Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my input shaft bearing is going bad on my 1999 OBW. I know that as long as I get the rear diff out of the donor, I can use pretty much any 5mt from gen 1 (please verify). If the donor is another OBW, I should be able to retain my rear diff (please verify). So when looking for a used 5MT, If I am buying it out of the car already, what is a good way to tell if it is good? I don't want to put another bad tranny right back into the car. I also plan on replacing EVERYTHING from the clutch to any bearing in between. SO what are somethings I should replace that I might not know I should replace? While I am in there, I was thinking of doing some upgrades too. I was definitely thinking of a light weight flywheel. What else can I do? I am planning on picture documenting the entire process and posting them on here in hopes of helping other people. please please please post something on here. I have to do this project with or without your help. But with your help, this task will be infinitely easier. So if there is anything I should know about, any tips tricks, things to look out for, please give me a heads up!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a replacement trans right out of another 99 OBW. Its at a pick n pull and has 130,000 miles. It is only $130 so I think I should take my chances. Anything any body has to say on the matter please say soon because I may go pull it tomorrow

1 - 2 of 2 Posts