Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question but is OEM Subaru CVT fluid red like regular ATF fluid? Going to be checking all my fluids next weekend and just want to know what it normally is so that I can determine the condition of my fluid as it currently stands at 50k. Thanks!

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Subaru CVT fluid gets a green dye. It darkens with use roughly the same way classic pink ATF does.

The computer has its own fluid condition estimator- it watches realtime loads and temperatures and counts off appropriately. There are threads about accessing the data.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
889 Posts
Why does it matter? It will be changed out at 100,000 miles when the transmission needs to be replaced.:wink2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Subaru CVT fluid gets a green dye. It darkens with use roughly the same way classic pink ATF does.

The computer has its own fluid condition estimator- it watches realtime loads and temperatures and counts off appropriately. There are threads about accessing the data.
Awesome! Thanks man! I'll check out those threads, didn't know that.

Why does it matter? It will be changed out at 100,000 miles when the transmission needs to be replaced.

Don't tempt me! Would be a good excuse to swap in a 5 speed lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts