Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing a high pitched whine as I accelerate through the lower gears - it definitely corresponds with the rpms.

Seems to disappear at 4th gear.

I recently changed all the filters and fluids, replacing with factory recommended brands.

I did read some info that makes me think it could be coming from the front transfer case, but that's only a guess?

I don't notice any problems with the operation but I'm wondering what I should be looking at to prevent any future damage?

All fluid levels are correct.

This being my first Subaru, I'm still learning what's normal and what's not!

05 OB R LL Bean
3.0 H-6
5EAT trans.

As always, any help is appreciated!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Did you do the rear diff as well? The drive-line can be tricky to diagnose sometimes.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do the rear diff as well? The drive-line can be tricky to diagnose sometimes.
Yes, I've got a new driveshaft ($480) and newer differential. Both were replaced and performed fine before the whine showed up.

BTW, no grindings on any of the drain plugs or filters and the fluids looked clean.

Rear wheel bearings are new. I've been all over this car and even swapped the engine out for a JDM lately.

I'm fairly certain the front wheel bearings are good too. I always check when I've got it up on stands for any wiggle.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts
....definitely corresponds with the rpms.

Seems to disappear at 4th gear.
These two statements seem to be contradictory.

Is it the pitch of the whine the same fixed pitch at a given engine rpm regardless of gear selected, or does it differ depending upon the gear selected? It could be that 4th-5th gears just don't get you to a high enough in rpm to demonstrate the problem at the speeds you're driving.

Answer ought to better localize where to start looking for the problem.

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,204 Posts
Temperatures have been dropping recently--sure it's not the power steering pump? Mine whines like a supercharger when it's cold.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
If it wasn't doing this before ,seems reasonable it happened due to the maintenance just performed so,forgive me if I'm asking questions which are too basic but;

did correct fluids get put in the correct places?

did you check trans fluid while idling? (it's the only one you check idling)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These two statements seem to be contradictory.

Is it the pitch of the whine the same fixed pitch at a given engine rpm regardless of gear selected, or does it differ depending upon the gear selected? It could be that 4th-5th gears just don't get you to a high enough in rpm to demonstrate the problem at the speeds you're driving.

Answer ought to better localize where to start looking for the problem.
The whine corresponds with the engine rpms but only when transmission is engaged. The whine increases as the rpms do and falls off when the transmission shifts to the next higher gear - this repeats until you reach 4th the noise seems to disappear.

That's the best I can explain without making a recording......

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it wasn't doing this before ,seems reasonable it happened due to the maintenance just performed so,forgive me if I'm asking questions which are too basic but;

did correct fluids get put in the correct places?

did you check trans fluid while idling? (it's the only one you check idling)
Yes. Everything in it's respective hole! And, I did use the Subaru HP ATF.

I agree with you that it came about as a result of all the maintenance. It wasn't making this sound prior to the engine change. However, I'm confident the mechanics performed on the change were correct. Both me and my friend are seasoned mechanics who've been doing this stuff since the early 70's.

Well, I'm pretty confident - beer was involved a couple evenings!!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Temperatures have been dropping recently--sure it's not the power steering pump? Mine whines like a supercharger when it's cold.
Yes, I'm hearing some rattling from mine too when idling, but this noise is only when the transmission is engaged and the engine is under power.

As for the PS, I think I'll try replacing the O-ring on the suction side and doing a fluid change before it gets really cold here....but that's another thread!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually your explanation clarifies it well - it's not got anything to do with engine rotation; it's elsewhere down the drivetrain.
I think I'll take it for a drive where we have a really big hill and while coasting, go into sport mode and shift manually to see if the whine is there or not?

I agree, I don't think it's anythnig to do with the motor. However, the motor revving up does cause the noise to appear in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,156 Posts
I agree, I don't think it's anythnig to do with the motor. However, the motor revving up does cause the noise to appear in the drivetrain.
Let's define cause and effect here - the cause is something in the drivetrain yet to be determined. The effect is that it happens in the first three gears, and only at some minimum rotation rate of some part in the drivetrain. And while the latter is, of course, correlated to engine rpm, the engine probably has nothing to do with it, it's just the way the things are connected.

When you test it, give it a moment in neutral (carefully, of course) so as to cause your engine rpm to drop to idle. It probably will stop whining, which we expect (it's not in gear). But if it doesn't, it's very useful information as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts