Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new here but I've been looking all over and haven't found anyone having my exact problem. I just finished the 5speed swap into my 93 Subaru legacy. The car has been rwd swapped but that's not the important part RN. I'm having this super weird issue where it'll idle fine and drive okay for about 10-15 minutes depending if I'm driving conservative or if I'm getting on it. Then it will start to die. The idle gets super rough regardless of if I'm in gear or in neutral. The car is also in limp mode but I have no reason why as I took the car too the track after I finished it and it was fine. I've dumped a bunch into the car trying to solve my issue. New knock sensor, O2 sensor, cam and crank position sensors. Haven't replaced the mag but we know that it works and it's been cleaned. Any help would be great as this is my daily as well as my fun car.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,779 Posts
Generally when an engine runs good cold and then starts stumbling or misfiring after it's been run a while it leads to the coil or ignitor (small black box on the firewall). Other factors would be an old fuel filter or the fuel pump is unable to move fuel after running a while. I'd suggest you check that the engine is getting up to temperature and the sensor is working in conjunction with the actual temperature.

Does the MIL light up when it acts up?
Did you test the coil at the times it acts up or after the car cooled off?
How's your grounding? Is the alternator working all the time? Have you load tested the alternator? Does it matter whether accessories are running or not? Lights, AC if you have it, etc?

Is the engine a stock 2.2 or have you done some modifications?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is a stock 2.2 L with 273K I tried to use the ignitor from the parts car to no avail. I cleaned up every ground and the alternator acts fine. Doesn't matter with or without accessories. It has literally a brand new fuel filter, less than 100 miles probably. We're also thinking it could maybe be the tps has gone bad? Trying to find a local one with lower miles but that's a little difficult in my area, everyone who had one of these cars drove it to the ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check that when it's not raining, and I'm probably gonna clean the throttle body soon, I bought a new tps just because of how cheap it was and how many miles are on this one.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,485 Posts
You did remember to change the "AT/MT identifier" pin on the ECU, correct? If not, the car is probably trying to rectify the change in engine load while still reading "Park/Neutral" (assuming you just tucked the auto trans PRNDL switch under the dash like 99% of people do).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried both methods, no dice. The tuck under with some wires connected to trick car into thinking its in neutral and let me take the key out was working fine, had full drivability car felt great. We thought that maybe it could've been the AT/MT pin so I did that grounded it out, but sadly I don't have the speedo sensors and one of the other sensors on the trans. We didn't think it would be that however as my brother has a full fledged drift Subaru build that's also 5-speed swapped and he just has the wires connected, no grounded pin( atleat I'm pretty sure he doesn't). From the videos I've found you can drive the car totally fine with just those 2 wires connected but you'll have no speedo and a check engine light. Check engine light doesn't matter for me as the car doesn't need inspection and a speedo isn't really the most important thing, I don't tend to speed much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts