Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Touring
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My leased Outback will be 6 months old on March 30th. The car has 3,888 miles on it.

I got a notification to being the car in for 6000 mile oil change. Does anyone think I need to do this or wait until the car hits 6000 miles.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
I had about 4k at 6 months but did the service. Subaru wants every 6k or 6 months which ever comes first to be covered by warranty. Read the manual if you are unsure.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
I have 2,100 miles on my '18 Outback and will reach 6 months soon. I will change the oil/filter only because I don't want to get crosswise with the warranty.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,340 Posts
My wife's XV (Crosstrek) is 15 months old and is getting close to the 12500km service. I was not letting them drop the fluids for the sake of it. Subaru Australia has now changed the service interval to 12 months or 12500km. I don't think they use some new magic oil now that it has gone out to 12 months so I am happy to save the money on unwarranted servicing.

·
Registered
Two 2011 Outback 2.5i(base & Premium), one 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium, one 2016 2.5i Premium
127 Posts
Warranty denial for oil related failure sure but that’s on Subaru to prove. Like one in a million you need a warranty claim that’s oil related. Don’t sweat it. Chang it at 6000 and go live your life.
While I am not providing legal advice here, this is one of the few times I will strongly disagree with you. The warranty is a contract and is interpreted as such, subject to some restrictions imposed by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The most often cited provision, which I believe is being reference incorrectly here, is the prohibition on "Tie-in Sales" provisions. Such provisions are what prohibit a warranty being conditioned on using a particular brand (ie OEM) product or a particular service shop (ie dealer only). While the act prohibits a warranty from including such a "tie-in" provision, the warranty may still exclude coverage for replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for the particular product. If the warranty contract requires an oil change every 6000 miles or 6 months, Subaru cannot require you get it done at a Subaru dealer so long as it is done appropriately. However, if the warranty states that it is void if the maintenance is not done, that is a contractual provision that will require YOU to PROVE that the oil was changed as required under the warranty contract in order to keep that contract in force. I would read the warranty book very carefully before electing NOT to do the manufacturer required maintenance, unless of course you don't think the remainder of your factory warranty is worth say $50?

There are many good summaries of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act online. One, primarily for business owners - those issuing warranties can be found here: www [dot] mlmlaw [dot] com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/toc.htm

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
82 Posts
My dealer wants me to come in at 3,750. I asked why. They said, "So we can check out the whole car and make sure it's ok." I think I'll wait until 6,000 so I'm on a proper oil & tire rotation schedule. Thanks for confirming the factory intervals are the way to go!

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
If the warranty contract requires an oil change every 6000 miles or 6 months, Subaru cannot require you get it done at a Subaru dealer so long as it is done appropriately. However, if the warranty states that it is void if the maintenance is not done, that is a contractual provision that will require YOU to PROVE that the oil was changed as required under the warranty contract in order to keep that contract in force. I would read the warranty book very carefully before electing NOT to do the manufacturer required maintenance, unless of course you don't think the remainder of your factory warranty is worth say $50?

+1, as I've mentioned several times, my son is a service advisor. He routinely is asking customers for maintenance receipts, which by and large few seem to have. Sorry Charlie, no free engine for you.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,861 Posts
Sort of related: I just logged in to the MySubaru site and neither one of my previous two oil changes show up in the service history any more. The only thing that still shows up there is the manual entry I put in last November when I put on my new snow tires so I have a record for rotation interval. I'm not sure what is up with that.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,508 Posts
Sort of related: I just logged in to the MySubaru site and neither one of my previous two oil changes show up in the service history any more. The only thing that still shows up there is the manual entry I put in last November when I put on my new snow tires so I have a record for rotation interval. I'm not sure what is up with that.
This issue has periodically raised itself with that website. Bottom line: If you want to maintain important records, record it yourself using whatever method you're comfortable with. If you want it to be 100% under your control and readable by anyone who has the car in their shop for service, get one of these here high-tech devices like I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Mead-Composition-Notebook-Ruled-Sheets/dp/B00006IDM7

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,340 Posts
This issue has periodically raised itself with that website. Bottom line: If you want to maintain important records, record it yourself using whatever method you're comfortable with. If you want it to be 100% under your control and readable by anyone who has the car in their shop for service, get one of these here high-tech devices like I use:

And what the heck are you supposed to do with that thing. I cant see where you plug it in and appears to have NO buttons to push. Next thing you will be telling me it comes with a device known as a pencil. What the................

·
Super Moderator
8,508 Posts
And what the heck are you supposed to do with that thing. I cant see where you plug it in and appears to have NO buttons to push. Next thing you will be telling me it comes with a device known as a pencil. What the................
Pencil???

Sir, I take that as an insult. I'm not a Luddite, I do use this 1931 high tech invention for the data entry device:

History of Ballpoint Pens ? Who Invented Ballpoint Pen?

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
345 Posts
Hi,

My leased Outback will be 6 months old on March 30th. The car has 3,888 miles on it.

I got a notification to being the car in for 6000 mile oil change. Does anyone think I need to do this or wait until the car hits 6000 miles.

Thanks,
Doug

Take it in now. 6 months, or 6000 miles, whichever comes first, is clearly stated in the manual, and well known to be one of Subaru’s quirks. I took my 2018 Touring 3.6 in last week with 6 months and just 3050 miles on it, and had the routine tire rotation and oil change done. And they did a software update while I was there. Took an hour and $28, no big deal.

Since I don’t drive much, and Virginia requires a State Inspection once a year anyway, the six month interval fits well every second time I take the car in for service. Mainly, though, it keeps you squeaky clean with Subaru if any warranty issues come up. And if there are any software issues you get updated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,264 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,508 Posts
LOL.....stop making be spew coffee through my nose.
Agreed, will stop. For today.

I prefer to just keep all receipts in a folder I keep for each vehicle.
I do that also, for ultimate proof. That stays at home with me. The composition book is just a log in a summary form that is intended for me to leave with the car when it's serviced. And it actually came in handy twice to have it on the driver seat so the guy can read it.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I do that also, for ultimate proof. That stays at home with me. The composition book is just a log in a summary form that is intended for me to leave with the car when it's serviced. And it actually came in handy twice to have it on the driver seat so the guy can read it.
Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,861 Posts

Cool. I jumped on the option for a used one. Hopefully that will come with a complete maintenance history already entered so I won't have to mess with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.