Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6MT clunking on take off: Is this common?

I have had a pretty loud clunking/rattling on my '11 outback with the 6MT since new. It happens when releasing the clutch from a stop and bogging the engine a bit (not giving any gas). It is exacerbated if done on an incline either forward or reverse. The clunking sounds like it comes metal on metal rapping relating to the shaking of the motor under these conditions. It is what I would expect a broken engine mount to sound like.

I had the dealer look at it a while back and they spent some time trying to track it down, but no dice. They shrugged and said, must be normal. <sigh> My plan is to take it back and be a bit more forceful on resolution.

Ahead of that, I would like to know if this sounds familiar to any other manual owners? I did a couple quick searches and did not see anything pop up.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you can post a video of it.

The AWD MT will make a thunk sound when you drop the clutch hard however most MT cars will make some sort of sound under that type of use.

Any car can have a exhaust hangar or heat shield or other various items that bang into things or rattle when you load up the drive gear and move them under the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I can, but wasn't necessarily looking for help diagnosing (although I certainly don't mind). I am looking to see if anybody has this noise. If your car did this, you would know exactly what I am talking about. And it isn't from dropping the clutch, it is more slowly releasing without touching the throttle so it bogs a bit.

This is my 4th Subaru MT vehicle (5th if you count my two front clips :p), and this is certainly out of the norm.

-Rob

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yes I can, but wasn't necessarily looking for help diagnosing (although I certainly don't mind). I am looking to see if anybody has this noise. If your car did this, you would know exactly what I am talking about. And it isn't from dropping the clutch, it is more slowly releasing without touching the throttle so it bogs a bit.

This is my 4th Subaru MT vehicle (5th if you count my two front clips :p), and this is certainly out of the norm.

-Rob
My 2001 had a hangar on the exhaust that was fouled up - resulted in the exhaust banging against the bottom of the car. Easy fix once I figured out what was going on.

·
Registered
814 Posts
My '11 2.5, CVT had an annoying rattling from under the car. Out of curiosity the center muffler under the middle of the cars heat shield was slightly loose. Must have had some brush, rocks or dirt make it loose from several of my many off- Roading adventures in the car. I was able to slightly bend it enough to stop the rattling.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hmm, the only clunking I get is when I stall it or it comes close to stalling when I don't give it enough gas, which I consider normal.
Same here, but I would not describe it as a metallic clunking, more of a muffled thudding of the engine barely running.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, interesting. Perhaps it is common behavior but maybe the intensity varies? I understand additional "noise" from a bogging engine as it flops around, but what I experience with the outback is louder and more pronounced than anything I have ever heard. I certainly would not characterize it as "normal" bogging sound.

I will work on getting a video made. Thanks for the input so far.

-Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have had a pretty loud clunking/rattling on my '11 outback with the 6MT since new. It happens when releasing the clutch from a stop and bogging the engine a bit (not giving any gas). It is exacerbated if done on an incline either forward or reverse. The clunking sounds like it comes metal on metal rapping relating to the shaking of the motor under these conditions. It is what I would expect a broken engine mount to sound like.

I had the dealer look at it a while back and they spent some time trying to track it down, but no dice. They shrugged and said, must be normal. <sigh> My plan is to take it back and be a bit more forceful on resolution.

Ahead of that, I would like to know if this sounds familiar to any other manual owners? I did a couple quick searches and did not see anything pop up.

Thanks,
Rob
Same diagnostics than Crazy88. This sounds like your engine is on the point of stalling!
Give more throttle while you release the clutch pedal...
Rev the engine at 1,500 rpm when you engage the friction point and it will be fine !

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Same diagnostics than Crazy88. This sounds like your engine is on the point of stalling!
Rev the engine at 1,500 rpm when you engage the friction point and it will be fine !
No doubt bogging the engine will cause sounds like this given your shocking the drive lines with loads that are not constant. Shifting at too low of an RPM/speed for the cars gearing does nothing but cause added wear and stress to the drive lines.

Also every car built for many years now are designed to return optimum fuel consumption at rpms and vehicle speeds that fit the gearing meaning if your lugging the car or shifting to a larger gear at too slow of a speed your actually not running the car at is most efficient speed or RPM - so people who do this thinking they are saving gas are actually doing the opposite and getting worse mileage than they would get if they were to simply run higher RPMs and not lug gears.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No doubt bogging the engine will cause sounds like this given your shocking the drive lines with loads that are not constant. Shifting at too low of an RPM/speed for the cars gearing does nothing but cause added wear and stress to the drive lines...
Hey guys,

First, thanks for taking the time to respond. Not meaning to sound like a jerk, but I know how to drive a **** stick. I have driven them exclusively for 20+ years (and 30+ if you count tractors). No more lectures on how to drive, please! :)

Out of every single MT car that I have driven (mine or others) which easily exceeds 25, I have never-ever-ever experienced this kind of powertrain noise from boggy starts. Yes things moan and groan, but do not go "whack-whack-whack".

I am not describing a problem with my driving habits, I am explaining the condition that most demonstrates this noise. If it is a common noise, then I won't waste my time fighting the dealer and learn to live with it. If I have it different or louder than others then I want it taken care of, if for nothing else but resale issues.

-Rob

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hey guys,

First, thanks for taking the time to respond. Not meaning to sound like a jerk, but I know how to drive a **** stick. I have driven them exclusively for 20+ years (and 30+ if you count tractors). No more lectures on how to drive, please! :)

Out of every single MT car that I have driven (mine or others) which easily exceeds 25, I have never-ever-ever experienced this kind of powertrain noise from boggy starts. Yes things moan and groan, but do not go "whack-whack-whack".

I am not describing a problem with my driving habits, I am explaining the condition that most demonstrates this noise. If it is a common noise, then I won't waste my time fighting the dealer and learn to live with it. If I have it different or louder than others then I want it taken care of, if for nothing else but resale issues.

-Rob
One tip VIDEO IT! Till then no one can even start to figure what it is your hearing. Heck it could be your mud flaps aren't installed right or faulty shape and catch the tires when you accelerate hard from a stop. Or that phalic shaped item under the trunk floor rolling around. Just saying this is like asking the blind guy what color his shoe laces are.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One tip VIDEO IT! Till then no one can even start to figure what it is your hearing. Heck it could be your mud flaps aren't installed right or faulty shape and catch the tires when you accelerate hard from a stop. Or that phalic shaped item under the trunk floor rolling around. Just saying this is like asking the blind guy what color his shoe laces are.
Yes indeed.

I will work on getting a video made. Thanks for the input so far.
-Rob
Probably in a few days.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey guys,

-Rob
Ours does the same thing - never heard i before in any MT car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also every car built for many years now are designed to return optimum fuel consumption at rpms and vehicle speeds that fit the gearing meaning if your lugging the car or shifting to a larger gear at too slow of a speed your actually not running the car at is most efficient speed or RPM - so people who do this thinking they are saving gas are actually doing the opposite and getting worse mileage than they would get if they were to simply run higher RPMs and not lug gears.
You're totally right. Often, it's better to leave in fifth gear at 2 800 rpm than downshift to sixth à 2 200 rpm, as the eco gauge will tell you.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Thanks,
Rob
Hi,

I don't have an OB as yet but what you describe sounds a lot like the rattle/clunk a dual-mass flywheel makes. BMW has used these for years and both my cars exhibited some degree of "clunking". Do you hear it at idle with the gearbox in neutral? If you do (and it may be very subtle and not happen always), try pushing the clutch pedal fully down. If the noise goes away, that will confirm it's the flywheel.

I looked up the OB factory service manual and while it does not list the flywheel as dual-mass, it is listed as "flexible". I think that's the same thing.

The sound you hear is completely normal for a dual-mass. If it gets really loud, it may mean that the springs between the masses are failing. On my 535i (E34), the clunking was so bad at idle that other drivers would start looking around. Changing the gearbox solved the issue since it's a resonance caused by the flywheel and the input shaft of the gearbox.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have a 4th generation outback, but I do have a 2011 Legacy GT with a 6mt. No clunking. I've had 8 Subaru's with manual transmissions and the only one that's clunking on start out is my 2003 Outback with 177,000 miles and the problem is a differential mount that needs to be replaced. Keep bugging the dealer, it's not normal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
Porkman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing