Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts
And besides adding 6 speed to canadian spec model, the packaging is slightly different as well, Canada gets the touring trim which is a mix of limited and premium trims down in the US.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Every OB base trim sold in Canada includes heated seats, 17" alu mag wheels, fogs. Premium trim includes moon roof and windshield de-icer, CVT only. Leather seats are limited options. There's no limited without moon roof or 6 sp manual.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited - waiting on 2020 Onyx XT
871 Posts
Some of the other posts talked something about required fuel Economy in the USA and the CVT getting better gas mileage. Some C.A.F.E. thing……..

I also do not believe that.

We have (2) 2012 Outbacks - Mine in Manual, my wife has the CVT. They both have almost the same mileage (20k, and 24k)....
FLAGG
First, that's not a tiny difference. That's approaching a 20% difference. FWIW, Subaru had to increase it's CAFE mileage by 36.2% for passenger cars, and 16.8% for "light trucks" (which Forester and Outback belong to), between 2012 and 2016. Beyond that, you obviously do not understand CAFE, and the game being played here.

1. The mpg requirements are for the maker's whole fleet, based on number of each you sale. i.e. Outback doesn't have to reach a certain bar. Subaru does. As Outback and Forester represent the bulk of the U.S. sales, slight increases in the gas mileage of those helps Subaru more than a major increase in mileage on a lesser selling model.

2. The mpg requirements are based on the "footprint" of the car. i.e. it is in the maker's best interests to actually grow that footprint without adding weight or sacrificing fuel economy. Hence you see all new models stretching and widening a little, while weight does not increase. It lowers the bar for them.

3. You get extra "points" (i.e. a lowered bar) for using technologies deemed efficient, but which actually don't move the gauge that much. Examples are CVT's and active grill shutters. They may only increase the mileage by 1 or 2 mpg, or not even, but they also lower the bar by 3 or 4 mpg, because apparantly Uncle Sam wants makers to put these on cars. You get even more extra credit by offering hybrids, electric plugs, solar panels, and the like. Don't even have to hook em up to much. Throw on a solar panel and let it power the moonroof motor or something, and ta-da, according to CAFE you lowered your required mpg by 3!!! Nevermind that most users will rarely use that motor!

This is also why you'll see hybrids on full sized vehicles, even if doesn't really help much with mpg. According to CAFE, it lowers the CAFE target on a Silverado just as much as it does on a Prius, despite that the Silverado will garner only a 1% improvement while the Prius gets a 30 or 40% improvement for the same cost premium.

4. CAFE mpg estimates and EPA estimates are not the same. CAFE are single numbers and generally considerably higher than EPA's average rating, and do not represent "real world". Generally, the CAFE rating is close to, often above the highway rating on EPA. i.e. you and I may be getting 24-25 on our CVT's, and be able to get 22 or 23 on a manual. And the EPA says we're not unusual, but according to CAFE our cars get in the low 30's and have to get about 30 for Subaru to hit it's mark. The manual gets in the mid 20's and has to get in the mid 30's for Subaru to hit it's mark.

Welcome to the wonderful world of government regulation.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
3. You get extra "points" (i.e. a lowered bar) for using technologies deemed efficient, but which actually don't move the gauge that much. Examples are CVT's and active grill shutters. They may only increase the mileage by 1 or 2 mpg, or not even, but they also lower the bar by 3 or 4 mpg, because apparantly Uncle Sam wants makers to put these on cars. You get even more extra credit by offering hybrids, electric plugs, solar panels, and the like. Don't even have to hook em up to much. Throw on a solar panel and let it power the moonroof motor or something, and ta-da, according to CAFE you lowered your required mpg by 3!!! Nevermind that most users will rarely use that motor!
This is the one that drives me nuts.

GM is enjoying extra credit on the Cadillac ATS because they've used a new refrigerant in the air conditioner. A new refrigerant that seems to genuinely be less damaging to the ozone layer. Unfortunately, it's also toxic, flammable and corrosive, and requires a $10k machine to inject or remove from a car.

I admit, I'm mostly troubled by the fact that this stuff started counting as a CAFE crutch right about the same time the patent protection ran out on R-134a manufacturing...

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Prem., Manual & 2012 2.5i Limited, CVT
256 Posts
Pcray - THANKS for the awesome write up!

That explains a lot. And makes me even madder :)

Thanks for taking the time to educate…………..FLAGG

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Touring
312 Posts
and one more thing, just checked with ppl in Subaru Canada.

3.6 Touring comes with aluminum finish. (love it)
3.6 Limited comes with woodgrain-pattern trim. (big no no)

Thank God, I live in Canada...weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts