Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback H6 LLBean Edition
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so the title says it all. I've done hours of research on the topic, and I've come up with a lot of scattered pieces of information, but nothing definite just yet. I know 4EAT's can be swapped for 5MT's, I know 5MT's can be swapped for 6MT's, but I don't know if 4EAT's can be swapped for 6MT's, or how hard such a job would be.

I'm very interested in doing a 6MT swap in my Outback, but I want to be pretty sure it works before I spend money on the parts hahaha.

Basically, my questions:
1. Has anyone ever done an EZ30D + 6MT swap before, and where is their thread or any documentation?
2. How hard would a swap like this be in comparison to any of the other swaps I just read about?
3. Does anyone have any other info that may be relevant?

Some threads that have been the most informative/inspiring so far:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...l?t=186828&highlight=2001+4eat+5mt+trans+swap

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...egacy-gt-wgn-auto-5spd-conversion-136840.html

Swapping in a USDM STi 6-speed for under $3000 (my story – long) - NASIOC

scoobytruck.com • View topic - Hello All, Newbie inside, but EZ30D Baja !! • Subaru Baja & Brat Forums

dyne's 1999 2.5rs - H6 EZ30D swap - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Thanks people :)

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 5MT
71 Posts
You basically found everything out there. With the exception of some.

Here's one well documented and successful swap. Albeit with a 5MT and in Australia.

Subaru Legacy International • View topic - keltiks EZ30 manual 5 speed swap thread

The guy's build thread: dope azz car. Subaru Legacy International • View topic - keltik's 2002 Legacy GT30 - Updated 21/12/2011 - EZ30R

The trick really is the TCU.

I know where you're coming from though. The 4EAT in my H6 is smooth, but it always wants to keep the engine in it's economy sweet spot which let's be honest, isn't very fun.

Good luck man. You can do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You basically found everything out there. With the exception of some.

Here's one well documented and successful swap. Albeit with a 5MT and in Australia.

Subaru Legacy International • View topic - keltiks EZ30 manual 5 speed swap thread

The guy's build thread: dope azz car. Subaru Legacy International • View topic - keltik's 2002 Legacy GT30 - Updated 21/12/2011 - EZ30R

The trick really is the TCU.

I know where you're coming from though. The 4EAT in my H6 is smooth, but it always wants to keep the engine in it's economy sweet spot which let's be honest, isn't very fun.

Good luck man. You can do it.
Thanks bro. Hadn't seen that thread; very helpful. And that guy's car is sweet hahaha.

Yeah, every thread I saw pointed at the TCU as the problem spot. Some quick wiring changes (relay in the neutral switch, doing something with the speed sensor, etc.) usually does the trick, from what I've seen. Not sure about the 6-speed though... might be some more stuff required to make it work flawlessly, and I'm gonna need to figure out the DCCD if I run with a DCCD transmission. Gonna try to keep ABS if I can... do you think using an australian TCU from a BL 3.0 Spec B would work (mine is an EZ30D, that car is an EZ30R)?

Also, probably going to swap out my rear diff and axles, unlike the guy in the thread you posted up. If I were to replace the rear diff with an R180 and run STI axles all around, would I also need STI hubs? Also, would STI hubs even fit on the BH? Side note: I would love an excuse to run Brembos hahaha.

·
Registered
71 Posts
His car was an EZ30D when he first swapped the trans. He kept the factory ECU/TCU which was causing the delay, CEL and rich spike.

When he switched to standalone, everything was fixed. If you want it to run flawlessly, you will have to score standalone.

The 6MT and 5MT have the same bellhousing so you're fine as long as the rear diff is matching. You can run STI axles as well as hubs. Remember, for the most part, these cars are legos.

I'd love to see this happen. Did you watch that guy's videos? The sound of a uncorked EZ running through actual gear changes is spine tingling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His car was an EZ30D when he first swapped the trans. He kept the factory ECU/TCU which was causing the delay, CEL and rich spike.

When he switched to standalone, everything was fixed. If you want it to run flawlessly, you will have to score standalone.

The 6MT and 5MT have the same bellhousing so you're fine as long as the rear diff is matching. You can run STI axles as well as hubs. Remember, for the most part, these cars are legos.

I'd love to see this happen. Did you watch that guy's videos? The sound of a uncorked EZ running through actual gear changes is spine tingling.
Yeah man, the Subaru 6-cylinders have an awesome note when you open them up. Although I'm probably going to focus on getting my suspension sorted more than he did as well; his car is so wallowy in the corners hahaha.

This is brainstorming for the future, but do not worry - I will definitely document the build in ample detail when it happens :29:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
Dangit you guys and talking about an H-6 with a 6MT... making me want to do something crazy with my brand-new 3.6R.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd tell you how improved the EZ36R is compared to our EZ30D in terms of longevity, power, and torque but you'd probably want to just chuck money down it's throat. ;p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts