Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OB 2.5L AT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: Just want to get some opinion on how owners fixed this.

Being a snow belt car, the bracket or the towers where the front sway bar mounting clamps is attached rusted out and needs to be replaced. It seems to be welded piece.

I am thinking of having a body shop weld new metal over it like a body cladding. Then just drill new holes where I can bolt the sway bar clamps with SAE 5 grade bolts. I will use new bushings and clamps.

Any other ideas, I would love to hear. thanks

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,443 Posts
Also if you add metal where the mount is now then the position of the sway bar is going to change which might adversely effect your steering.

·
Registered
2003 OB 2.5L AT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the car to a welding shop specializing in truck body & frame repairs. Showed the rusted sway bar mounts, they seem to understand what the job is, rebuild both driver and passenger side sway bar mounts.

I was told it will take a whole day to work on it, make a template to build from using the side that is in better shape as the pattern.

Thanks for the caution about potential steering concerns, I will bring it up to them to make sure they duplicate as close to the geometry and placement of the mounting plane.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts