Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
08 Outback LL Bean H6 - 236,000 miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have a 2008 Subaru Outback 3.0 Bean with a bad Turbine Speed Sensor 2. It is going to be relatively expensive to replace the valve body (around $800), and I don't even know what it'll cost to get a new transmission. I have been searching for a used replacement transmission since my car has 238k miles and I figure it'll go eventually, but it has been very hard to find a 3.0 transmission. Do the 2.5i and 2.5xt versions of the 2008 Outback use the same exact 5eat, and would I be able to buy one of those for my car instead? I guess basically what I am asking is if they are compatible and if anyone else has done this. Thank you all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not willing to use a hall effect sensor to fix this since it is not OEM or anything close, and I have had no success yet in contacting someone who can sell me the individual sensor. Basically, the only option apparent to me is replacing the valve body with a new one or replacing the transmission.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
425 Posts
Subaru's own parts lookup shows 3 distinct numbers for the 08-09 5EAT unit for 1) Legacy turbo, 2) Outback turbo, and 3) Outback and Legacy H6. So if you're contemplating a drop-in replacement you'll want to look for only H6 Outback or Legacy from 08-09 as the donor.
The transmissions are largely the same, but I think you'll find threads on here about needing to swap & retain your final drive, or something like that, if you needed to put a 5EAT from a turbo into your H6. Consistent with the transmissions being so similar, a new valve body is listed as compatible with any 08-09 5EAT, even Tribeca.
This info is just based on poking around parts.subaru.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everybody! I just wanted to update in case someone else has this issue and runs into this post. What I ended up doing was I called Linesoon's offices in Japan, and asked them if they could sell me a turbine speed sensor. They said that while they couldn't sell me one directly, if I emailed their sales team at [email protected] they would see what they could do. I emailed them and told them I was an individual looking for the sensor, and I gave them the part number. About a week later, someone replied with a link to an Ebay listing for the sensors that they had just posted. It was 60 dollars, and all I had to do was remove the Valve Body, cut the old sensor off, and butt-splice the new sensor on. That was in August, and so far I have not had any issues since. I hope this helps other people with this issue!

·
Registered
19,022 Posts
About a week later, someone replied with a link to an Ebay listing for the sensors that they had just posted.
Thanks for the update.

There's a some listed on eBay right now, a few from overseas but also from the U.S.A. I guess the supply chain has opened up for this part which is not otherwise available from Subaru. Good find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone,
I recently went through this frustration with my granddaughter's 2008 Legacy GT. I paid over $200 to get a sensor overnight out of Canada.
As a result of that experience I decided to make the sensor available here in the US at reasonable price. You can get it with or without the filter. I'm new here so I can't post links so you'll have to search the Ebay items manually.
With filter. Item # 133239156024
Without filter. Item# 133200929693

·
Registered
11 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts