Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted here for a while as I purchased 2011 STi last year instead of 2013 outback 2.5i touring package with 6 speed manual. Figured kids were small enough to fit and big Thule roof box helped with the extra stuff, at stage 2 this awd pocket rocket still amazes, but it's time to think again about the more family friendly outback, especially when it looks that much better then Gen 4 IMHO (evolutionary design)....and according to Subaru Canada Facebook page, the 6 speed manual is confirmed for Canada!!! I will report back once we get them here in Calgary, AB, hopefully, I can test drive the CVT and the manual back to back. Now, for the friends south of the border the subies here are bit more expensive, but with recent weaker canadian dollar trend, you might just balance out, plus we have more equipment available here with the manual, at least that was the case with Gen 4. So, manual junkies rejoice! :))

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
That would be an expensive purchase.

If I have it right, an American buying a Subaru in Canada would face the following challenges:

• Getting a letter from Subaru of Canada listing the VIN of the car to be imported and explaining that this particular car met all current USA safety & emissions regulations

• Getting temporary province registration & insurance to drive the car to the border

• Paying GST on the purchase price of the car (5% to be paid with the purchase of the car)

• Claiming a GST refund upon crossing the border (the same 5% but it might take a while for the refund check to clear)

• Paying import duty to the United States: You get a deduction of $400. Then you pay 10% on the 1st $1000 of the value. Then you pay 2.5% of the remaining balance if the car was actually built as a car. You pay 25% if it was a truck. Be careful- some Outbacks are legally cars and some are legally trucks.

• Take all your paperwork to the state DMV, pay your state tax, get USA insurance, get whatever inspection or smog work your state requires, and get your plate.

• Realize that your warranty is with Subaru of Canada, and you may have to do a pay-and-be-reimbursed scheme in order to use USA dealers for warranty work.

Also make sure you have time for all of this. This system is only available to the buyer. You must enter Canada for the purpose of buying the car and drive it back over the border yourself. Can't use any shipping companies.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
and...like everything else, there are "loopholes" how to bring the car here from Canada...

You could also bring it here on a TIB Customs entry, drive it here for a couple of years (extending TIB annually) then take it back to Canada and sell it there.... LOL.. piece of cake for any licensed CHB...who can do it for you!

This requires to buy it there, pay sales tax in Canada and put it on Canadian license plates...yours or your friend's, who lives there....

Some people go to extremes, when it comes to their "toys"...LOL

·
Registered
'06 Leg SE sdn in ABP/'06 Honda Pilot EXL 4WD
15 Posts
All North American Outback and Legacy models (plus some Impreza models in the future) are made at SIA in Lafayette, Indiana.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All North American Outback and Legacy models (plus some Impreza models in the future) are made at SIA in Lafayette, Indiana.

And besides adding 6 speed to canadian spec model, the packaging is slightly different as well, Canada gets the touring trim which is a mix of limited and premium trims down in the US.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Prem., Manual & 2012 2.5i Limited, CVT
256 Posts
RUSO!

That was going to be my EXACT comment (above). You beat me to it! For the Diesel and the Manual!!!!

FLAGG

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Prem., Manual & 2012 2.5i Limited, CVT
256 Posts
Interesting thing is that if the Manual is ACTUALLY made in Indiana, why would they lose 7-10% of their Outback Customers by not selling it in the USA???

Some of the other posts talked something about required fuel Economy in the USA and the CVT getting better gas mileage. Some C.A.F.E. thing……..

I also do not believe that.

We have (2) 2012 Outbacks - Mine in Manual, my wife has the CVT. They both have almost the same mileage (20k, and 24k). I have done the same drive to my parents and back, (about 70 miles total) in both cars several times (based on who's car we take for a family day - and my wife often has me drive her's so she can attend to the kids). We have even taken each different car to the beach, via the same route (about 135 miles).

I would LOVE to know how they obtain the mileage difference on both cars, and how they drive the manual. It is EASY to drive the Manual Outback more aggressively, because it is SO MUCH MORE FUN to drive!!!!! Hence the mileage is down……..

BUT, In my experience I can get about the same mileage in each car, when I drive them both really conservatively. I think I can perhaps do a hair better in the Manual, if I concentrate on getting into 6th quickly on the highway, and keeping it there…….

FLAGG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FLAGG,

Interesting observations, thank you for sharing. I thought that was the case. There is just no way a manual would loose 5mpg in the city over the CVT according to EPA for gen 4, may be during braking period as the worst case scenario. Actually, to support your argument, according to fuelly.com people are reporting better or as good mileage on their manuals as in CVTs for gen 4s.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 2.5 Premium 2006 Legacy Ltd
62 Posts
we need to email subaru north america and tell them we want the manual gearbox and no roof rails

1 - 20 of 25 Posts