Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 outback 3.6R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 3.6R with the 5EAT, I've just started to notice a rattle on deceleration, most noticeable from about 60km/h to 20.
Put on the hoist and with wheels off the ground, noise is still VERY present with no road noise.
Used the chassis ears and verified no wheel bearings or axle noises.

It seams to be coming from the back transfer case housing. I've never opened one up before, and I'm wondering if ANYONE has had this and what they have done to fix it. I did find a TSB on transfer case driven shaft bearing update, and it happens after a certain production number, but I dont know exactly where that is. TSB shows a 6 digit number, and I did find an 8 digit number on the bottom of the bell housing, not sure if that is it....

I'm getting ready to pull the pan soon and inspect for any debris, does subaru put a magnet in there pan?

Some questions sound dumb, but im a Mercedes-Benz tech so I'm not to used to Japanese cars!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,092 Posts
What is the vehicle's current mileage reading? Has the ATF ever been refreshed and if so, with what ATF?

·
Registered
2013 outback 3.6R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's at 168 000k. And I flushed it with 12L of Idemitsu ATF TYPE-HP at 130 000km.
It sounds like a baseball card on bicycle spokes. When the bearings fail in the transfer case of a W204 Mercedes, it a loud howl, but this doesn't sound like that, so im wondering if something different is going on...

·
Registered
2013 outback 3.6R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I chased the noise down to the rear of the trans in the transfer case area. Almost sounds like it's more drive shaft speed related... im going to check the front u joint closer tonight, but it donsent normally sound like that when they fail.

It's very light under load, but when off throttle, it is very apparent. I'll try to make a video tonight too

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,419 Posts
U-joint?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,851 Posts
No, I chased the noise down to the rear of the trans in the transfer case area. Almost sounds like it's more drive shaft speed related... im going to check the front u joint closer tonight, but it donsent normally sound like that when they fail.

It's very light under load, but when off throttle, it is very apparent. I'll try to make a video tonight too
there is no transfer case on a Subaru e5at there is a front differential that is integrated into the front of the transmission but separate (has it's own fluid) and the center clutch is part of the transmission it's self.

You need to put the car on a lift, put it in drive and go around until you pinpoint where the noise is.. it could be a u joint carrier bearing, etc...

·
Registered
2013 outback 3.6R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is no transfer case on a Subaru e5at there is a front differential that is integrated into the front of the transmission but separate (has it's own fluid) and the center clutch is part of the transmission it's self.

You need to put the car on a lift, put it in drive and go around until you pinpoint where the noise is.. it could be a u joint carrier bearing, etc...
Already did that, and by "transfer case" I am referring to the extension housing on the rear with the planetary, transfer clutch and reduction gear that drives the front pinion.

I know it's not a full on transfer case like a pickup truck, but for sake of clarity, im calling it a transfer case

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Here is a video of someone swapping the multi-plate clutch version with a VTD (variable torque distribution) unit... this in on a 4 speed automatic, but the VTD he is installing is similar to the VTD on the 5 speed auto.

It’ll give you an idea of that’s in there... maybe narrow down the area of the housing where the noise is loudest.

·
Registered
2013 outback 3.6R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The TSB applies to manual transmissions only, so the numbering is going to be different.
AHHHHHHH, I just noticed that when I looked at it again this morning. I just saw updated bearing part numbers and got super excited lol

That video is interesting, looks like the driven shaft has a nut to hold the gear on, but the 5EAT just soty of lets it float between bearings and shims as per the parts diagram.
More reasurch required...

I've tried searching for the same thing in so many other places, but I can't possibly be the only one with this issue? Am I??

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
yes - in the intermediate case on the 5EAT the bearing for the reduction gear sits in there and shims are used to adjust end play where the extension case bolts on.

There's a parking pawl with a spring, and a parking brake actuator near the reduction gear. That could make noise if something is loose or broken, like the return spring for the parking pawl....

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,191 Posts
There's actually a recall campaign applicable to the 5EAT parking pawl mechanism, but it does not apply specifically to 2013 Outback. It says to replace the transmission, so still no help with how to fix, but shouldn't be way too hard.
TSB

·
Registered
2013 outback 3.6R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm maybe it is park pawl!!!?!
Sound is definitely coming from the rear bearing area of the driven shaft.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,851 Posts
hard to tell as the sound is coming from the LEFT of the unit and you can hear a clunk from the middle/right towards the end

·
Registered
2013 outback 3.6R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Using a stethoscope I have determined it is loudest from the rear cover, where the bearing sits in the housing.

I have bearings on the way, should be here next week, then next weekend I will be changing them and inspecting the rest. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2013 outback 3.6R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well friends, it's a sad day...

So, sadly I'm putting it back together for now, and will be ordering parts....

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,092 Posts
Ouch....

Good luck with the rebuild. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Reactions: 88formula
1 - 20 of 22 Posts