Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so confused!,
I have gotten a lot of conflicting information on whether or not I can use 4 ohm speakers with the McIntosh sound system that is in my 2004 H6 VDC Outback sedan. The original McIntosh speakers in the front doors are 8 ohms. The foam surround had turned to dust so I bought a surround foam repair kit that is supposed to be specifically for these speakers. With the new foam surrounds installed they now sound worse than they did when the foam was dust.
I have decided to replace the speakers. The McIntosh speakers from Subaru are quite pricey for what you get (IMO). There are very few options available for 8 ohm car speakers in a 6 or 6.5 inch size. Thus my situation.
I hope that someone on our forum with real life experience can tell me if I can use a quality 4 ohm speaker in place of the original 8 ohm Macs with no damage to amp, power head or other components in my original system.

Thanks, H6VDC

·
Registered
2013 OBW 2.5i, & 2002 WRX
136 Posts
Here is the best I can tell you in simple terms...
If there are any passive X-overs, the "ohms" matter due the calculations in component choices. It will throw off the frequency they operate at.
Also, if you put 4 ohm speakers in place of 8 ohm it may cause a little more "stress" in the amp, if it can handle the heat & is well made it may be ok, it could also fail due to overloading.

Seems like these may have been recommended on another forum, but you should call & see if they will handle "free air" setup.
You should replace is pairs for sonic matching.

6.5" Speakers 8ohm

Madisound

·
Registered
1 Posts
Opposite!! Putting a 8 ohm speaker will put less "load" on the amp, the trick is that when using power equation you're going to cut the volume in 1/2 making you pump up the volume more in turn "stressing" the amp more but it will be less likely to burn up at 100% volume than a 4 ohm speaker.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2013 OBW 2.5i, & 2002 WRX
136 Posts
When you get done with remedial electronics 101 let me know, the ammount of current that can be drawn with a higher load (4 ohms) can be enough to damage poorly built amps not designed for lower impedance loads. Dampening Factor & Dynamic Headroom will also be greatly affected.
Musical transitions factor in as Impedance & lower impedances on the output FET's generate more heat. "pumping up the volume" equates to pre-amp gains & the output does change for a given ohm value due to perceived volume levels.
Other than crossover issues, the amp will likely be fine on 4 ohms if no passive x-overs are used..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts