Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any other new '18 Subaru buyers get this? It's from Maritz CX and is an 8 page "study" ( not a survey, mind you ) covering...

- what vehicle I bought
- its equipment & accessories
- the reason I purchased it, and if I'm satisfied
- dealer and sales experience
- financing and incentives
- the role Internet played
- vehicle(s) i traded, and other vehicles in household
- personal background information, like cultural community, hobbies, income.

Wow! I've never received such a long survey, or study. Usually, I just get asked to submit a review on some web-site. This is way more questions than the tax forms I just filled out. :grin2:

I looked it up, HQ'd in Utah, and according to Wiki...

MaritzCX LCC is a customer experience (CX) and market research company providing consumer data analysis in real time. The company provides platforms for strategy and design consulting, mystery shopping, data analysis models, comprehensive program management, and data collection and validation services.

With all the bru-ha-ha over FB and Data Analytics, at least these folks are honest and up-front about collecting my data voluntarily. What I don't like, is that if I want to opt-out of future studies, I have to contact my manufacturer directly. Say what!

So far, I've not decided whether to fill it out, or feed it to the shredder. I'm still not happy about Subaru giving Sirius/XM my address, phone, and e-mail. Now I'm getting a 3 front attack to buy a subscription.

Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
I've fielded web surveys of almost 100 questions. Of cource because of skip patters most people would only be asked about 60. They are all anonymous. We don't collect names or Ip addresses or any of that. Usually we use a panel company like SSI to field them.

Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
We got one too. Pretty sure I did it online , filled out what I was willing to share to hopefully improve the brand.

Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
I filled out the Subaru survey on-line. I didn't think that it was vary good by the way. It didn't really address most of the stuff that I actually care about. But if a company that makes products or services does a survey, almost certainly it's not for some nefarious motive. It can cost at least $30,000 to field and analyze a survey. Of all of the ones that I've done it's always about what the customer wants (or doesn't want) to make something more appealing to the customer. Most of these survey do pay the respondent something for their time but that's handled by the list company.

Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
FWIW: MaritzCX is a legitimate company, part of Maritz Holdings LLC. The parent company is in St. Louis. I have been a contractor at Maritz Motivation Solutions and Maritz Travel in St. Louis. I thought it was a great company and great group of people to work for, and enjoyed my assignments there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW: MaritzCX is a legitimate company, part of Maritz Holdings LLC. The parent company is in St. Louis.
I believe that's true. But then, Sirius/XM is a legitimate company too, yet I'm not so happy that Subaru gave them so much of my information. Now they've given out my info to yet another 3rd party. I'll have to check the fine print of the sales contract to see if I unwittingly agreed to this.

Maritz CX is a company that I assume makes a profit selling information about customer satisfaction. For participating in the study, they're offering a sweepstakes entry for some cash prizes. Fine, but I'm still not interested in giving away so much of my personal information. This one's going into the shredder, and if I get another one, it will follow.

Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
FWIW: MaritzCX is a legitimate company, part of Maritz Holdings LLC. The parent company is in St. Louis. I have been a contractor at Maritz Motivation Solutions and Maritz Travel in St. Louis. I thought it was a great company and great group of people to work for, and enjoyed my assignments there.
That still doesn't make what they did any less irritating, if the OP never gave consent for the dealer to do this and instead was merely opted in by default.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Terms and Conditions on the Vehicle Purchase Agreement state that the company may contact me from time to time for, among other things, marketing purposes. I really don't mind getting offers from Subaru directly, but there's no mention of passing that information to outside parties for their own marketing purposes.

Their privacy policy is on their website, and there's an option to not receive any further correspondence. I filled that in, so now, hopefully, I'll only potentially get recall notices. :wink2:

Registered
2020 Premier 2.5 L
I believe that's true. But then, Sirius/XM is a legitimate company too, yet I'm not so happy that Subaru gavse them so much of my information. Now they've given out my info to yet another 3rd party. I'll have to check the fine print of the sales contract to see if I unwittingly agreed to this.
Most likely you did sign up for that. Otto鈥檚 Subaru in 2015 had you initial the contract in order to decline Sirius XM marketing. In 2018, they had reversed that so you had to initial in order to opt in to the marketing. (They said they had too many complaints about Sirius XM bugging their customers.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most likely you did sign up for that. Otto鈥檚 Subaru in 2015 had you initial the contract in order to decline Sirius XM marketing. In 2018, they had reversed that so you had to initial in order to opt in to the marketing. (They said they had too many complaints about Sirius XM bugging their customers.)
Actually, no, I didn't. The first page of the Vehicle Purchase Agreement has a section labelled PRIVACY STATEMENT (bolded heading). There are 2 check boxes. The first says "I have read the Privacy Statement on page 4. The second check-box says "By checking this box I consent to receiving marketing updated and information regarding products and services from Dealer and/or Dealer's parent Organization"; nothing about 3rd parties.

I checked the 1st box, because I actually did read everything before signing it; I always read anything I'm asked to sign. That section on page 4 refers to the on-line Privacy Policy, which at the time, I was not provided a copy. I did not check the 2nd box giving my informed consent, because I wasn't fully informed. My wife and I both had to sign this section.

The on-line Privacy Policy states...
- to permit Subaru, our dealers and/or carefully selected third parties to contact you by mail, email, text, cell/telephone, or other means of telecommunication to provide you with news, information, updates, advertising, and promotions about products and services that may be of interest to you.

Then under the Consent section...
Your consent also may be implied or implicit through your conduct when it is reasonable and legally permissible for us to do so.

Under Canadian law (PIPEDA), consent can be implied by the actions, or inactions, of an individual. By not checking the box on the Purchase Agreement and by using the web-page to explicitly opt-out, my actions are clear. If I keep getting unsolicited stuff from 3rd parties, then I'll make a formal complaint to the Privacy Commissioner.

Registered
2020 Premier 2.5 L
Actually, no, I didn't. The first page of the Vehicle Purchase Agreement has a section labelled PRIVACY STATEMENT (bolded heading). There are 2 check boxes. The first says "I have read the Privacy Statement on page 4. The second check-box says "By checking this box I consent to receiving marketing updated and information regarding products and services from Dealer and/or Dealer's parent Organization"; nothing about 3rd parties.

I checked the 1st box, because I actually did read everything before signing it; I always read anything I'm asked to sign. That section on page 4 refers to the on-line Privacy Policy, which at the time, I was not provided a copy. I did not check the 2nd box giving my informed consent, because I wasn't fully informed. My wife and I both had to sign this section.

The on-line Privacy Policy states...
- to permit Subaru, our dealers and/or carefully selected third parties to contact you by mail, email, text, cell/telephone, or other means of telecommunication to provide you with news, information, updates, advertising, and promotions about products and services that may be of interest to you.

Then under the Consent section...
Your consent also may be implied or implicit through your conduct when it is reasonable and legally permissible for us to do so.

Under Canadian law (PIPEDA), consent can be implied by the actions, or inactions, of an individual. By not checking the box on the Purchase Agreement and by using the web-page to explicitly opt-out, my actions are clear. If I keep getting unsolicited stuff from 3rd parties, then I'll make a formal complaint to the Privacy Commissioner.
That is consistent with my experience with the 2018: I did nothing to explicitly opt in; I have received no marketing stuff via email, only one postal piece from Subaru Canada.

On the other hand, this might be just fortuitous as Otto鈥檚 had confused my email address with that of my son who had obtained an Impreza from them in 2014. I must ask him if he gets email from Sirius XM. :smile2::smile2:

Added: I asked him. No, he hasn鈥檛 received anything from Sirius/XM.( I don鈥檛 know why you have.)

Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
Remember that with SiriusXM, you are considered a customer because of your initial trial period. So the Subaru 3rd party agreement doesn't apply to them. They have their own privacy policy.

I even get emails from SXM for my GTI, which was purchased used and I don't recall it having a trial period. Of course, I'm in the US, so consumer laws could differ from our neighbors to the north. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Remember that with SiriusXM, you are considered a customer because of your initial trial period. So the Subaru 3rd party agreement doesn't apply to them. They have their own privacy policy.

I even get emails from SXM for my GTI, which was purchased used and I don't recall it having a trial period. Of course, I'm in the US, so consumer laws could differ from our neighbors to the north. :)
An unwilling customer, I might add. Had I been given the choice, I would have declined the free trial.

Sirius/XM has called my home phone number 18 more times after the first call when I very politely ( I'm Canadian, after all ) told them that I do not spend so much time in my car that their service would be useful for me. After the second call, I added them to my 'blocked list' and selected to deliver a busy signal whenever they call. I think that's more annoying to the caller than a no-answer, or not-in-service message. >:)

If I'm not mistaken, I think US law is more geared to protect citizens from their government; whereas in Canada and Europe, the privacy laws apply to the private sector.

Registered
It took a long time of repeated requests that they stop, both phone and email before Sirius/XM finally left me alone.

I knew from the beginning there was zero chance that I would be paying for any subscription.

Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
The main problem I have with Sirius/XM is that 鈥 while you can always get a deal for subscription well asking price 鈥 once you are subscribed it renews at full price automatically; however, you cannot just cancel your account using the web interface. You have to call and argue with someone who's job is to keep you from cancelling. Otherwise, I would pay for shorter term subscriptions when I go on road trips. In the old days when Sirius and XM were separate services I had Sirius and could get the service month-by-month.

I do like having SiriusXM traffic, but the complimentary subscription on that is for 3 years, so I don't have to worry about until 2021. My S/XM radio subscription expires in June. I might do a six-month subscription to cover road trips I'll be taking between now and the end of the year.

Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
I talked them into the $60 annual price, and if they won't match that when it's renewal time I'll cancel. With tax, that's a hair under $6 per month, so it's worth it for me. I can waste more than that in a day, so it's chicken feed for a month. My wife wasn't convinced until she discovered the 60s channel. Then it was OK. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts