Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2013 premium with manual trans and all weather package. I ordered the car rather than taking one off the lot. I was surprised to see that it was a PZEV, because that was not a feature I requested or paid for. Dealer said all manual trans outbacks are PZEV. This seems odd, since they cost less. Has anyone purchased a manual trans without pzev?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
What state are you in?
Also yes very possible that Subaru only makes certain models with PZEV given it costs them more to figure out which cars are and are not going to be built PZEV. And if a given model has the largest sales in states that mandate the PZEV emissions then it makes no sense for Subaru to build just a few random non PZEV models for whats sold outside of those states.

I actually would question why Subaru would build any of its vehicles in anything other than the PZEV format to start with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Indiana. I could see manual trans drivers also wanting pzev, I was just surprised that it was automatic and not an additional cost. All weather package seemed to be on every outback premium (even if ordered), but still cost extra.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Prem 6MT
3 Posts
Recently purchased a 2013 premium with manual trans and all weather package. I ordered the car rather than taking one off the lot. I was surprised to see that it was a PZEV, because that was not a feature I requested or paid for. Dealer said all manual trans outbacks are PZEV. This seems odd, since they cost less. Has anyone purchased a manual trans without pzev?
I have also recently ordered a 2013 premium with 6MT, and it sounds like it will come with PZEV. I was told that it was now standard and at "no additional cost". I won't be surprised if the cost is rolled into the invoice price. I will find out in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid just over 24000 + TTL for my car with the specs shown in my sig.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i 6M/T
18 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I bought a 2013 MT base, non PZEV here in Illinois back in September. They should just make em all PZEV.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
I am in California and my dealership where I am shopping (have not bought yet) told me all four cylinder outbacks are PZEV.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I am in California and my dealership where I am shopping (have not bought yet) told me all four cylinder outbacks are PZEV.
In Kali and a few other states but not everywhere.

·
Registered
97 Outback 240000
1,139 Posts
I started researching this and found some information. This will be helpful to me as I look for my new outback so I thought I would share it.
Because I am thinking of buying out of state I was glad to hear that the four cylinder OB in Oregon and Washington are also PZEV.

California Phase II Low-Emission Vehicle Standards

These are the current Low-Emission Vehicle standards; they are more stringent than Phase I Low-Emission Vehicle standards previously applicable in California:

• LEV II: Low-Emission Vehicle, the least stringent of the Phase II LEV standards. NOx emissions are one-quarter the level of a LEV I-certified vehicle.
  • ULEV II: Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle, a mid-level Phase II LEV standard. Hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions levels are nearly 50% lower than those of a LEV II-certified vehicle.
  • SULEV II: Super-Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle, a California standard even tighter than ULEV II, including significantly lower NOx emissions and more durable control systems.
  • PZEV: Partial Zero-Emission Vehicle, compliant with the SULEV standard; additionally has near-zero evaporative emissions and a 15-year/150,000-mile warranty on its emission control equipment.
  • ZEV: Zero-Emission Vehicle, a California standard prohibiting any tailpipe emissions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if this helps but I bought a 2013 MT base, non PZEV here in Illinois back in September. They should just make em all PZEV.
Maybe base models are available without PZEV, but Premium 6mt are not? Just a guess.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
Sorry to revive an older thread but I was able to order my 2013 Outback in August or September with the 6mt and without PZEV. I was very specific that I did not want PZEV.

Edited to Add: Mine is a premium as well.
Edited to Add 2.0: NO, not all Outbacks should be PZEV. I plan on keeping on my outback until the wheels fall off. I do not want the added repair expenses from the PZEV stuff like the more expensive catalytic convertor.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I would venture to say a 2013 Premium 6MT w/o PZEV is a pretty rare bird.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts