Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been lurking for a little while trying to find an answer to my airbag replacement situation but have been unsuccessful.

I have come into a salvage title, super clean 96 Outback, manual, 2.2 with only 120k on the clock. One owner car, really quite nice, we will be brining it back to life! Around the same time I also acquired a quite beat up but well running 95 Legacy, auto, 2.2 with 140k on it. I have plans for the engine from the 95 Legacy for other things and am using the parts to fix things I am able to on the Outback.

The 96 Outback looks like it was totaled by the insurance company when the PO must have hit something with the drivers side front wheel, bending the strut tower. Not sure why, or how hard the hit was, but this caused the airbags to deploy, taking the windshield with it, as usual.

The strut tower is swapped(not from the 95 Legacy, they are different), the old airbags are out and I want to install the replacement ones I have before I have the windshield done. I have two of the SRS Tech and Service manuals, but none of them direct me as to what or how much needs to be swapped out. Which brings me to my questions.

Its a 1996 so the SRS/Airbag sensor should be in the center console under the radio correct, not in the wheel wells and should not need to be swapped?? Will I be able to install the new airbags, clear whatever codes and be done with it?

Or are there more components to the system I need to replace?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Tim

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback | EJ22 | 400k miles | Dylan
29 Posts
The 1996 Outbacks have the sensors in both areas, under the radio and behind the wheel wells.
You should be able to install airbags from 96-99 cars as the steering wheels are the same.

You will have to get someone more experienced to ask about what sensors need to be changed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts