Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Premium, AWP, moonroof
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already have a 4 plug on my 2011 OB and need to get it converted over to a 7 pole plug to tow a pop up camper. Have all of the necessary supplies from etrailer (electronic brake controller and 7 pole install kit) and the process looks pretty doable.

Couple of questions for others out there who may have done this conversion:

1 how/ where did you do the connections for the flat plugs. Did you cut off the connector ends on the existing flat plug and the flat plug that comes with the install kit and just connect them directly with a crimp connector and feed things rhrough an existing grommet hole? I really don't want to have the wires from the existing harness hanging out of the trunk hatch all of the time (with the 4 plug i kept it in the foam tray and just pulled it out as needed) and don't want to make a large hole in the spare tire compartment to run the wires to the outside.

2 when putting on the electric brake controller, where did you make the connection for the brake signal? I got a wiring diagram from the dealership, and crawled under the dash to see where things were and just stared for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update- found some nice looking holes with grommets under the spare tire that should work nicely. Just poke em out, run the wire and seal them back up and spray over with rubber stuff I have left over from my grill paint project.

Still considering running the power and brake sensor wire through the interior of the car to the engine compartment. Might be easier than crawling under to run wiring to the front (since I don't have access to a lift) and there is a nice access hole/grommet above the steering linkage that I can access.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you get this wired with a brake controller? I have a 2012 OB and need to get it wired as well. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nearly done with the project. Wasn't in a rush s poked away at over a cople of evenings. Ran the wiring internally under all of the carpeting after crawling under the Scooby and unable to find a good path.

Went through the side in the back where the 4 pin controller unit was (driver side real wheel area), then under the back seat and up through the center to the armrest. Pretty easy gong once I got it to that point. Pulled the center faceplate where the radio is, since I mounted the brake controller module in that accessory compartment just below the radio so it was in easy view while towing, and did all of my hookups behind that plate where there is plenty of space.

There was a nice access hole in the firewall above the steering linkage, so I poped it out and used a straightened wire hanger to push through the firewall padding from the engine compartment and pull my wiring back through. Circuit breakers got mounted near the battery, and all the connections were made and completed at that point except for the "red" brake wire from the brake controller module. I don't have a circuit tester to find the right wire above the brake pedal, so I'll just have the delaership or a local place find it for me and leave a pigtail long enough to get it the module. It'll cost me a couple of bucks, but better than screwing that part up!

All in all, a decent project. Got all of the parts from etrailer (of course) and their videos and instructions were great!

I'll try to put up some pics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nearly done with the project. Wasn't in a rush s poked away at over a cople of evenings. Ran the wiring internally under all of the carpeting after crawling under the Scooby and unable to find a good path.

Went through the side in the back where the 4 pin controller unit was (driver side real wheel area), then under the back seat and up through the center to the armrest. Pretty easy gong once I got it to that point. Pulled the center faceplate where the radio is, since I mounted the brake controller module in that accessory compartment just below the radio so it was in easy view while towing, and did all of my hookups behind that plate where there is plenty of space.

There was a nice access hole in the firewall above the steering linkage, so I poped it out and used a straightened wire hanger to push through the firewall padding from the engine compartment and pull my wiring back through. Circuit breakers got mounted near the battery, and all the connections were made and completed at that point except for the "red" brake wire from the brake controller module. I don't have a circuit tester to find the right wire above the brake pedal, so I'll just have the delaership or a local place find it for me and leave a pigtail long enough to get it the module. It'll cost me a couple of bucks, but better than screwing that part up!

All in all, a decent project. Got all of the parts from etrailer (of course) and their videos and instructions were great!

I'll try to put up some pics.
I would be interested in the photograhs...where did you hook up the power for the battery charging circut on the trailer?

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hot lead ran the whole way from engine compartment through the interior to the 7 pin pigtail where I did the connection in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
2012, 2.5i, with hitch and rear bumper step pad, cargo mat
10 Posts
What wire did the red brake control wire finally get connected to at the shop? Could you take a picture to show it?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
A little late for the OP but may help others in the future.
When I did my 2012 Outback for a 7 way connector when I had an existing 4 way I used a ETBC7 kit from Etrailer. The kit has the 7 way vehicle side connector and a connector that plugs to the existing 4 way.
The 7 way vehicle side connector also has a 4 way integral to the connector so you still have the 4 way and the 7 way. It also includes the circuit breakers for the brake controller and the 12 volt charge line. It includes 10 ga wire for the brake controller and 12 volt charge line.

·
Registered
2012, 2.5i, with hitch and rear bumper step pad, cargo mat
10 Posts
red wire brake controller question

A little late for the OP but may help others in the future.
When I did my 2012 Outback for a 7 way connector when I had an existing 4 way I used a ETBC7 kit from Etrailer. The kit has the 7 way vehicle side connector and a connector that plugs to the existing 4 way.
The 7 way vehicle side connector also has a 4 way integral to the connector so you still have the 4 way and the 7 way. It also includes the circuit breakers for the brake controller and the 12 volt charge line. It includes 10 ga wire for the brake controller and 12 volt charge line.
I have already installed all the wiring and fuses but I have one final task. The red wire from the brake controller needs to be connected to the cold side of the brake signal (presumably the brown-white as per other posts). When I talked to mu subaru dealership, they said to connect it further upstream to a brown wire to avoid electrical resistance changes. So the question remains... where have people connected the red brake lead from the controller? Any pictures or diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
I ran mine back to the rear and hooked it up to a brake light. I was running wires anyway to the rear, and I just hate trying to splice wires way up under the dash. There is just no room for my big head along with hands, tools and elbows.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I have already installed all the wiring and fuses but I have one final task. The red wire from the brake controller needs to be connected to the cold side of the brake signal (presumably the brown-white as per other posts). When I talked to mu subaru dealership, they said to connect it further upstream to a brown wire to avoid electrical resistance changes. So the question remains... where have people connected the red brake lead from the controller? Any pictures or diagrams would be greatly appreciated.
I connected it to the brown/white wire with a scotch lock. Works great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts