is free. Make sure your rights are protected, you only get one chance.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
498 Posts
Man I hope I don’t have to go that route but we are more than half (probably 2/3rds) the way to my states lemon law, time down wise. The dealer service guys have been great to work with and done their best but we are starting to feel frustrated. Maybe they will let us order a 2021 and just drive my daughters Impreza till then. That would be nice. Wishful thinking.
Subaru customer care is excellent to deal with based on my past experiences and they are usually eager to make things right. They just tend to be very slow to respond due to how busy they are (2 days to a week for a response). When they do respond, they are awesome and have made me a lifelong Subaru customer.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
533 Posts
Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,991 Posts
UPDATE: ...I was parallel parking the car made a sound like I had run into the curb or something, however I opened the door and we where no where near it yet...
What sort of sound would that be? My Outback has never met a curb it didn't just silently hop (when given sufficient gas, of course ;)).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What sort of sound would that be? My Outback has never met a curb it didn't just silently hop (when given sufficient gas, of course ;)).
It wasn’t the curb it sounded like running over a pop can. That was on the fist transmission after they had acknowledged the issue but before we took it back to them for the repair.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
It's bizarre that the CVT fluid would be brown with debris - what's brown in the transmission? I can see it being sparkly with metal but brown?? The CVT fluid is clear/amber. CVT has a temperature sensor that should have gone off if the fluid were overheating so much that it were cooking/burning. I'm sure Japan will want to examine this transmission.

Horror stories like this are sickening to hear, but as a fellow Subie CVT owner I'm reassured that this isn't a typical or widespread occurrence. The 2019 Ascent guys are getting letters now extending their CVT warranty to 10/100 due to a recall that didn't apply to our transmissions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
the browness (is that a word) is probably from the initial amber color darkened by debris from the bearings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
since we got the new transmission there have been no lights or anything, and we haven't driven more than a few miles at a time (the farthest nonstop was to a lake in a town 15 miles away and that was in a parking lot, we've never been off road at all nor towed anything) I would be willing to bet my wife has never even floored it. She's a very conservative driver.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
725 Posts
So to update after three weeks waiting for a transmission they put it in and all seemed fine. Fast forward a month (400 miles more) and it’s noisy again, but a bit different sound. Took it in and the new transmission now has bad front differential bearings. I don’t know what to do now. My wife doesn’t want to drive the car anymore. Going to call Subaru and see what they say.
You seem to be very unlucky with this car. While some would say lawyer up, others including me would say continue working with SOA. As a minimum I would expect them to refund what you paid for the 8/80 and give you an even longer extended warranty. At the most I would gently push for a different car, perhaps a 21 by the time this is all said and done. Some of the other comments in this thread echo my experience in that the support of SOA is what has kept us in a Subaru despite some frustrations along the way.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts