Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
This is easy, tell your friend to stay home and not waste his time, I don't even know how often I've done this.

Clean up the crank and bolt a new (or used) pulley to it.

***You do not need the key way - at all***

If you are unsure, or fear the pulleys isn't going to bolt up flush (it probably will with a small amount of clean up) post pictures of your crank here and I'll give some pointers, confirmation. I can promise you it will hold if you do it properly.

When you bolt the new pulley on you just have to get it tight (but you always have to do that even for a crank with a key). It's a huge steel crank and bolt, not aluminum like the block - so it easily takes it. I use about a 2.5 foot cheater pipe over a socket and crank it really hard...i've never measured footpounds. One could entertain using non-permanent lock-tite but i never have.

The pulley absolutely will not come off and the key way is not needed. I've done it countless times over many years, including to the exact same engine that's in your car.

As an engineer myself, most engineers would not be that helpful as they are not trained or competent in this way. Hopefully being a fabricator he has a more practical bent to him. I'm an aerospace engineer with government birds flying over your head right now with stuff i've built on them, but that is almost useless - far more important is the mechanical Subaru experience with this exact issue.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
This is easy, tell your friend to stay home and not waste his time, I don't even know how often I've done this.

Clean up the crank and bolt a new (or used) pulley to it.

***You do not need the key way - at all***

If you are unsure, or fear the pulleys isn't going to bolt up flush (it probably will with a small amount of clean up) post pictures of your crank here and I'll give some pointers, confirmation. I can promise you it will hold if you do it properly.

When you bolt the new pulley on you just have to get it tight (but you always have to do that even for a crank with a key). It's a huge steel crank and bolt, not aluminum like the block - so it easily takes it. I use about a 2.5 foot cheater pipe over a socket and crank it really hard...i've never measured footpounds. One could entertain using non-permanent lock-tite but i never have.

The pulley absolutely will not come off and the key way is not needed. I've done it countless times over many years, including to the exact same engine that's in your car.

As an engineer myself, most engineers would not be that helpful as they are not trained or competent in this way. Hopefully being a fabricator he has a more practical bent to him. I'm an aerospace engineer with government birds flying over your head right now with stuff i've built on them, but that is almost useless - far more important is the mechanical Subaru experience with this exact issue.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
there is two markings on the crank pulley; one a triangle on the outer portion and one a long tick on the outer tab......use the outer tab.
people make that mistake all the time, glad you caught it. i wonder if Subaru engineers did it on purpose and scour forums like this for late night giggles?

good job cranking it all out and getting back on the road.

just make sure that crank bolt is really tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.