Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, question on compatibility - have a 99 OBW with no motor, and have a friend who's got an older Legacy (1992) with a 2.2, but it's a front wheel drive model.

Any chance the '92 could be a donor for the motor? It's pretty shot as far as the body goes, but it runs good.

Didn't know if that big a difference in years, and if the 2WD vs. AWD made any difference.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
it should bolt in and run, but i don't think the 92 has EGR which the 99 needs. so you will have a check engine light forever. and in some states that will keep a car from passing inspection.

engines that will work, some years are an easier swap than others.
95 - 98 ej22 with EGR (usually auto trans car)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The '92 motor would be OBD while the '99 would be OBD II. You could use the short block if you could get the heads, sensors and everything else from the '99 to bolt up. Otherwise, you would need to use the electronics for the '92 and adapt it to the '99 harness. Way too much trouble with so many more compatible options available.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i have heard this and i don't really understand.

what sensors does the 95 engine hve that the 92 engine does not?
please correct me if i'm wrong because i don't know, but i would think the OBD 2 difference is in the computer, not the sensors, block or the heads themselves. (EGR not withstanding)

TPS - yes
IAC - yes
cam and crank - yes
ECTS - yes
o2 - well there is at least one , but that's not on the engine so it does not matter.
whatelse?

i know if you swap an OBD2 intake on to the 92 block you will have no issues, but i don't know that it will not run with the 92 intake.

right ? or wrong?

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
92 is not plug and play, different wiring harness and sensors. so it's not a bolt in swap. need a 95+ intake manifold to make it work, then it's plug and play.

the EJ25 has dual port exhaust and EGR so any swapping needs to bare those things in mind.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
92 is not plug and play, different wiring harness and sensors. so it's not a bolt in swap. need a 95+ intake manifold to make it work, then it's plug and play.

the 92 needs to have EGR.
92 also needs to have dual port exhaust or simply swap the exhaust manifold with it if it's a single (but i think they are double?).

the EJ25 has dual port exhaust and EGR so any swapping needs to bare those things in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
idosubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing