Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange starting issue with my 2.5L. After the car is warm and I've been running some errands, I'll get in to start and the engine will just crank with no attempt at beginning to run. No sputtering or anything--makes me think it an ignition issue---but! If I take the air flow tube off right after the MAF and squirt some starting fluid in, put the tube back on and go to start the car, it will putter to life and then run fine. I never have problems with a cold start. When car is running it sounds and feels pretty good, except for a very low idle (which will jump up a little higher when I turn the A/C on, as expected).

Check engine light is on constant and I've made these repairs to the car:

Changed the fuel strainer and fuel filter (300 miles ago, I have a rusty gas tank issue, which seems to be getting better)
New PCV valve
New Air filter (3000 miles)
New Fuel pump (3000 miles)
New NGK iridium plugs and NGK wires (3000 miles)
Cleaned and tested the EGR valve--seems fine
Changed the rear 02 sensor with an OEM Denso (500 miles)

I went on a little road trip this weekend (roughly 500 miles) and the car ran great, 25 mpg on highway, but after 4 hours of highway driving the check engine light came back on--I had reset it after changing the fuel filters).

I've searched throughout the forum and can't seem to locate a similar issue (the not starting when warm). My codes which I just received (incidentally, I had the codes checked five minutes after I had used the starting fluid method) are the P0303, (leaking or blocked injector, cylinder 3 misfire,....) and the ever annoying P0420. Any suggestions on this issue?

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
IACV or possibly some weird injector failure?

You might try cycling the key to on, wait 5 seconds, then off, then on, wait 5...etc. - 5-6 times. That should pressure up the fuel rails in case they are loosing pressure somehow. Doubt it will help as that is usually a problem with an overnight time period and cold engine.

Throttle body cleaning might help.

seems unlikely to be a crank angle sensor since it starts witht e fluid trick.

hope someone has more than just guesses for you!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
maybe the ECTS. if the computer thinks it is cold when really hot or vice versa.

i'm not sure the starting fluid supports this idea, but ...

i read a funny thread several years ago with a similar problem. his wife called on the phone said the car would not start when hot. he told her to pour a large cup of cold water on the intake above the ECTS and it fired right up. he was slow to fix it, but she got good at keeping cold water on hand.

good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone else have some input on the chances that this may be the idle air control valve? Wouldn't this cause a high idle RPM? My idle is low, but I'm not sure how this would affect the warm start. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a similar issue, it only starts if i hold the the accelerator down a bit, and then idles VERY low, and it stalls out if you dont give it gas, and it stalls out while driving sometimes, did you find out the issue yet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Tyler2695
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing