Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Audi A8, 2002 Outback
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our 2002 4cyl Outback is sitting at about 92k miles and I'm considering what scheduled maintenance is needed.

My first questions is the obvious biggie, the timing belt - the service manual say check every 30k or so (not done) and change at 120k. I'm wondering how easy this job is, what special tools I'll need and what kit you guys recommend - one with the belt, cams, water pump and / or oil pump?

(I'm thinking it has to be easier that my Audi A8 who also needs a timing belt done in a while but requires $1500 of special tools that I'll have to rent from Blauparts - but that's another story right!!)

I also think that I have an oil leak as I swear when I push the car, driving up a very steep hill here outside of Boulder and come to a stop I can smell oil but see no leak - crank seal ???

What else do I need, radiator flush, brake fluid flush etc ????

Another option is to sell the bloody thing and get a E39 528i touring wagon (Top Gear Christmas Special !!!) but I suggested this to my better half and it ended badly :( I love rawness of the Subie, the steering feel is better than my lumbering A8 but she always seems to be straining up the hills here at 5600ft and higher and like I said before, for long trips the she is such a noisy little bugger compared to the Audi - we normally leave her behind and take the gas guzzling pig instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Timing belt spec is 105,000 miles or 105 months, whichever comes first.

105 months would have been in 2010, so get on it.

I don't think you need any special tools for the SOHC engine.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Change timing belt, ALL tensioners/pulleys, water pump, crank and cam seals. Reseal oil pump. Suggest changing tstat (Subaru part only!) and changing coolant if it is due.

There are threads in our DIY subforum detailing how to do this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts