Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Outback 2.2L/auto stone stock
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swings from about 500-1200 rpm at idle in park. Put the trans in gear (automatic) and you need to 2 foot it, and it still tends to die.

No trouble codes. Trans fluid level is fine, coolant level is fine, oil level is fine. New knock sensor. Revs up beautifully, but starts to stumble really bad if you let out of it. Plugs/wires have roughly 12K miles on them, air filter is a bit gray but seems to pass air through just fine.

Vacuum hoses are about 50% swapped out. I thought I heard a bit of a leak on the right side with it running this afternoon, front runner gasket area is disgusting, rear runner is spotless. Popped off the intake tube, throttle butterfly and intake manifold are pretty sooty.

EGR rod/piston whatever it is seems to move freely.

Going to spray around the gaskets and vacuum connections with it running, WD40 seems to work for anything else I test.

What else should I be checking? I thought plugged cat but, it revs great and there is a good amount of flow out the tailpipe.

California emissions legal car if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
does the car have cruise control? If it does follow the cable back to the servo and make sure it isn't dislodged, also not a bad idea to look at the pcv valve hoses, and brake booster for leaks.

·
Registered
95 Outback 2.2L/auto stone stock
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good, good and good.

I'll spray around the intake runner bases, throttle body and any vacuum ports this afternoon and see if I find a leak in any of them.

Would the OBD2 port give me any transmission codes, or is the 95 too old for a computer controlled transmission?

·
Registered
288 Posts
If the TB insides are sooty, then it is a good guess that the IACV is also sooty. Remove and clean thoroughly, making sure the valve rotates freely.
Use an impact screwdriver if you have, for those screws have a tendency to round.

No, you can't read tranny codes with an OBD scanner.

Do search for handshake method.

O.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts