Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission in my 96 just started leaking all over my exhaust, and when I went to check the gear oil level it was 2 qts low. I was wondering if there were any specific areas I should check to start off with.

Another thing - this transmission is not new, but new to me and so I have no idea the history of this transmission but I know it's at about 200k (my car is at exactly 250k) and my ol wagon won't start sometimes and instead just makes a buzzing sound for the first ~15 times you turn the key (it always eventually starts) AND for a third thing my clutch makes a ticking noise when I push in the pedal which makes me think throwout bearing but if anyone else more knowledgeable about these 5 speeds has another idea I'd love to hear it.

Please help me I certainly need it :20:

·
Registered
12 Posts
For sure check the drain plug, can come loose or sometimes needs a new crush washer or new plug in general.

The starter could be going bad, maybe your battery, could be a voltage problem.

A ticking noise when you push in the clutch could be throw out bearing, could be pressure plate teeth. They come loose over time.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
trans seal...then

You just need a new clutch and associated components...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After about 5 minutes of driving the ticking when I push in the clutch subsides, if that helps determine what it is at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts