Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 & 00 Legacy 02 Impreza's
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a problem with the battery going dead over night, I checked the battery and alternator both good. I then pulled the ground off and put a test light between and found a draw, started pulling fuses and found the interior light cicuit was the cause. when the car is off and no doors are open no lights are on? all the lights seem to be going on and off properly except there is no delay when you close the door. Does anyone know what would be causing the drain when no lights are visibly on?

·
Registered
18,413 Posts
Was the test light on bright, or just glowing dimly?

Can you identify exactly which fuse affected the drain? (See attached which should show the layout of the fuse panels on your car.) Some fuses power more than the circuit that is identified on the fuse panel layout sheet. So while it appears that pulling the "interior lights" fuse stops the drain, the actual drain could be due to something other than the interior lights.

Incidentally, there is always some residual current drain from the battery when the car is Off because some control modules, such as the keyless entry, and security (if equipped) have to be on all the time. But this drain should not discharge the battery overnight (if it was fully charged initially).

Attachments

·
Registered
96 & 00 Legacy 02 Impreza's
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it was #24, the car is not here right now but I will double check. The test light was glowing bright and when I pulled the fuse it went very dim and then out, after that I checked it multiple times with the fuse out it was only dim and then out which should be normal. The battery no longer drains overnight so I need to know where to start looking to diagnose.

·
Registered
18,413 Posts
Fuse 24 is for the headlight; fuse #25 is related to the interior lighting etc. Here's a list of what fuse 25 might supply (this is from a 97 wiring diagram):

Door lock timer
Headlight alarm relay
Interrupt relay
Radio
Security control module
Security indicator light
Spot light
Room light
Step light
Combination meter
Luggage room light
Trailer connector
Trunk room light

The door lock timer, interrupt relay, security control module and light, are all keyless entry/security-related.

The radio connection is to provide power for the presets (station memory).

The trailer connector is an interesting possibility, and should be checked, especially if the car has a hitch and the trailer adapter might still be installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts