Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who may have missed this in the Gen 3 forum, which is very applicable to you, please review the following link for your information. If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected]

The link below talks about the 5EAT in general, changing it operations allow for better drive-ability and versatility.

I was asked to look at the 5EAT closely (give it a little more XRT love :) ) and following results were attained in the link below.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/282706-5eat-videos-shifting.html

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited / 2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring Edition AWD
185 Posts
I know physical mods done to the car void the warranty on that specific part (or others, if the aftermarket part caused the failure). Just wondering if this would void my warranty if the dealer noted the updated programming somehow.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
You've seen all those stories about how modern cars have no form of electronic security- well, here's one more way.

It's fairly difficult to tell whether a given car is running stock code or a modified tune.

It's easy to dump what's in there and compare it to a trusted master... But where do you get those?

Even if the dealer suspected the car wasn't running a stock tune, they probably wouldn't have the resources to work out what it was doing- they would just flash it with a stock file and scratch their heads a bit.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,074 Posts
I suspect, if your car doesn't have other physical, clues...there would be no cause for anyone to suspect anyting. Also, we are talking about the 5EAT, if you have 3.6R, you are not going to kill it. It is plenty strong for that powerplant. XRT is just making it respond better.

As many have said, flash back the stock ROM and it is a not issue,

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited / 2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring Edition AWD
185 Posts
Thanks! I'll give a tune some thought. I love my car, but it could definitely shift better.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited, 5spd Auto
5 Posts
I have a 2013 3.6R Limited, it's my first automatic in almost 20 years. I love the car but not so much the transmission. I Lots of power from the engine but when combined with the lag from the drive-by-wire throttle and the hard shifting trans (under load) it's been making me miss my stick shift. I've been reading about ECU programming and was curious when I saw this thread. After some additional research and reading the testimonials about Edward at XtremeRaceTuning.com I decided to take the plunge and reflash my ECU.

I must say Edward is a professional and a pleasure to work with. We're currently on version 3 of the ECU ROM and I'm very happy with the results. The throttle lag is gone and the car feels much stronger throughout the RPM range. When applying medium pressure to the throttle from around 1500 RPM the transmission downshifts smoothly and holds the gear much more predictably. Also when applying full throttle at highway speeds (5th gear) the downshift is now less violent. In tuning the engine timing to get the most performance out of the stock engine it's been necessary to switch to 91 octane but that's a small price to be for all the extra fun I'm getting out of the car.

ECU tuning isn't for everyone, it's not a 15 minute process and requires some dedication to the testing process to get the settings just right. But Edward is patient and experienced with Subarus and in my opinion definitely someone you want to work with if you're going to do this.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks and I will add this to my 3.6 and 5EAT feedback threads.

Here is one of my customer is Cali going from low elevation to high elevation (4000ft) on curvy roads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsMiDRhcAk

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
546 Posts
I have a 2006 OBS LLBean 3.0 H6. I think it's the same 5EAT trans. Do I have some options? No mods other than deleting the single muffler/resonator, adding louder twin mufflers out back (pun intended)! I've been in love w/ the car since I got it in 06, but at the same time HATING the drive by wire lag and soft, lame shifts, once its warmed up. When it's cold, it shifts firmer. Why? I dont know! I've checked this forum and re-read many threads on tuning options for our H6's, and now finally have some glimmer of hope!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello:

You can have just the dbw basic, dbw 5EAT and full race dbw 5EAT. Its better to have the engine tuned. The ecu tune ($300usd) comes withe the dbw basic, which affects the 5EAT too. Email me for more info.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
I don't have any videos so, I am posting here. Frank has been relatively solid and trustworthy for the last few hundred miles...that's a big deal for Frank (and that is all on me). I have finally been able to live with the new 5EAT race programming, I think Ed called it.

It is nearly faultless. Meaning I have to try to fault it. The gears now hold into a much higher rpm...If I keep the throttle even/constant...like to redline...if I want. Or, I can modulate the pedal to do what I want...smoothly upshift. Gone is the clunks and slams...that used to happen when it got a bit confused.

And this is in comparison to the previous tune...which was already, XRT modified and way better than stock.

I would challenge any 3rd pedal rower to do as aggressive, efficient and smooth clutch operation...as what I have in the XRT 5EAT.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More 5EAT Stage 3 (AKA 5EAT-DBW Full Race) Shifting & Operations Feedback

Xtreme Racing Tuning ? View topic - ChrisKu - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning
hey ed, did another driving log late tonight when no one was on the road...just a driving log in sport sharp...felt great! idle is very smooth again..i did a short idle session in the beginning of log holding at 1000, 1250, 1500, 2000rpms...
then i took her up a couple grades and thru a windy road section n back out onto the hwy from a stand still, then at the end of log theres a big downshift in auto up the bigger hill climb into my town...it downshifted from 55mph in 5th all the way to 2nd gear n redlined thru 3rd...
was very smooth on throttle when steay crusing too...it did a wonderful thing too as i was getting into my neigborhood, i was creepin in 2nd gear very slow n theres a tiny hill u climb n pull into my driveway...holding the throttle steady in 2nd, whithout any throttle change, it downshifted into 1st by itself! it was awsome! it did one other time when i was crusing thru town in 4th steady on throttle n then it downshifted into 3rd without me pushing on pedal! it was cool...it was almost reading my mind/driving style if it were manual....crazy...
overall felt great, no complaints so far on vprmV27...pulls hard in 2nd!! n all other gears too...lol...

·
Master Caster
16,074 Posts
So I have been working on Frank all day...getting ready for the last cruise of the year...until Spring. I needed a break. What is better than right foot fun. My XRT tuned 5EAT is such a pleasure. That d*mn slushbox knows...exactly what I want...by my right foot. And I am not just talking about aggressive power. It is even better with the subtle lift and gear drop....But once up to operating tremps...she is butter smooth....

Remember...I have an external tranny cooler...operating temps...that is key. Asking any machine to operate out of spec...is just silly.

I just left her in AutoSport for 20 minutes...and took a year back (off my life) from father time. I felt like a super hero.

Thanks Ed / XRT

1 - 20 of 47 Posts