Subaru Outback Forums banner

5500 miles new transmission :(

9K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  rfuree11 
#1 ·
Well the wife’s 20 XT touring was making an odd vibration at about 50 mph that you can feel in the steering and gas pedal. Took it to the dealer and they were sure it was tires so they put it in the air and got it up to 50. They could feel it in the lift and it sounds like it’s the transmission. Car only has 5500 miles on it and she drives like a grandma. The noise wasn’t there on our trip we took at 2000 miles. Just sucks.

#50 ·
... every vehicle is an accumulation of tolerances...
This is SO true and the responsibility for minimizing this is with the designers and using proper tolerancing. The housing sections are dowels to each other and are critically located to the bearing bores. I still think back to the comment about the fluid becoming brown and wonder if there is a CVT pump issue or a passage being blocked causing overheating. Also wonder if the "debris" in the bit of fluid was seen/inspected or just assumed.

This will be interesting in the end. I hope we find out what the real cause of this was and not just that it is "now fixed".

#55 ·
Hopefully they make this right and since this is a new launch, i would think at this point... they will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.