Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 1996 Outback 2.5 automatic, and seems to be suffering pretty bad torque bind.

I replaced the tires so they are the same brand and all new. Also It gave me a trouble code of 32, which is the Speed sensor 1. Is this related to the torque bind you think?

Also when driving the check engine light will come on every now and again, but wont stay on for long.
I've read on here that changing the ATF can help, should I bother trying that? Or is it more likely that the duty c solenoid and or clutch packs need replacing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I tried the FWD fuse and nothing happened, no light came on and the bind remained, so i removed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it likely the fault code for the speed sensor is causing the wheel bind? Or could that error code have something to do with a stuffed Duty c because there was no response from the FWD fuse.

If so is there any point changing the ATF to try and help the bind

Thanks heaps in advance I have no experience with this.

Pat

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
Generally speaking, several drain/fill cycles to get fresh fluid in the transmission is cheap compared to almost any repair - clutchpack or solenoid 'could' be sticking due to gummy residue - but, it's also quite possible you have a bad duty c solenoid or mechanical wear preventing the clutches from fully disengaging. Some older 4EATs had an aluminum part that frequently wore and there was a steel replacement. Not sure which years that was for though.

I have no experience with the speed sensor problem you have but (is it a bad wheel tone-ring sensor or is it in the tranny?), using the FWD fuse should have bypassed any effect from it causing the computer to engage the AWD I'd think. Probably should leave the FWD fuse in place until the speed sensor is fixed.

maybe someone else will have an idea for further troubleshooting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply.

I ended up taking it to Subaru and they scanned it and came up with a bad o2 sensor so i replaced that and the engine light is gone.

The binding completely went away when i changed the oil a few times! So good news all round.

Cheers

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing